Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've been saying exactly this for years with examples.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16674528-post228.html

From the neighborhoods, the Philly area feels vastly larger; from the freeways, Atlanta feels vastly larger. How is this even up for debate?
Rate this post positively
That picture is a very illustrative one! It gets at pretty much the entire reason for this thread. From the freeways, Atlanta can *feel* pretty enormous for the same reasons that Houston does from the freeways.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
That picture is a very illustrative one! It gets at pretty much the entire reason for this thread. From the freeways, Atlanta can *feel* pretty enormous for the same reasons that Houston does from the freeways.
If were going by that logic then Los Angeles and Phoenix should feel much more larger than NYC. I never judge how massive a city feels just solely based on how many lanes are on the freeway.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I've been saying exactly this for years with examples.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16674528-post228.html

From the neighborhoods, the Philly area feels vastly larger; from the freeways, Atlanta feels vastly larger. How is this even up for debate?
This makes no sense really. So you judge the size of an area by the number of lanes on a highway? Haha. No, all this shows is just how terribly inefficient Atlanta's public transit system is.

Philadelphia's highways get congested for sure, but they do not require as many lanes because of Philadelphia's extremely extensive public transit and commuter rail system... one of the best in the country. Hundreds of thousands of people commute in and out of the city every day for work and school using public transportation.

And in areas of the metro where the public transit is less effective, the highways are wider. Also, I-76 in that image in the link for Philly was built in the 50s and has not been expanded yet. Reason being? It can't be. On one side of the highway is a cliff, with multi million dollar mansions on top, and protected park land. The other side is the Schuylkill River.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
The picture is also "illustrative," as one poster said, because in addition to displaying the 3-lane highway near downtown Philadelphia vs. the 7-lane highway near downtown Atlanta, you can see the many train tracks with Philadelphia's 30th Street Station in the background (although in fairness many of the tracks visible in this picture are freight lines). However, another reason the Schuylkill Expressway would be difficult to widen is because there are rail lines paralleling it for miles, in some cases 10-feet away.

Very different highways and growth patterns, regardless of which you think is "better."

Old 12-10-2014, 07:00 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
This makes no sense really. So you judge the size of an area by the number of lanes on a highway? Haha. No, all this shows is just how terribly inefficient Atlanta's public transit system is.

Philadelphia's highways get congested for sure, but they do not require as many lanes because of Philadelphia's extremely extensive public transit and commuter rail system... one of the best in the country. Hundreds of thousands of people commute in and out of the city every day for work and school using public transportation.

And in areas of the metro where the public transit is less effective, the highways are wider. Also, I-76 in that image in the link for Philly was built in the 50s and has not been expanded yet. Reason being? It can't be. On one side of the highway is a cliff, with multi million dollar mansions on top, and protected park land. The other side is the Schuylkill River.
I voted Philly from the get go. The photo that you are criticizing almost swayed me, but your post made me realize that I was stupid to think that an asphalt corridor is indicative of actual metro size.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 PM

305 posts, read 416,646 times
Step 1, Atlanta needs to upgrade the damn public transit(MARTA) before anything if we want to be a 'complete' metro, oh and how about some sidewalk in all our burbs, I mean seriously even in Alpharetta there are places you have to walk on the grass. Atlanta is my home but we have alot to do before we can compete with Philly, a city/metro that has been around for ages and Im sure has alot more development, and actual sidewalks in all the suburbs.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM

385 posts, read 400,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Step 1, Atlanta needs to upgrade the damn public transit(MARTA) before anything if we want to be a 'complete' metro, oh and how about some sidewalk in all our burbs, I mean seriously even in Alpharetta there are places you have to walk on the grass. Atlanta is my home but we have alot to do before we can compete with Philly, a city/metro that has been around for ages and Im sure has alot more development, and actual sidewalks in all the suburbs.
Agreed 1,000% ....Philly progressed along with the other Northern cities at the same time..boomed with the transit infrastructure. I think the public transportation plays a big part into the city / metro. We was blessed to have railroads and have them heavily used and passed down. I always wonder how this city would be like if we had no railroad, or some type of transit system less then what it is now. PHILADELPHIA is its REGIONS CORE even with the pitfalls. The city/area has been in the Top 5 -10 population rankings since its existence.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
how is the poll as close as it is?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:07 PM

385 posts, read 400,805 times
16 point difference. I think people are going to feel how they feel about their metropolitan area. Then esp if no one has been to the other city

Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Because a lot of observant people voted for Atlanta, which seems much larger than the Philly metro when passing through by car. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City