Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Just to question a point made by anonelitist and others, do larger highways necessarily dictate a more massive metro feel? And if so, to what point?

Philly's biggest, baddest stretch is (arguably) from Wilmington up to Trenton. That's at least three lanes in both directions for at least 50 miles, with skylines/density on both sides, and given the heavy volume on 95 (not including 495 and other spur/local routes), feels very congested and "tight". I think this really gets to the core of the thread--density vs open spaces. Atlanta has larger freeways, yes, and the traffic to prove it, but Philly feels "tighter" on both freeways and arterial streets. That's equivalent traffic as Atlanta, but less area to work in. Additionally, somewhat of a lesser point I admit, but NE drivers are notoriously aggressive, and drive these relatively tight corridors fast and recklessly. Throw in the amount of out-of-state plates, given Philly's status as a Tri-State mecca/East Coast through corridor, and one can feel in a very massive, aggressive area with at least commensurate traffic as Atlanta.

Atlanta feels tighter from the highways than it is. That is the point. Many of Atlanta's highways are lined with buildings, some of the tallest suburban buildings in the country. Some highways go through and under these skylines. There are retail centers, industrial buildings, and other obstacles lining the highways. It's really well off the highways that you encounter Atlanta's notorious lack of building density.

See my reply just above. Metro Atlantans depend on those highways moreso than other residents of other cities because of the way Atlanta is laid out. That leads to a high concentration of commercial and public uses right along the highways rather than off (in townships or scattered about as in Philly's case).

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Philly isn't that much larger than Atlanta's metro and gap is closing fast because the Atlanta metro is growing far quicker(Atlanta's predicted metro growth is about 85k-90k from 2013-2014). Not too long ago, Houston wasn't bigger than Philly...now it's gigantic. Atlanta also has a massive corporate presence especially when you add up all of the major CBD's in the metro: Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, Alpharetta, and Cumberland.

Atlanta is the de-facto city of the Southeast. Philly has to compete with 2 other large cities: NYC, the biggest of them all and D.C. the country's capital.
As you allude to, Philly doesn't have as much room to grow as Atlanta, given that it is hemmed in by Baltimore/D.C. and especially NYC. It also doesn't help that it's at the confluence of three states, and therefore, at least three different levels of bureacracy. Atlanta has no other metro(s) in it's sphere, and is primarily Georgia-based. Throw in Philly proper's decade long slumber that has just now woken out of, and it's still remarkable the metro is as large as it is. Philly's "stagnant" growth is in line with the rest of the NE, and

Not sure what massive corporate presence has to do with massive MSA feel, but Philly has a massive corporate presence as well. There's Comcast, Aramark, Sunoco, Lincoln Financial, Pep Boys, every single major credit card company in Wilmington, QVC, Siemens, Johnson and Johnson, etc. just to go off the top of my head. I don't see this as relevant to massive metro area "feel", but Philly is no backwater in this regard.

Will Atlanta catch up to Philly? I'll go ahead and say yes. The South is the fastest growing region of the country, and Atlanta is at the epicenter. Will Atlanta rival Houston? That's a bit of a trickier question, as Atlanta's sprawl makes Houston look dense. Houston is also growing insanely, so this is much harder to answer.

Regardless of when Atlanta catches up to Philly, I still think Philly feels like a much larger metro--precisely because it's hemmed in by two other beasts. We here on C-D love to talk about MSAs, and CSAs, and urban areas, as if there is some imaginary line that applies to real life. Well, in real life, Philly is massive. At least on par with Atlanta, if we're being honest and not limiting ourselves to census designations, which are often political. Because every day in northern Delaware, I pass a sign that let's me know Baltimore is 70 miles to the south, NYC is less than 135 to the north, and Philly is only 30 miles to the north. There's commensurate traffic, and skylines, and density and all the other things brought up in this discussion to prove the Philly metro's size. If you were to apply Atlanta's area boundaries to Philly, you would be in both Baltimore and NYC, so this real life tangent is relevant to the discussion. There is no gap in urbanity. It's dense, the highways are narrow and packed, railroads mirror the highways, there are high-rises and skyscrapers all around, etc. The fact that Philly is winning this poll, despite what some may think, proves that this "feel" actually translates from real life to C-D

Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Buckhead literally looks like a city of it's own with it's skyline to be honest...You'd honestly think Buckhead was a different city completely.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/...fef483cf_h.jpg

Atlanta's main urban core is on the right and Buckhead is on the left.

And here's an example of what Anon means by driving under skyscrapers. This is GA 400 driving under the main Buckhead financial core.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7571/...343a0d3d_h.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 12-31-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 12:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
As you allude to, Philly doesn't have as much room to grow as Atlanta, given that it is hemmed in by Baltimore/D.C. and especially NYC. It also doesn't help that it's at the confluence of three states, and therefore, at least three different levels of bureacracy. Atlanta has no other metro(s) in it's sphere, and is primarily Georgia-based. Throw in Philly proper's decade long slumber that has just now woken out of, and it's still remarkable the metro is as large as it is. Philly's "stagnant" growth is in line with the rest of the NE, and

Not sure what massive corporate presence has to do with massive MSA feel, but Philly has a massive corporate presence as well. There's Comcast, Aramark, Sunoco, Lincoln Financial, Pep Boys, every single major credit card company in Wilmington, QVC, Siemens, Johnson and Johnson, etc. just to go off the top of my head. I don't see this as relevant to massive metro area "feel", but Philly is no backwater in this regard.

