Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I clearly said DC "AREA". DC public schools are terrible, I also clearly said fairfax county and posted a link to a FCPS SAT realease. The suburban schools aren't "quite good". Fairfax county and montgomery county schools trump Vegas suburban schools. Having the number one school in the country isn't "quite good" and having numerous schools being ranked in top 100 is great. Fairfax county is known for having the best schools and education as a whole.
The question is Washington DC not Fairfax county. You don't get to remove your principal drawback and act like it is all good. For the moneyed and educated you simply send your kids to The Meadows School which holds its own in any circumstance. If you simply wish a competent general high school there are a number of Clark County Schools that work. If the kid is bright and advanced their are specialty schools that work.

Not really trying to turn Las Vegas into the top of education. It is not. Nor however is it nearly as bad as DC. So DC basically has a range from abominable to excellent. Las Vegas is probably less on both ends but with a similar median.

It is an interesting phenomena. Basically all the southwest school systems are starved and really only the one in Utah performs very well. But all the suburban schools are still pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 02:40 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I lived over 15 years in Rochester NY. the same climate. One went no where on foot from December through March. It was mostly impassible. Even the slog from the parking lot could be a challenge.

Why does this surprise you? You don't know about living on a great lakes lee shore?
Rochester is not the same climate as Cleveland. Rochester gets about 100 in of snow per winter on average. Cleveland gets around 60. Plenty of people here walk in the winter. It's not like life stops when a few inches of snow falls on the ground. Hell, we even have outdoor events and concerts in the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2NE-gX5714

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Qq7tfIbvk

Old 10-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Rochester is not the same climate as Cleveland. Rochester gets about 100 in of snow per winter on average. Cleveland gets around 60. Plenty of people here walk in the winter. It's not like life stops when a few inches of snow falls on the ground. Hell, we even have outdoor events and concerts in the winter.
Depends on which side of the City you are on. And Rochester is more like 80 inches. The real question is how often you get a thaw...the gunk builds up most of the winter. And I am sorry you don't walk in suburban Cleveland or Rochester. There generally are no sidewalks so you are reduced to walking in the streets with slush and salt and cars not fully under control within a couple of feet.

And I never suggested life stopped, though some places do close for the winter, But it becomes increasingly confined to the automobile.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
The question is Washington DC not Fairfax county. You don't get to remove your principal drawback and act like it is all good. For the moneyed and educated you simply send your kids to The Meadows School which holds its own in any circumstance. If you simply wish a competent general high school there are a number of Clark County Schools that work. If the kid is bright and advanced their are specialty schools that work.

Not really trying to turn Las Vegas into the top of education. It is not. Nor however is it nearly as bad as DC. So DC basically has a range from abominable to excellent. Las Vegas is probably less on both ends but with a similar median.

It is an interesting phenomena. Basically all the southwest school systems are starved and really only the one in Utah performs very well. But all the suburban schools are still pretty good.
Well I used fairfax county only because he used Clark county. The schools in DC are bad which pushes residents with money to send their child to private school. Although they're very expensive and the price of a college tuition which is outrageous

Old 10-21-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well I used fairfax county only because he used Clark county. The schools in DC are bad which pushes residents with money to send their child to private school. Although they're very expensive and the price of a college tuition which is outrageous
Las Vegas is a different place in terms of political subdivisions . And actually what is called Las Vegas is really Clark County - The strip for instance is not in the City of Las Vegas. Hence if talking about Las Vegas as an entitiy you end up with Clark County rather than the City of Las Vegas.

The school system is actually a state agency and is county wide. The Health Dept is Southern Nevada and is a state Agency.

One way of looking at is Clark County is the only entity that includes all of that which is known as Las Vegas. Not true of Fairfax County which is an appendage to DC.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:24 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
More misleading. DC is actually pretty horrible and Cleveland worse. So you only get mugged in the urban areas? Henderson and Boulder City are both in Clark County and score just as well or better than the suburbs of DC and Cleveland. In actual fact there are a number of Las Vegas areas that have similar low scores but are integrted into Metro Police.
I don't think you understood my post. Anyways, here is actual 2010 data from the FBI:

FBI — Table 6

Quote:
Again misleading. Sun belt cities have higher pedestrian deaths because more people walk as it is pleasant to do so much of the year. Cleveland in mid winter is likely impassible on foot. Washington sprawls making pedestrian very uncomfortable.

Las Vegas has smooth flowing freeways and streets making the car working vastly better there than anywhere in Cleveland or DC.

This is pure nonsense. Las Vegas is way too sprawled out and car-orientated to have more foot traffic than D.C. Even the link I posted says that a higher percentage of workers in the D.C. metro commute by foot. And even without looking at data, there is no way Las Vegas is more walk-friendly than the city of Washington or its metro. Thinking so is laughable.

