Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 13,651 times

Advertisements

I am very tempted to start my nursing career in denver because the quality of life the culture the people the variety in young professional men the sunshine the economy etc. but I do perfer beach over mountains and I will miss the south. Are there any coastal cities or cities closer to the coast that are like denver lol (no negativity please)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_adelle View Post
I am very tempted to start my nursing career in denver because the quality of life the culture the people the variety in young professional men the sunshine the economy etc. but I do perfer beach over mountains and I will miss the south. Are there any coastal cities or cities closer to the coast that are like denver lol (no negativity please)
No. The closest would be Seattle, I guess?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:36 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,461 times
I don't know. I wouldn't say Seattle. If anything I'd say Minneapolis, since Denver definitely is more like the midwest than it is the coasts. Although Denver has a large percentage of residents from outside the state/region, while in Minnesota probably 95%+ are from Minnesota or a state that borders it.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:49 AM

370 posts, read 863,173 times
Calgary is alot like Denver, imho. The Canadian Denver..

Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,834 times
What about Houston?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,856 times
I see similarities to San Diego. Was recently in both cities (like within the past month). Both are outdoorsy, progressive "new" cities. 16th St Mall + LoDo area reminds me of Gaslamp area in SD. Cherry Creek reminds me of UTC/La Jolla. Lakewood has equivalents in SD, as well. Both have mountainous backdrops and convenience (though skiing is only convenient to Denver, not SD). SD is more expensive with a beach. Denver is probably better for raising a family, and Boulder is great, too. Boulder's equivalent in Denver might be some of the beachy communities. There really isn't a strong equivalent, though.

I see very few if any similarities between Seattle and Denver.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:01 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
San Diego seems like the closest analogue for a Denver on the beach. Seattle comes in quite a bit further behind and its beaches aren't really much for lounging or diving into the water.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
San Diego or Phoenix.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I see similarities to San Diego. Was recently in both cities (like within the past month). Both are outdoorsy, progressive "new" cities. 16th St Mall + LoDo area reminds me of Gaslamp area in SD. Cherry Creek reminds me of UTC/La Jolla. Lakewood has equivalents in SD, as well. Both have mountainous backdrops and convenience (though skiing is only convenient to Denver, not SD). SD is more expensive with a beach. Denver is probably better for raising a family, and Boulder is great, too. Boulder's equivalent in Denver might be some of the beachy communities. There really isn't a strong equivalent, though.

I see very few if any similarities between Seattle and Denver.
I would agree with this. I met a lot of people from Denver when I lived in San Diego and I know a lot of people who have sinced moved from San Diego to Denver. They both have a lot of outdoor opportunities which I think attracts the same sorts of people. IMO Denver has better mountains but SD has not only mountains but also the beach, which might make it a better option for the OP since she prefers the beach.

I would actually say though that Boulder is (or is quickly becoming) more like Denver's version of La Jolla - large university (UCSD vs. Univ. of Colorado), extremely expensive, a tangible degree of NIMBYism, very beautiful (beach vs. mountains). Though Boulder still has a more small town feel to it.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:56 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Portland, Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City