Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,354,455 times

Advertisements

Factors
Crime
Things To Do
Food/Restaurants
Education Of People
Quality Of People
Parks
Pollution
Freeway System

The 10 Largest
1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Philadelphia
6. Phoenix
7. San Antonio
8. San Diego
9. Dallas
10. San Jose

My List (Best To Worst)
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Los Angeles
5. San Diego
6. Houston
7. Dallas
8. San Antonio
9. Phoenix
10. San Jose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 PM

233 posts, read 375,018 times
Chicago simply for the reason it is in the upper Midwest. I'm not big into the "trendy" areas of Chicago, however. Rather I really enjoyed my time when I worked in some of the nice south suburbs, a heavy Catholic working class culture that really seemed genuine to me. Probably part of the reason areas like St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Cleveland appeal to me too.

New York would be my 2nd - again, not because of the trendy areas - but probably because it is close to that "old industry" culture. And close to Buffalo - yes, I like NYC because it's "close" to Buffalo..... I just have a deep respect for those parts of the country!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,180,627 times
yawn.... as if Chicago vs. SF vs. Boston vs. whatever isn't enough... now we have 10

Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,606,547 times
OK, I'll play.

Crime - San Jose probably has the least

Things To Do - tie between NYC and L.A., for different reasons

Food/Restaurants - NYC

Education Of People - not sure what this means. Highest number of colleges and universities? Probably NYC.

Quality Of People - how does one even begin to measure such a thing. I'll leave this part to the trolls to answer.

Parks - No idea

Pollution - San Jose and San Diego are likely the cleanest.

Freeway System - San Antonio and Phoenix for best traffic flow, Los Angeles for highest number of freeways

Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 PM

57 posts, read 78,460 times
1. Los Angeles
2. New York
3. Chicago
4. San Diego
5. San Jose
6. Philadelphia
7. Dallas
8. Phoenix
9. Houston
10. San Antonio

LA's definitely the best city in America if you can afford to live in a nice area. If you're in the hills on the west side, life really doesn't get much better. I live 15 minutes from the beach, and a 3 minute walk to hiking trails. Very low crime in my area. Sort of an east coast feel but in LA, with very highly educated people. Pollution isn't a problem right by the ocean, but it is in LA generally. Overabundance of Italian food on the west side, but it also has a ton of sushi, food trucks, etc. Freeway traffic is a little overrated - I commute downtown every day and get there, 15 miles away, in 20-25 minutes morning and afternoon, although traffic on the other side of the freeway is very slow so I'm just lucky to have that.

There's no other big city someone can live in and surf and ski in the same day. As for being in the city itself - well, LA's downtown sucks and New York is incredible. Chicago's pretty nice too, like New York but more convenient in most ways because it's a fraction of the size. San Diego is alright, really tiny though. But it's clean and the traffic isn't bad - it's a sanitized version of LA, and I really don't mean that in a good way. San Jose is similar but it's not by the beach. I'd live in San Mateo county before San Francisco or San Jose though. As for the other cities - well, I don't know much about Philadelphia but I do know it is one of those old cities that has much in common with Chicago, NY, Boston and DC, meaning it's dense, good public transit, etc. People talk about LA pollution but I was in Phoenix last winter and the air pollution there has gotten awful over the past 20 years. I used to like Phoenix, but the traffic's pretty bad these days as it's grown so much.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,606,042 times
I think you meant to ask 10 most populous.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 AM

10,764 posts, read 23,877,889 times
I find the top 10 most populous metro areas to be a lot more meaningful than top 10 cities that include oversized city limits with annexed suburbs within them. Cities like San Jose are an afterthought compared to San Francisco.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,180,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmadeone View Post
Boston barely makes my top 10.

Philadelphia is the second best East Coast city, thats for sure, for many reasons. NYC is obviously first. Chicago, SF and Seattle id say round out my top 5.
Oh yes, we are just begging and screaming to be on your top 10.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 AM

10,648 posts, read 16,065,551 times
Money no object, imo...

Top 10 Largest Metro's (Living):

1-2.Los Angeles / San Francisco
3.Miami
4.New York City

5-6.Chicago / Boston
7-8.Washington D.C. / Philadelphia

9-10.Houston / Dallas

---------------------------------------------------------

Top 10 Largest Metro's (Visiting):

1.New York City
2-3.San Francisco / Los Angeles
4.Chicago

5.Miami
6-7.Boston / Washington D.C.
8.Philadelphia

9.Houston
10.Dallas

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,369,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
New York would be my 2nd - again, not because of the trendy areas - but probably because it is close to that "old industry" culture. And close to Buffalo - yes, I like NYC because it's "close" to Buffalo..... I just have a deep respect for those parts of the country!
NYC is nowhere near Buffalo. They're like 8 hours apart by car.

Buffalo is roughly halfway between Chicago and NYC, and the closest major cities to Buffalo are Toronto, Cleveland, and Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City