Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:56 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times

Advertisements

Americans generally "experience" cities via their cars- for better or worse- so, while the core of Philly feels (and is) much much larger, and while Philly is more densely populated no matter how you slice it (CSA, MSA, city,CBD, etc.) and more densely developed, the disparate skylines in the Atlanta area can give your typical American drivers the aura from the car of being in a massive metropolitan area..perhaps in their minds, they see multiple skylines, so they begin to think, "whoa! Atlanta must have multiple Manhattans!" (i'm obviously exaggerating, but i'd imagine that a lot of you see where i'm going with this)...so that's why i created the thread.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Americans generally "experience" cities via their cars- for better or worse- so, while the core of Philly feels (and is) much much larger, and while Philly is more densely populated no matter how you slice it (CSA, MSA, city,CBD, etc.) and more densely developed, the disparate skylines in the Atlanta area can give your typical American drivers the aura from the car of being in a massive metropolitan area..perhaps in their minds, they see multiple skylines, so they begin to think, "whoa! Atlanta must have multiple Manhattans!" (i'm obviously exaggerating, but i'd imagine that a lot of you see where i'm going with this)...so that's why i created the thread.
Exactly. The suburban development patterns are totally different. Coming from the North on either I-75 or I-85, the development here starts many miles before you reach I-285 and it is clearly visible.

You don't really see much of anything approaching Philadelphia until you are actually there. Traversing the Blue Route or the Turnpike gives you no clue that you are right next to a major city.

It doesn't make either place better, but they are totally different. And it makes metro Atlanta seem huge.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post

This, and rep x 1000. People on this website have serious comprehension issues and get their panties in a bunch. If Philly isn't #1 or if people argue for another city or against Philly, even in a thread that really could connotate something negative (like Atlanta is soooo spread out with huge congested highways and a skyline that's all disconnected, so because of it it appears bigger when it really isn't at all), then Philly posters get all upset.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
This, and rep x 1000. People on this website have serious comprehension issues and get their panties in a bunch. If Philly isn't #1 or if people argue for another city or against Philly, even in a thread that really could connotate something negative (like Atlanta is soooo spread out with huge congested highways and a skyline that's all disconnected, so because of it it appears bigger when it really isn't at all), then Philly posters get all upset.
Anonelitist. You're a Philly hater. We get it. Get over your weird obsession with Philly poster stalking and let's move on.

Philly is bigger, and feels bigger. Period. And it's clear the majority think so. No one is getting their panties in a bunch except for you.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Quote:
Yet somehow you are in every Philly vs thread. How strange..

Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 PM

^^^I used to live in Atlanta. For 6+ years actually, and some of those were formative years.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
For me, the Atlanta area feels bigger but I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:33 PM

^^^That's what I was saying. I think it's a negative. I don't know why in tarnation the Philly posters are just dying to win this one, but I think people aren't able to properly digest and interpret the OP and comment accordingly.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
^^^That's what I was saying. I think it's a negative. I don't know why in tarnation the Philly posters are just dying to win this one, but I think people aren't able to properly digest and interpret the OP and comment accordingly.
I gave up on the Philly people they are too stupid and ignorant to deal with. I would avoid any Philly threads in the future man. Sorry for your pain.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Anonelitist. You're a Philly hater. We get it. Get over your weird obsession with Philly poster stalking and let's move on.

Philly is bigger, and feels bigger. Period. And it's clear the majority think so. No one is getting their panties in a bunch except for you.

ROW - I hate Philly on this forum because of people like you (similarly to the way you must hate SF). I don't hate Philly in reality, and if you cut me some slack I am very reasonable.

In the Philly vs Boston, you or some other Philly posters cut out ONE of my metrics I gave to Boston (transit) and slammed me for bias and hating Philly, when in reality I gave Philly MANY metrics (some of the funner ones, like restaurants, nightlife, museums, festivals, generally anything cultural, etc).

I would say that's a bit of harsh hate.

Also, if this were a Philly vs Atlanta thread, honestly, there would be very very little I would give Atlanta over Philly. But this isn't a Philly vs Atlanta, which is more desirable? thread! This thread is essentially which one (MSA was specified) sprawls more and feels more massive? If Atlanta were to cream Philly in this thread, it wouldn't be a renunciation of Philly.

But none of you guys are getting that because no posters mis-comprehend or get their panties in a bunch more than Philly posters!!! Dear Lord!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City