Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Baltimore 47 24.35%
Cincinnati 28 14.51%
Milwaukee 28 14.51%
Pittsburgh 60 31.09%
St. Louis 30 15.54%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Baltimore, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and St. Louis are all major cities that used to be industrial powerhouses, but all have successfully diversified their economies. Which one do you like best?

(I wanted to include Cleveland in the poll, but their economy is a bit farther behind in diversifying.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Baltimore, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and St. Louis are all major cities that used to be industrial powerhouses, but all have successfully diversified their economies. Which one do you like best?

(I wanted to include Cleveland in the poll, but their economy is a bit farther behind in diversifying.)
Gnutella! You stole my idea, I was going to do a thread in a few hours about Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Cleveland, Buffalo. Lol but this is close enough.
Thanks for making it!

My personal preference is, Pittsburgh.

But I do suggest that you add more criteria to your thread to compare these cities. The moderators will stress that the topic is too vague, which it is too vague. You should add more criteria here before the thread gets closed down.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
OK then; go with the following categories: ambience, built environment, culture, nightlife, outdoor recreation, shopping, and sports.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Baltimore
Pitts/ Mil
Cincy
St. Louis

In that order

Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Sports: Pittsburgh, St. Louis/Baltimore (Tie), Cincinnati, Milwaukee
Shopping: Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Cincinnati
Outdoor Recreation: Milwaukee, St. Louis/Pittsburgh/Cincinnati (Tie), Baltimore
Built Environment: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Milwaukee
Nightlife: Baltimore (Closer to other cities with huge nightlife), St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee
Culture: Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
Ambience: No clue.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
ambience—??? (this one is totally subjective) I choose Milwaukee because it's home, but the case could be made that because Baltimore has a milder climate and a higher population density that would translate to more street activity year round and an overall greater vibrancy in the city.

built environment—tie Baltimore/St Louis (both cities exceeded populations of 900,000 at some point in their history)

culture—
If we're talking the arts, then I say Pittsburgh because they have the Carnegie Institutes. However, if we're talking local culture, then I say Milwaukee due to all the ethnic festivals.

nightlife—
Milwaukee (2nd only to Las Vegas in number of bars and restaurants per capita)

outdoor recreation—
Pittsburgh (gateway to the Appalachian Mountains)

shopping—
tie Baltimore/Milwaukee (close proximity to high end shopping in nearby DC and Chicago)

sports—
tie Pittsburgh/St Louis (both cities have 3 sports teams)

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 05-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: I accidentally included Cleveland instead of Cincinnati

Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Pittsburgh does NOT have the best football team.... Thats one thing Baltimore & Cleveland will agree on.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Of the categories i feel strongly about

Built environment - Baltimore, Pittsburgh, St Louis/Cincinnati, Milwaukee
Culture - Baltimore/St.Louis/Milwaukee, Pittsburgh,Cincinnati
Outdoor recreation, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee/Baltimore/Cincinnati, St. Louis

Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM

75 posts, read 172,218 times
Baltimore's location near the ocean and proximity to other major cities are hard to beat.

Milwaukee is is the only city along with Baltimore to have a vast body of water by it.

Pittsburgh's downtown skyline, economic health, sports fanaticism, and lush rolling surroundings are great.

Cincinatti is a very traditional Americana city. A great place for a conservative traditional couple to raise a family, but its progressive scene is a VERY small island.

St.Louis (sorry guys), has a lot of work to do. High crime, extreme weather, a good hike from most other major cities, and property prices that don't justify its location.

Here's my ranking...

#5- St.Louis

#4- Cincinatti

#3- Milwaukee

#2- Baltimore

#1- Pittsburgh

Old 05-24-2010, 06:13 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
built environment/historic architecture: tie- 1. baltimore, st. louis, pittsburgh; 2. cincinnati; 3. milwaukee
influence: 1. st. louis; 2. baltimore; 3. pittsburgh; 4. cincinnati; 5. milwaukee
education: 1. baltimore (johns hopkins); 2. st. louis (washington u.); 3. pittsburgh (carnegie mellon); 4. cincinnati (xavier); 5. milwaukee (marquette)
culture/music/nightlife: tie- 1. st. louis, baltimore, pittsburgh; 2. cincinnati; 3. milwaukee
public transportation: 1. baltimore; 2. st. louis; 3. pittsburgh; 4. milwaukee; 5. cincinnati
metropolitan economic environment: 1. baltimore; 2. pittsburgh; 3. st. louis; 4. cincinnati; 5. milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City