Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento vs Nashville
Sacramento 54 50.47%
Nashville 53 49.53%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM

358 posts, read 348,893 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities has better outdoor recreational access. Places to bike, hiking, fishing,mountains etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Biking and mountains, Sacramento. Fishing, Nashville.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:08 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
To live in? Sacramento, hands down. More moderate political climate, more diverse, more open to new comers.

I really do not think northerners are ever terribly welcome in the south - with the exception of certain areas of Florida. I have friends and relative who have moved to the Carolinas and Texas and Arkansas and most of their friends are other transplants from the north and Midwest. They have encountered "Yankee" comments, as mentioned by other posters.

As far as a visit, I think I'd enjoy Nashville, though.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Nashville is one of those cities CD loves. It's shocking because it's a sprawling mess, and we a know how much CD hates those
Yes. But in general CD posters disproportionately favor the south. So, I think that tips it in the favor of Nashville.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:34 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I really do not think northerners are ever terribly welcome in the south - with the exception of certain areas of Florida. I have friends and relative who have moved to the Carolinas and Texas and Arkansas and most of their friends are other transplants from the north and Midwest. They have encountered "Yankee" comments, as mentioned by other posters.

As far as a visit, I think I'd enjoy Nashville, though.
That's certainly not the case in Nashville which just elected a woman from California to be its mayor. In fact, you have to go back to 1987 to the last time the people of Nashville voted for a Southerner to be their mayor. Since then, Nashville's mayors have been from New Jersey, Philadelphia, South Dakota, and now California. Likewise, before the current governor was elected you have to go back to 1991 for the last time Tennesseans voted for a Southerner to be their governor. Don Sundquist (R) was from Illinois, and Phil Bredesen (D) was from New Jersey. Clearly, people in Nashville and even the rest of Tennessee don't have a problem with non-Southerners or else they wouldn't keep voting them in office as their leaders.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
That's certainly not the case in Nashville which just elected a woman from California to be its mayor. In fact, you have to go back to 1987 to the last time the people of Nashville voted for a Southerner to be their mayor. Since then, Nashville's mayors have been from New Jersey, Philadelphia, South Dakota, and now California. Likewise, before the current governor was elected you have to go back to 1991 for the last time Tennesseans voted for a Southerner to be their governor. Don Sundquist (R) was from Illinois, and Phil Bredesen (D) was from New Jersey. Clearly, people in Nashville and even the rest of Tennessee don't have a problem with non-Southerners or else they wouldn't keep voting them in office as their leaders.

Well, that is good to know. And I am glad that you don't personally have any problem with none Southerners. Clearly, the Nashville voters do not.

If you go up thread, you will see that I am not the only person from the north who has had issues - first and second hand, with southern hospitality. Or lack there of. One thing I have personally experienced was being called a "Yankee". (?) It was not in good fun. It was by a friend of a relative during a disagreement about something not remotely connected with geography or the Civil War.

We, in the north do not refer to southerners as "Rebels" or "confederates".

Interestingly, it's a place that I'd like to visit again. I visited in the early 90s and I had a good time.

The thing is, when visiting anywhere, people are nice - not just in the south. It's when you live there that you find out for sure how they feel about people from another part of the country.

I would like to revisit Sun Records and visit the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. I am a huge fan.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
She was born in California but raised in Kansas. That is not the same as being from California.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Speaking of mayors, Sacramento's mayor for the last 2 terms is an African-American native Sacramentan, and he is married to an Asian(Korean) woman.

Sacramento is one of the top 3, most DIVERSE AND INTERGRATED Cities in the nation. Among people under 35 you really see the integration, very common.

Politically, Sacramento is one of the most even across the board, most liberal in the core/downtown/midtown - NorCal style liberal, surrounding the core, its less and less liberal, with half the suburban areas liberal to moderate and moderate to conservative. The outer suburban/almost rural type areas which tend to be very hilly to mountainous are the most conservative groups mostly republican.

The most liberal city in the Sacramento area would be Davis, just 12 miles west of downtown where the very large and very highly rated public University of California, Davis resides.

It will be interesting to see how Vanderbilt stacks up against UC Davis, I know UC Davis beats Vanderbilt in Veterinary Medicine as it is the best school in the world for that discipline. It likely beats it in several other disciplines.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
She was born in California but raised in Kansas. That is not the same as being from California.
Either way she's not from the south, which is kinda the point.
Quote:
The terms most often used by northerners to insult a southerner are 'redneck', 'hillbilly' or 'rube'. Don't think the nastiness doesn't go both ways when people want to be insulting.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:28 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well, that is good to know. And I am glad that you don't personally have any problem with none Southerners. Clearly, the Nashville voters do not.

If you go up thread, you will see that I am not the only person from the north who has had issues - first and second hand, with southern hospitality. Or lack there of. One thing I have personally experienced was being called a "Yankee". (?) It was not in good fun. It was by a friend of a relative during a disagreement about something not remotely connected with geography or the Civil War.

Interestingly, it's a place that I'd like to visit again. I visited in the early 90s and I had a good time.

The thing is, when visiting anywhere, people are nice - not just in the south. It's when you live there that you find out for sure how they feel about people from another part of the country.

I would like to revisit Sun Records and visit the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. I am a huge fan.
Wait, so you are basing a lot of this on a visit more than 20 years ago....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City