Will Atlanta catch up to Philly? I'll go ahead and say yes. The South is the fastest growing region of the country, and Atlanta is at the epicenter. Will Atlanta rival Houston? That's a bit of a trickier question, as Atlanta's sprawl makes Houston look dense. Houston is also growing insanely, so this is much harder to answer.

Regardless of when Atlanta catches up to Philly, I still think Philly feels like a much larger metro--precisely because it's hemmed in by two other beasts. We here on C-D love to talk about MSAs, and CSAs, and urban areas, as if there is some imaginary line that applies to real life. Well, in real life, Philly is massive. At least on par with Atlanta, if we're being honest and not limiting ourselves to census designations, which are often political. Because every day in northern Delaware, I pass a sign that let's me know Baltimore is 70 miles to the south, NYC is less than 135 to the north, and Philly is only 30 miles to the north. There's commensurate traffic, and skylines, and density and all the other things brought up in this discussion to prove the Philly metro's size. If you were to apply Atlanta's area boundaries to Philly, you would be in both Baltimore and NYC, so this real life tangent is relevant to the discussion. There is no gap in urbanity. It's dense, the highways are narrow and packed, railroads mirror the highways, there are high-rises and skyscrapers all around, etc. The fact that Philly is winning this poll, despite what some may think, proves that this "feel" actually translates from real life to C-D
Lol, seriously? People vote in these polls without actually having set foot in the cities in question all the time, or at the least without having had extensive experience with them. There are multiple polls here that ask the same question with the same cities with different poll results. I pretty much interpret these results as people voting for the bigger/denser metro in reality.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
3 lanes? Really that's it?
Yes. There are very few sections of highway in Metro Philadelphia that are more than three lanes each way, for better or worse. I don't foresee that changing, ever, either.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:22 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Just Take a look at the Highway Count the lanes please

http://sweetandweak.files.wordpress....ta-traffic.jpg

http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...28_640_431.jpg

http://www.deliveryworx.com//assets/...home-photo.jpg

Old 12-31-2014, 07:41 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
What exactly is this suppose to prove? That nobody takes the train and everyone comes from the same direction? The Roosevelt Blvd is a 12 lane death race highway that cuts right through the heart of north philly. It's terrible with traffic and something most Philadelphians truly despise.

The only thing I will say is the one picture someone posted of the buckhead skyline gives the illusion that there is some great city miles ahead, which in reality is not quite true but still someone might get the impression. You know what is a good way to get a grasp of the philly area? Taking one of the regional rail lines like the lansdale Doylestown line and literally going from town to town for an hour and a half without traffic.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Just Take a look at the Highway Count the lanes please
The number of Highway lanes really shouldnt be the barometer for this discussion. You also have to take into consideration Mass transit which Atlanta is sorely lacking, and the layout of the highway systems.

Mass Transit

NJ Transit which feeds NJ,Philly,NYC is the third biggest mass transit system in the country behind NYC and Long Island. Septa(Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority) is the 5th largest mass transit system in the country just behind Chicago. The Philly area is much much less reliant on the automobile as a means of transportation than Atlanta. I couldnt even find Atlanta mentioned in largest mass transit systems. I saw Austin,I saw Portland but no Atlanta.

Also the layout of the highway systems is much difefrent between the 2 regons.

Atlanta acts as a loop/knot. Looks like an absolute boondogglish nightmare to me.

Phillys highways run linear and are more spread out. From N to S you have Pennsylvania Turnpike,202,Schuylkill Expressway,US 30, 3, US 1, 95, US 13 over in NJ you have 130,295,and the NJ Turnpike.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The number of Highway lanes really shouldnt be the barometer for this discussion. You also have to take into consideration Mass transit which Atlanta is sorely lacking, and the layout of the highway systems.

Mass Transit

NJ Transit which feeds NJ,Philly,NYC is the third biggest mass transit system in the country behind NYC and Long Island. Septa(Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority) is the 5th largest mass transit system in the country just behind Chicago. The Philly area is much much less reliant on the automobile as a means of transportation than Atlanta. I couldnt even find Atlanta mentioned in largest mass transit systems. I saw Austin,I saw Portland but no Atlanta.

Also the layout of the highway systems is much difefrent between the 2 regons.

Atlanta acts as a loop/knot. Looks like an absolute boondogglish nightmare to me.

Phillys highways run linear and are more spread out. From N to S you have Pennsylvania Turnpike,202,Schuylkill Expressway,US 30, 3, US 1, 95, US 13 over in NJ you have 130,295,and the NJ Turnpike.
Atlanta's MARTA is ranked as the #8 transit system in the U.S. by ridership, according to a ranking I found on Wikipedia... A list that neither Portland nor Austin are on, btw.

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 12-31-2014 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Atlanta also carries a massive amount of through traffic, particularly on I-75 and I-85. This type of traffic typically bypasses metro Philly. It's a totally different set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City