Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Some older systems have brand new trains though, so not necessarily.
I'm aware. Maintainschaos has already pointed this fact out about the CTA. However, this is about the city with the nicest "subway" interior. As someone who has ridden the 'L', Marta trains, and the Metro; I know that overall, Atlanta and D.C. has Chicago beat in this regard.

Every Chicagoan that I've spoken to always marvels at how clean and how much smoother the Marta train ride is compared to the 'L'. I rode the Metro before I rode a Marta train, and I experienced the same marvel. To me, the difference was like roller skating on the street vs roller skating on a rink.

At the time, I had no idea that the Metro was as new as it is. I'm not certain that I knew that the 'L' is as old as it is. I did know that one was cleaner and smoother than the other.

No slight to Chicago's system in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 AM

672 posts, read 757,245 times
Dc.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I'm aware. Maintainschaos has already pointed this fact out about the CTA. However, this is about the city with the nicest "subway" interior. As someone who has ridden the 'L', Marta trains, and the Metro; I know that overall, Atlanta and D.C. has Chicago beat in this regard.

Every Chicagoan that I've spoken to always marvels at how clean and how much smoother the Marta train ride is compared to the 'L'. I rode the Metro before I rode a Marta train, and I experienced the same marvel. To me, the difference was like roller skating on the street vs roller skating on a rink.

At the time, I had no idea that the Metro was as new as it is. I'm not certain that I knew that the 'L' is as old as it is. I did know that one was cleaner and smoother than the other.

No slight to Chicago's system in the least.
Chicago's cars got much better in the last year or so with the brand new AC running cars that replaced the old DC cars. It was very crazy the first time I rode in one and the ride was so smooth, gliding to a start and stop. I kinda miss the old jerky cars.

I thought DC's were pretty gross every time I've been there. Old color concept and carpet everywhere. I loved the stations though!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
WMATA rolls out these new puppies in January, 7000 series will be phased in and make up more than half the fleet by 2018, i'd take my money on these being the best heavy rail cars in the U.S. until another system updates:
NYC subway continuously updates its trains. If you go to NYC take the 7 train, it runs the same train cars you posted only with different higher capacity seat layout. However, I much prefer the digital screen layout on R160 trains (Q line for example).

The most unique trains imo are the ones NYC subway has on some special events where they bring out old classic pre-world war 2 R-series train cars.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
The inside of the cars themselves? NYC probably has the most up-to-date current roster.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Glad to see the DC Metro get away from carpet floors. When Atlanta's MARTA made the switch a little over 10 years ago, it was the greatest thing ever. I'm very sensitive to smells and after a few years of use, carpet on public transportation takes on a "life of it's own".

Old 10-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
I rode the R-160's in NY this past summer. Yes pretty much the same exact setup as the 7000's minus the seating arrangements but I guess the new new newness of the 7000's is what wins me over.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Strictly subways or does commuter rail count?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Most of LA's LRT cars are really nice, the subway cars not so much, they typically are quite odorous.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Strictly subways or does commuter rail count?
The OP said subway trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City