Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
with shared bathroom?! They picked one of the priciest neighborhoods in the city, though they found a rent stabilized unit, unsure of how easy it is to get. For some of the cities, rental prices vary a lot by neighborhood.
I think it's hilarious how the Manhattan apartment is probably considered a steal there by New York City standards. I can hear the occupant bragging about having a rental-control unit with a shared bathroom in Greenwich Village for ONLY $1500 and others being jealous. I have a studio in West Des Moines, Iowa that costs about a 1/3 of that. It's bigger, I get my own bathroom, and there's even a shared swimming pool, partially paid utilities, and laundry facilities on the premises lol. And my rent has risen significantly recently. Of course, it's not in the heart of the largest city in the nation with its plethora of big-city amenities. Obviously location makes a huge difference in rent whether it be between cities or neighborhoods within cities. Rents in the newer part of the I city I live in are way more than the rents in my neighborhood. Anyway, this was a fun article. I always like these kind of comparisons. Thanks for posting, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:52 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Since Los Angeles wasn't featured: What $1,500 Can Rent You in Los Angeles Right Now - Curbed Comparisons - Curbed LA

Not great, but certainly better than some of the options shown in the OP's link.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 12-01-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Living in New York is absolutely not worth spending every last penny you earn on a rathole like the one shown in the article. It's insane people can live like that and think they have it good. I've got all of the same amenities you can find in any average Manhattan neighborhood right here in South Minneapolis...and my apartment is easily four times the size of that walk-in closet at half the cost!

That being said, by no means am I against living in small/manageable spaces. I really wish well-designed micro-apartments would take off in the Twin Cities. If I could get a place for half the price (and half the square footage) but still have roughly the same amount of actual living/storage space (with fold-out furniture and the like), I'd definitely go for it.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDrifterJxX View Post
This is a great article, thank you for posting this.

That view/apt in KC actually looked pretty cool.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Anyway, this was a fun article. I always like these kind of comparisons. Thanks for posting, OP!
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Since Los Angeles wasn't featured: What $1,500 Can Rent You in Los Angeles Right Now - Curbed Comparisons - Curbed LA

Not great, but certainly better than some of the options shown in the OP's link.
Yea, definitely not great. Really only better than the NYC and Boston examples. Still, good to have a different perspective for the major cities--thanks for posting.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:30 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Thanks

No problem

Yea, definitely not great. Really only better than the NYC and Boston examples. Still, good to have a different perspective for the major cities--thanks for posting.

^^^Well that all depends.

The example from LA is in the Fairfax district, which puts you between West Hollywood and Hollywood, in one of the best, most vibrant, transit-rich and interesting parts of town. Definitely a super desirable neighborhood. Furthermore, clearly more spacious than NYC's, SF's and DC's example and yet hard to tell if it is indeed more spacious than Boston's though I would presume so. Cat allowed, on-site laundry, window AC, upgraded appliances, large closets and definitely a sizable 1 BR, WITH included covered parking (that would never happen in some of the other cities where parking is either not available or it's $350+/mo for a spot, or a spot can be bought for $80K+++).

Still super expensive compared to most US cities but better than only NYC's and Boston's examples?

NYC's is clearly the smallest, but then again it's in one of the priciest and arguably most desirable neighborhoods in the entire city - 2nd only to Tribeca, Chelsea, NoHo, Flatiron, DUMBO, and NoMad.

Boston's actually looks quite spacious, and has nice finishes (it's the current owner's horrible furniture that makes it look "bad"), but it puts you in a purely residential neighborhood away from high quality transit and sandwiched in a housing zone between BU, Harvard, and BC. Could be very appealing to some, or complete turn off to others (like me - Boston is already pretty quiet and less nightlify, no need for additional separation), but definitely not an "undesirable" neighborhood.

SF's is smack in the middle of the Tenderloin and looks easily 2nd smallest to NYC's. Furthermore, even in the TL it's pretty difficult to find a place of that "quality" for $1500. This is what is being offered in the TL now:

$1825 / 310ft - studio apartment with bed nook

and SF's cheapest Curbed rent comparison because this is as cheap as the city really gets:

What $1800/mo can rent you around San Francisco

DC's studio appears to be in NoMa, which is an "up and coming" neighborhood. It's definitely not a desirable location in the least bit.

So all in all, I'd say LA's looks "relatively" good.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:50 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Well the point of the article still holds. In IAC, Omaha, KC, etc you could easily get an extremely nice downtown apartment in a better location with more amenities than you could get in NYC, San Francisco, DC, etc for the same price.
You must have been high when you wrote that. You don't seriously believe that?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:06 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Actually seems like a deal for SF right now, too. It's very difficult to find anything under $2K unless it's teeny tiny (with shared kitchen/bath type of deal) or in an off location (Tenderloin, Bayview, or maybe way out in Outer Sunset).
Clicked on the picture in the article and that apartment seems to be in the tenderloin. So there's your answer. $1500 is a bit unrealistic for one to have their own place in good parts of SF these days. That's roommate pricing in most apartments.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:41 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I've got all of the same amenities you can find in any average Manhattan neighborhood right here in South Minneapolis.
No you don't.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
No you don't.
Yes, I do.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yes, I do.
No you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City