Quote:
And the NY Times CofL calculator says Cleveland is 2% higher than Las Vegas and DC is 38% higher. And that 38% higher comes with only a 9% salary differential. Fiscally you have to be nuts to live in the DC area.
Like I said, CoL is pretty hard to determine without looking deep into data and there's a lot more that needs to be taken into account. Many CoL calculators pretty much use the C2ER indexes, which is what I referenced. And even the C2ER doesn't take into account certain things. Also, the D.C. metro has a larger percentage of households with high incomes compared to the Las Vegas metro, so it makes sense that D.C. might be more expensive.

2013 median family income for metro areas
L.V. - $58,247
D.C. - $104,561

Quote:
Locally it is a very modern US city with good commuting and pays well. The suburban enclaves like Green Valley Ranch and Summerlin are state of the art against anywhere in VA or MD.
LOL! Washington's NW neighborhoods alone blow Summerlin and anything else in Nevada out of the water when it comes to vibrancy, affluence, things to do, beauty, architecture, etc. The only upper hand that Summerlin or any where else in Nevada has is in natural views like mountains.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I don't think you understood my post. Anyways, here is actual 2010 data from the FBI:

FBI — Table 6

And here is table 8.

FBI — Table 8

DC shows over 1150 crimes per 100,000 almost 70% greater than Las Vegas Metro.

I know you folks don't live there...but I would think many do work there.

Quote:
This is pure nonsense. Las Vegas is way too sprawled out and car-orientated to have more foot traffic than D.C. Even the link I posted says that a higher percentage of workers in the D.C. metro commute by foot. And even without looking at data, there is no way Las Vegas is more walk-friendly than the city of Washington or its metro. Thinking so is laughable.
You are of course welcome to your opinion. I would point out that the strip is one of the heaviest pedestrian concentration in the world. Practically you can't get any higher.

And your defensive postures would tend to indicate that you are not at all secure in your opinions.

Quote:
Like I said, CoL is pretty hard to determine without looking deep into data and there's a lot more that needs to be taken into account. Many CoL calculators pretty much use the C2ER indexes, which is what I referenced. And even the C2ER doesn't take into account certain things. Also, the D.C. metro has a larger percentage of households with high incomes compared to the Las Vegas metro, so it makes sense that D.C. might be more expensive.

L.V. - $58,247
D.C. - $104,561
Cost of living becomes very difficult when you don't like the answers. C of L in Washington is listed by the NYTimes as 38% higher than Las Vegs while wages for equivalent jobs are only 9% higher. Basically if you are not rich Washington is a fiscal disaster.

Quote:
LOL! Washington's NW neighborhoods alone blow Summerlin and anything else in Nevada out of the water when it comes to vibrancy, affluence, things to do, beauty, architecture, etc. The only upper hand that Summerlin or any where else in Nevada has is in natural views like mountains.
Again your opinions appear to exceed your knowledge. There are tracts that will match up to anything you find in suburban Washington and they will be newer and in better shape. They will also cost only 1/2 or 1/3 as much.

Reality is tough.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
And here is table 8.

FBI — Table 8

DC shows over 1150 crimes per 100,000 almost 70% greater than Las Vegas Metro.

I know you folks don't live there...but I would think many do work there.

You are of course welcome to your opinion. I would point out that the strip is one of the heaviest pedestrian concentration in the world. Practically you can't get any higher.

And your defensive postures would tend to indicate that you are not at all secure in your opinions.

Cost of living becomes very difficult when you don't like the answers. C of L in Washington is listed by the NYTimes as 38% higher than Las Vegs while wages for equivalent jobs are only 9% higher. Basically if you are not rich Washington is a fiscal disaster.

Again your opinions appear to exceed your knowledge. There are tracts that will match up to anything you find in suburban Washington and they will be newer and in better shape. They will also cost only 1/2 or 1/3 as much.

Reality is tough.
Las Vegas is not more walkable and dense than DC that is actually laughable and pathetic. We're comparing the city as a whole, your excuse is one tourist strip.....like really. Here's factual proof...Las Vegas isn't even listed.
http://www.cbsnews.com/media/top-10-...le-u-s-cities/

And density....
http://agbeat.com/economic-news/amer...-dense-cities/

Where are you even getting your information? Pulling numbers and percentages from the blue sky? San Francisco, the Bay Area, DC and NYC pay the most out of all american cities then it's cities like Chicago and Boston, etc after. Vegas is low on the list, DC is expensive because of the high educated population and high paying jobs and HIGH demand of people wanting to move into the city

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post

FBI — Table 6

L.V. - $58,247
D.C. - $104,561

Apparently not in crime though... just for fun, I googled "Northwest Washington DC" and the first two hits that came up were, "Man dies in triple shooting in Northwest DC - 1 day ago" and "Jose Gomez, 26, arrested for stabbing four men in Northwest DC - 13 hours ago"

Uhm... looks like it was quite a vibrant day in Northwest DC after all.

