Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I rather have a small apartment in a very urban location, than have a big house in the suburbs. Depends on the individual.
Well the point of the article still holds. In IAC, Omaha, KC, etc you could easily get an extremely nice downtown apartment in a better location with more amenities than you could get in NYC, San Francisco, DC, etc for the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:55 PM

59 posts, read 67,203 times
In 2018 the minimum salary in San Francisco will be 15 US dollar. Next year it will be 11 dollar. If you work full time on an 11 dollar salary you make 1,760 dollar a month before taxes. If you make 15 US dollar an hour you make 2,400 a month before taxes. You are not able to raise a family in San Francisco if you are not living in subsidize housing. In fact you cannot even afford living ALONE in SF on a minimum wage if you don’t receive some kind of government grants. The terrible salaries and the lack of opportunities force people to live in subsided housing and receive welfare benefits. This is what “capitalism” has become in United States. Let the government (read: tax payers) pay for what corporations ought to pay to their employees. The truth is that American corporations are capitalisms worst enemy. They are suffering from kleptomania and have no respect for other people’s money. Instead they want government to pay what they will not pay to their employees. It ought not to be up to me to pay housing and food for private corporate employees. I’m so tired for the liberal-corporate alliance and their hatred for average tax-paying Americans.

Last edited by CharlesMcintyre; 12-01-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Well the point of the article still holds. In IAC, Omaha, KC, etc you could easily get an extremely nice downtown apartment in a better location with more amenities than you could get in NYC, San Francisco, DC, etc for the same price.
NY, SF, DC are more expensive because it offers more amentities and jobs. Are you really saying Omaha, KC, etc offer more amentities than NY, SF and DC? You're hysterical.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
I think he/she is talking in-home / condo / apartment amenities.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:56 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
In Pittsburgh it will get you a east side deluxe apartment in the sky.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
NY, SF, DC are more expensive because it offers more amentities and jobs. Are you really saying Omaha, KC, etc offer more amentities than NY, SF and DC? You're hysterical.
Omaha and KC may not be the best examples (although neither are the Podunk towns you are implying) but cities like Chicago or Minneapolis offer pretty much everything the coastal cities do in terms of amenities but are much cheaper. The prices of the coastal cities are driven by geographical and development constraints as much as they are by demand (outside of Manhattan).

Old 12-01-2014, 02:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Omaha and KC may not be the best examples (although neither are the Podunk towns you are implying) but cities like Chicago or Minneapolis offer pretty much everything the coastal cities do in terms of amenities but are much cheaper. The prices of the coastal cities are driven by geographical and development constraints as much as they are by demand (outside of Manhattan).
How did I imply that they were Podunk towns? Just curious. So you're saying places like Omaha offer the same amentities like NYC? DC? SF? These places are not expensive because of geographical and development constraints and that's not why it has high demand. Jobs, amentities, being in the bosh-wash corrider, nightlife, Cosmo lifestyle and did I say jobs?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:05 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
The jobs part is where most of my disagreement comes. This idea that the Bos Wash corridor or the west coast is where you have to go for jobs is generally something that is believed by people who live in those areas and don't have a good grasp of what is happening in the rest of the country. Check out the unemployment rates for September:

Minneapolis 3.6%
Omaha 3.6%
Des Moines 4.1%
Columbus 4.3%
San Francisco 5.0%
Washington 5.0%
Seattle 5.1%
Boston 5.6%
Philadelphia 5.7%
Baltimore 5.8%
New York 5.8%
Kansas City 6.0%
Los Angeles 7.1%

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 12-01-2014, 05:03 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
What are you talking about of course that's not what I'm saying. I said you can get a better apartment closer to more amenities in those cities than in the big coastal cities. $1500 in San Francisco you're never going to find a one-bedroom close to anything. You'll wind up in Oakland or with five roommates. $1500 in Minneapolis you can get a skyway-connected one-bedroom downtown with a view in a highrise on the light rail line with a parking garage. For LESS than $1500 in Omaha you can get a luxury one-bedroom in or near the Old Market. For HALF that in Des Moines you can get a TWO-bedroom in Court District in a highrise with a view. No one is saying Omaha has more amenities than San Francisco, but the amenities it does have are great AND normal people can actually afford to live near them.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I was expecting the apartment in NYC to be slightly smaller. I'm pleasantly surprised.
with shared bathroom?! They picked one of the priciest neighborhoods in the city, though they found a rent stabilized unit, unsure of how easy it is to get. For some of the cities, rental prices vary a lot by neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City