Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Atlanta feels much larger, especially driving around, but when you finally get out of your car...(deep breath...about to speak...says nothing). Philly looks compact driving around, but when you finally get out of your car...you know you are in a big city.

Atlanta: Small town with a big city appearance.

Philadelphia: Big city with small town feel.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Atlanta feels much larger, especially driving around, but when you finally get out of your car...(deep breath...about to speak...says nothing). Philly looks compact driving around, but when you finally get out of your car...you know you are in a big city.

Atlanta: Small town with a big city appearance.

Philadelphia: Big city with small town feel.
Atlanta seems more vibrant than Philly. It feels like there's always something going on somewhere around here. I don't get that from Philly.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM

31 posts, read 36,425 times
Atlanta does seem more glamorous. Philly IMO feels gloomy and run down.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Z View Post
It really goes to show how miniscule city population numbers are in the grand scheme. Philly has well over a million people more within its city limits, although geographically exactly the same size as Atlanta, yet Atlanta feels like a larger city. Philly is the larger metro, however, but still feels smaller than Atlanta. Also, Atlanta is more glamorous than Philly, Atlanta feels like it would be a smaller LA.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It really goes to show how miniscule city population numbers are in the grand scheme. Philly has well over a million people more within its city limits, although geographically exactly the same size as Atlanta, yet Atlanta feels like a larger city. Philly is the larger metro, however, but still feels smaller than Atlanta. Also, Atlanta is more glamorous than Philly, Atlanta feels like it would be a smaller LA.
I disagree on all counts. Philadelphia feels larger. Atlanta is the more car transit oriented city, but Philly has more dense, walkable cities that, when you drive through them (Conshohocken, Wilmington, Chester, Camden, West Chester, etc). feel larger than anything in Georgia. As far as glamour, subjective, but no. Philly feels like a smaller version of NYC--you know you're in something special the second you see that skyline from 95. I'd rather be a smaller NYC than a smaller L.A....

Old 12-28-2014, 05:13 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Z View Post
Name 5 towns in the philly metro. Other than the obvious north philly, chester, Camden areas, what areas are "rundown" Get out of here..

Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Name 5 towns in the philly metro. Other than the obvious north philly, chester, Camden areas, what areas are "rundown" Get out of here..
Most visitors coming thru Philly visit via I-95. I-95 was designed to parallel route 13 a heavily industrialized roadway connecting Wilmington-Chester-Philly-Trenton. I can see where the impressions wouldnt be great especially from Chester to the refineries in SW Philly.

Originally the plan was for 95 to be a toll road which may have helped pay for a nicer a better kept stretch of highway but those plans were scrapped.Instead you got a lowly maintained bottom basement highway.

Back to your point, yeah the slice of driving up I-95 thru Del-Phil- Trenton shows you about 1 % of the overall region. That 1 % just happens to be mostly industrial. Driving up I-476,252, 202,Rt 30 even 76 visitors would get a much different cleaner impression of the Philly area.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Atlanta seems bigger now, but wouldn't have said that 20 years ago.

Atlanta also feels newer and more oriented towards the future.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Most visitors coming thru Philly visit via I-95. I-95 was designed to parallel route 13 a heavily industrialized roadway connecting Wilmington-Chester-Philly-Trenton. I can see where the impressions wouldnt be great especially from Chester to the refineries in SW Philly.

Originally the plan was for 95 to be a toll road which may have helped pay for a nicer a better kept stretch of highway but those plans were scrapped.Instead you got a lowly maintained bottom basement highway.

Back to your point, yeah the slice of driving up I-95 thru Del-Phil- Trenton shows you about 1 % of the overall region. That 1 % just happens to be mostly industrial. Driving up I-476,252, 202,Rt 30 even 76 visitors would get a much different cleaner impression of the Philly area.
Sounds like the Turnpike in North Jersey that gives everyone the impression of smelly refineries, industrialization, and no trees (not kidding with that one - I've met 2 people who were shocked that NJ has trees). *sigh* It seems highway planners hate us.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times
Outside the core area, I'd give the nod to Atlanta. Just my opinion, one you get outside the city, Atlanta feels larger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City