I agree with you in that Vegas IS sprawled out and not very walkable... but I think what the other poster was saying was that getting around in cars is extremely easy here. I drive a cab in Vegas... so I would know. There basically is no rush hour. The freeways move so well that nothing congests. The 215 freeway wraps around the entire perimeter of LV's burbs ensuring that there is a highway within 10 minutes of any point in the entire metro area. You can drive from Henderson to NW Vegas - traveling across the entire metro area - in 40 minutes or less at any point of the day. When they build our new freeway system here, they built it wider than it needed to be.
I can't stand flying, so I drive everywhere... I have driven in DC/Baltimore and it was actually worse than driving in Chicago.

Regarding the figures you posted, I wonder if that includes the massive amount of money people have to give up in DC for Income Tax?

As far as crime goes, there's an easy way to find out where your city stands compared to others.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The table on that link shows all domestic cities with a population of 250,000 and higher... there are currently 74 cities on the list. Simply ranks them with nine different crime categories... 1 being safest, 74 being most dangerous. I know this is a rather simple way of looking at it, but since the cities themselves make up most of a metro area, it's a good representation of what it's like.

Cleveland:

Violent Crime: 68th
Murder: 65th
Rape: 72nd
Robbery: 73rd
Aggravated Assault: 47th
Property Crime: 70th
Burglary: 74th
Larceny/Theft: 34th
Auto Theft: 69th

Washington DC:

Violent Crime: 61st
Murder: 56th
Rape: 36th
Robbery: 70th
Aggravated Assault: 55th
Property Crime: 46th
Burglary: 14th
Larceny/Theft: 62nd
Auto Theft: 47th

Las Vegas:

Violent Crime: 47th
Murder: 24th
Rape: 44th
Robbery: 44th
Aggravated Assault: 51st
Property Crime: 17th
Burglary: 42nd
Larceny/Theft: 10th
Auto Theft: 34th

Henderson (even though Henderson is connected to Las Vegas, it is large enough (270,000 people) to qualify for the list):

Violent Crime: 2nd
Murder: 3rd
Rape: 16th
Robbery: 2nd
Aggravated Assault: 2nd
Property Crime: 2nd
Burglary: 13th
Larceny/Theft: 1st
Auto Theft: 10th

So let's break this down a bit...

Cleveland is horrendous. Besides larceny and assault, it ranks among the worst ten cities in every category.
Cleveland's average ranking: 64th

DC only has two categories (Rape and Burglary) that are in the top half of the rankings at 36th and 14th, respectively.
DC's average ranking: 50th

Las Vegas' worst ranking is Assault at 51st -- which is only one position lower than DC's average. Vegas has three categories in the top 1/3 of all cities and non in the bottom ten.
Las Vegas' average ranking: 35th

Henderson is easily the safest large (250,000 and up) city to live in, in the United States. It boasts a top three ranking in six categories.
Henderson's average ranking: 6th

I know this isn't the "end all" to the crime conversation, but it definitely helps to get a picture of things.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:28 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Quote:
Las Vegas is not more walkable and dense than DC that is actually laughable and pathetic. We're comparing the city as a whole, your excuse is one tourist strip.....like really. Here's factual proof...Las Vegas isn't even listed.
Top 10 most walkable cities now and in the future - CBS News

And density....
America's top 50 most population dense cities - AGBeat

Where are you even getting your information? Pulling numbers and percentages from the blue sky? San Francisco, the Bay Area, DC and NYC pay the most out of all american cities then it's cities like Chicago and Boston, etc after. Vegas is low on the list, DC is expensive because of the high educated population and high paying jobs and HIGH demand of people wanting to move into the city
Direct from the Census:

10 Counties with Largest Numeric Increase from July 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013 (in Thousands)

1. Harris, Texas 83,000
2. Maricopa, Ariz. 69,000
3. Los Angeles, Calif. 65,000
4. King, Wash. 37,000
5. San Diego, Calif. 35,000
6. Bexar, Texas 32,000
7. Clark, Nev. 30,000
8. Tarrant, Texas 30,000
9. Orange, Calif. 29,000
10. Riverside, Calif. 28,000

Las Vegas Metro Population in 1990: 741,459
Las Vegas Metro Population in 2013: 2,027,868
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City