Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/area will be more important economically in the future?
San Francisco Bay Area 82 63.08%
Houston 48 36.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,611,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
"Status" has nothing to do with it, as a demographer at heart that knows the very best places to live are full of educatedwealthy people-usually the best schools, the strongest home resale values, the lowest crime rates, etc.

This crowd also usually is served by the absolute TOP amenities.

So you and the others are preoccupied with finding the "average" and "middle" range places and thats your prerogative.

My interest is looking for and identifying the highest concentration of educated and affluent households of given areas.

There is no wrong answer.

And be grateful I spent this long explaining myself to you. Normally, I just ignore these kinds of comments but decided to be charitable.
Who says I'm supposedly preoccupied with finding the "average" and "middle" range places and that's my perogative?

Don't put words in my mouth, and don't pretend to know what my interests are.

I'll be "grateful" when you quit waffling on about how important wealth and status are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 PM

36,692 posts, read 67,717,245 times
HahaThen keep hoping and praying to get your wish, but Im not here to cater to you and I will continue posting data that is relevant and pertinent to me, regardless as to whether you like it or not.

Anything else? If not, then run along.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,611,661 times
Quote:
HahaThen keep hoping and praying to get your wish, but Im not here to cater to you and I will continue posting data that is relevant and pertinent to me, regardless as to whether you like it or not.

I never once entertained the silly and outlandish notion that you, or anyone else on this site is here to "cater to me". Perhaps you feel that way about other posters. I don't.

And likewise, I could care less if you like it or not when I note your relentless and transparent elitism. Though I do occasionally find it sort of amusing... in a sad kind of way.

If I have "anything else", I'll be sure to let you know. Don't think I'll be "running along" just yet though.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,045,200 times
California is bankrupt and is losing jobs to Texas.

Anyone who keeps up with economic news knows that any major city in Texas has a brighter future than any major city in California. Texas has lower taxes and less oppressive regulations, all of which keep the cost of living lower and allows businesses to thrive. High taxation leads to higher COL and lower Standard of Living.

This is basic economics folks!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,420,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

Anyone who keeps up with economic news knows that any major city in Texas has a brighter future than any major city in California. Texas has lower taxes and less oppressive regulations, all of which keep the cost of living lower and allows businesses to thrive. High taxation leads to higher COL and lower Standard of Living.

Until the plants blow up and kill everybody.
As someone who lives within numerous dangerous plants, I really wish these states would regulate these ticking time bombs more heavily.

In the plants it goes "It's not if the plant will blow up, it's when."

Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,960,247 times
Quote:

And that data is usually relevant ONLY to you.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,580,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

Yeah, "basic economics" also assumes a functional understanding of the term "bankruptcy".

Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,139,604 times
That's tough a one.

Both cities are their respective global hubs with their major industry. I'd give the nod to the Bay Area simply because it has good proximity to some of the best higher education in the world. I wish Houston/Texas would step up in regards to higher education. Both industries are prone to boom/bust cycles and competition from smaller, regional hubs.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:20 PM

686 posts, read 1,170,556 times
I'm not comparing Houston to SF Universities per se, but I have to challenge this notion that Houston is lacking in the higher education arena. Houston is Home to the prestigious Rice University which by any measure is among the top 10 or 20 Universities in the country depending on who you ask. Also, let's not forget Houston is served by both the University of Texas and Texas A&M in close proximity which are ACADEMICALLY near the upper tier of public universities. Not too mention the University of Houston making strides into tier one status.

Best Universities - A List of 10 of the Best Universities

Best Public Universities - Find the Best Public Universities and Colleges in this List of Great Schools

Old 10-16-2014, 10:14 PM

558 posts, read 719,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I'm not comparing Houston to SF Universities per se, but I have to challenge this notion that Houston is lacking in the higher education arena. Houston is Home to the prestigious Rice University which by any measure is among the top 10 or 20 Universities in the country depending on who you ask. Also, let's not forget Houston is served by both the University of Texas and Texas A&M in close proximity which are ACADEMICALLY near the upper tier of public universities. Not too mention the University of Houston making strides into tier one status.

Best Universities - A List of 10 of the Best Universities

Best Public Universities - Find the Best Public Universities and Colleges in this List of Great Schools
Nah, nobody outside of Texas cares much about Rice, it is a second tier private school. Good? Sure. But it isn't on the same playing field as Cal or Stanford, or even UC Davis for that matter. I mean ARWU (one of the most, if not the most respected university ranking system in the world) has Stanford at 2, Cal at 4, UCSF at 18, UT at 39, and Rice at..... 82....

Rice being in the top 10 or 20 is one of those common "only in Texas" moments. Sit down boys.

COL, Houston owns it. But I'll bet on innovation in SF anytime. Plus the one thing Houston touts all day, energy, is also in the SF Bay Area too. Huge wind energy projects in the Altamont and Chevron, plus many refineries. Obviously not touted by SF residents, but it is there too. Yea Houston has a huge port, but the Bay Area has multiple ports in Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo, Redwood City, SF, and other burbs on the waterways leading to the Bay. There is really nothing Houston has to offer that SF doesn't already have besides being cheap. But most world class cities ain't cheap, it comes with job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City