Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,193,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Agreed with the first part (it was obviously a joke, though, Mr Sensitive), but disagree with the second - Chicago pizza is definitely superior overall to Philly pizza.
Philadelphia's regular crust pizza is superior to Chicago's regular crust pizza. I never tried Chicago's niche deep dish pizza so I can't speak about it. Deep dish has to blow my socks off for me to agree with your opinion.

Last edited by nephi215; 10-08-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm not from Chicago. However, none of my Chicago friends eat deep dish. They do, however, go completely nuts for pizza spots all over town. Actual Chicagoans on this thread have confirmed this is true, and a survey of takeout orders shows that only around 8-9% of pizzas are deep dish (and a good % of these are tourists and out-of-towners). You're not keeping up at all.
I don't think you're getting the point. It's still part of Chicago cuisine. What percentage of the locals that actually eat deep dish pizza is irrelevant and I could care less.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM

2,567 posts, read 3,637,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
My opinion why I think Chicago is better than Philly. Now, remember kid, this is just my opinion.

1. Bigger, better downtown.
2. Better sports venues with less obnoxious/rude fans that Philly is notorious for.
3. The lakefront with access to beaches and sand dunes.
4. Food (I prefer our pizza and Italian joints to the cheese steaks)
5. More varied architecture.
6. More suburbs to choose from.
7. Closer proximity to the west, which I prefer over the east.
8. Airport(s) that service more international flights.
9. More Fortune 500 companies to choose from (if one were so inclined to want to work for one, as I was-- and did).

These are just my opinions, but you wanted em!
Philly is fine, but you're (the OP, not Steve-O) nuts or extremely subjective if you think Philadelphia is better than Chicago across objective variables. Chicago is a global city, along with a select handful of perhaps a dozen other cities. It has all the accoutrements (and negatives, that go with this standard) of being a large, globally centric metropolis. It has virtually everything. I will give Philly the nod for geographic location and history. COL is probably a wash, as is recreational activity.

Chicago has the better economy, transit, dining, museums, music culture (CSO/Lyric, blues), sports (though this is close), higher ed (also close), architecture, nightlife, vibrancy, etc.

And I say all this with affection for Philadelphia. It really is an interesting, iconic American city.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Philly is fine, but you're (the OP, not Steve-O) nuts or extremely subjective if you think Philadelphia is better than Chicago across subjective variables. Chicago is a global city, along with a hadful of perhaps a dozen other cities. It has all the accoutrements (and negatives, that go with this standard). It has virtually everything. I will give Philly the nod for geographic location and history. COL is probably a wash, as is recreational activity.

Chicago has the better economy, transit, dining, museums, music culture (CSO/Lyric, blues), sports (though this is close), higher ed (also close), architecture, nightlife, vibrancy, etc.
You're only correct with half of those. There are some things that Chicago does better than Philly while there are other things that Philly does better than Chicago.
It has never been a landslide victory across all categories for either city.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,366,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

This is your bias showing, though. They're pretty much a wash on most of these factors.

Philly has a better economy, better higher ed, and nicer architecture, transit, museums, and sports are a wash, and Chicago has better music, dining and nightlife.

An unbiased observer will agree the two cities are close, and a reasonable argument can be made for either city.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And I love when people just make up stuff.

There have been no stats posted on whether Chicagoans like deep dish pizza. You made that up.

But we know Chicagoland does love deep dish pizza, because there are hundreds of deep dish pizzerias all over Chicagoland, the vast majority in places that have no tourists. Obviously those places would all be out of business if Chicagoans didn't eat deep dish pizza.

The fact that claimed Chicagoans are actually debating with me on whether or not Chicagoans eat deep dish pizza shows that people on C-D will argue anything, no matter how silly and pointless.
? I've heard this said by Chicago natives many, many times--deep dish is usually for tourists or when you have out-of-town friends visiting. Or sometimes just for the hell of it. However, it's a rarity compared to other kinds of pizzas sold.

Here's a npr article about pizza in Chicago that does cite a stat from grubhub's data in Chicago. I think people are arguing with you because you're standing by a statement that simply doesn't ring true (for actual natives of the city and their observations).

Anyhow, if we're going to judge by their most well-known pizzas, then I prefer Philly's tomato pie which I really enjoy especially at room temperature or a bit cold. Or is there another pizza (pizza-esque) thing more popular and idiosyncratic to Philadelphia?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 AM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
SEPTA announces that weekend subway service is here to stay. That's great news for Philly as it continues to improve its 24-hour transportation service.

SEPTA overnight weekend service so popular it's staying
Pretty great. Are there any new expansion plans or even ongoing expansions for the system?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,730,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is your bias showing, though. They're pretty much a wash on most of these factors.

Philly has a better economy, better higher ed, and nicer architecture, transit, museums, and sports are a wash, and Chicago has better music, dining and nightlife.

An unbiased observer will agree the two cities are close, and a reasonable argument can be made for either city.
Except that Chicago metro's unemployment rate is 6.3% vs. 6.7% for Philadelphia's. Job growth is about the same in both metro's and GDP growth in 2013 for Chicago metro was 1.3% vs. 0.4% in Philadelphia's metro.

How is higher ed better?

Architecture is subjective.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty great. Are there any new expansion plans or even ongoing expansions for the system?
-The Norristown High Speed Line extension to King of Prussia, PA.

-Media/Elwyn regional rail line extension to Wawa, PA.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,366,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
? I've heard this said by Chicago natives many, many times--deep dish is usually for tourists or when you have out-of-town friends visiting. Or sometimes just for the hell of it. However, it's a rarity compared to other kinds of pizzas sold.

Here's a npr article about pizza in Chicago that does cite a stat from grubhub's data in Chicago. I think people are arguing with you because you're standing by a statement that simply doesn't ring true (for actual natives of the city and their observations).
I lived in Chicago for 5 years, and I am 100% confident that Chicagoans eat deep-dish pizza, and the one or two forumers claiming otherwise are full of crap.

The notion that it's "just for tourists" is absurd, because 99% of deep dish pizzerias aren't in tourist areas. If it's "just for tourists" then how do these pizzerias stay in business?

And I never claimed Chicagoans eat deep dish pizza every day. Obviously it's super-heavy and not really practical, at all, for regular consumption. But it's definitely popular in Chicago, or there wouldn't be hundreds of such restaurants throughout the metro area.

One of the most famous deep dish pizzerias in Chicagoland is called Burts. It's in Morton Grove, a suburb. How is that possible? Another is Pequods. One location in a non-tourist city retail corridor, the other in the suburbs. Louisas is another, also in the suburbs. Totoricie's in suburban Downers Grove.

Other famous deep dish pizzerias-

Nancys Pizza- 27 Chicagoland locations, none in tourist areas

Giordanos- 42 Chicagoland locations, three in tourist areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City