Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,968,508 times

Advertisements

DC seems to have some of the best. I still have not used the Silver Line though, so I'm sure that's probably by far the best in the country.

It's been several years, but the Vancouver system seemed extremely nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,028,185 times
actually many are not all that bad on the interior

The PATCO interiors look like they will be nice also

http://septawatch.com/wp-content/upl...or-scheme1.png

Also the new Regional Rail cars are actually pretty nice - the new Hyundai-Rotems
http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_....752.653.s.jpg

http://imagicla.com/wp-content/uploa...oto-9-big1.jpg

Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,239,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Carpet floors on mass transit? Yuck. Though uncomfortable, plastic and solid floors are much better. I can see how cushions and carpet would look nice but think about sanitation. Carpets on airplanes even bother me, as do the cloth seats. God only know what happened on that cloth before you got there.

If new and kept clean, I don't mind plastic and non-carpeted floors.
The carpets onboard the Metro trains are generally clean. Not 100% spotless but pretty clean. It doesn't smell unless it's a rainy day. But I think the new 7000-series cars when they come on the tracks will be carpet-less. The Bay Area's BART system has carpeted floors and clothed seats and I've heard that the cars have an odor issue.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
That distinction would have to go to the two cities with the newest systems: Atlanta and D.C.
I believe Baltimore, LA, Miami, and Cleveland have the newest subway systems.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
WMATA rolls out these new puppies in January, 7000 series will be phased in and make up more than half the fleet by 2018, i'd take my money on these being the best heavy rail cars in the U.S. until another system updates:

Metro's New 7000 Series Car - YouTube

New 7000 Series Railcar Toured By GM Richard Sarles - YouTube

WMATA Metrorail - 7000 Series testing at Metro Center - YouTube

WMATA Metrorail - Kawasaki 7000 Series Test Train on the Orange Line; July 26th, 2014 - YouTube

Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,648,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
WMATA rolls out these new puppies in January, 7000 series will be phased in and make up more than half the fleet by 2018, i'd take my money on these being the best heavy rail cars in the U.S. until another system updates:
Very nice. I'm glad WMATA is ditching the "1970s sh*t brown" color scheme too.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,846,022 times
DC has a cool metro, its retro

Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago's cars got much better in the last year or so with the brand new AC running cars that replaced the old DC cars. It was very crazy the first time I rode in one and the ride was so smooth, gliding to a start and stop. I kinda miss the old jerky cars.

I thought DC's were pretty gross every time I've been there. Old color concept and carpet everywhere. I loved the stations though!
We're already planning a small Chicagoland reunion next year. I want to take my children back, now that they're older. I hope to see the new cars soon!

IIRC, the carpet added to the appeal of the D.C. trains. It was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually many are not all that bad on the interior

The PATCO interiors look like they will be nice also

http://septawatch.com/wp-content/upl...or-scheme1.png

Also the new Regional Rail cars are actually pretty nice - the new Hyundai-Rotems
http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_....752.653.s.jpg

http://imagicla.com/wp-content/uploa...oto-9-big1.jpg
This is exactly how I feel about the trains in Chicago. However, I was a bit blown away when I first rode a train in D.C., circa 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I believe Baltimore, LA, Miami, and Cleveland have the newest subway systems.
I stand corrected. I peeped some Youtube videos. As near as I can tell, Baltimore's train have the nicest interior.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,149 posts, read 7,624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Very nice. I'm glad WMATA is ditching the "1970s sh*t brown" color scheme too.
Yes, well they did already ditch that kinda sorta with the 6000's that are currently running on the system, many of those have already began to see carpet being replaced for new flooring also. With the addition of 7000's it allows them to phase out the even older cars.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYC subway continuously updates its trains. If you go to NYC take the 7 train, it runs the same train cars you posted only with different higher capacity seat layout. However, I much prefer the digital screen layout on R160 trains (Q line for example).

The most unique trains imo are the ones NYC subway has on some special events where they bring out old classic pre-world war 2 R-series train cars.
That sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if the NYC Subway ever considers bringing out those red trains for special occasions. You guys called them firebirds right? I've never seen them in person before. I think they retired by the time I first visited New York back in '03.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City