Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:34 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalka View Post
It seems a little premature to say the New York market is slowing down. That article mentions a $27M apartment in One57 that is still on the market, but fails to mention that 90% of the building's units have been sold.
Sure but there are lots of articles from several media outlets that all say the same thing: New York's high end condo market is slowing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sure but there are lots of articles from several media outlets that all say the same thing: New York's high end condo market is slowing down.
But as others have mentioned, that's what happens every winter. Given the insane number of condos which are under construction/breaking ground, it seems like the economics show the market is still there.

However your earlier post about the strong $ perhaps slowing down foreign buyers certainly holds weight. It'll be interesting to see how this all shapes up in the coming months/years. You've got to imagine two very large client bases, Brasil & Russia, will certainly see a sharp decrease in the amount of purchases made in NYC, at least for the time being. Conversely, if the Real/Ruble recover, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sharp jump in the number of foreign purchases by those countries' citizenry (though the Ruskies would probably buy in London before NYC) just because both governments aren't trusted by their populace.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Yes, the strong dollar is inhibiting rich foreign buyers( from the BRICs and elsewhere) looking to invest in prime US real estate.

Russian buyers face a double whammy because on top of the sinking ruble is sinking oil prices. Middle Eastern buyers also have to reconcile with oil prices too.

I didnt say all of this btw, it was Bloomberg and Forbes, and so if the market is continuing to produce at a fast rate then it's based on speculation, which in the case of NYC is probably acceptable due to the city's unique position as the hub of American power.

Heck, our domestic elite is collectively larger in number and wealthier than any foreign group and many of them have property in NYC as well, so who knows?

But Im simply reposting what I read in Forbes, Bloomberg and CNBC.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
For sure. The domestic elite here seem to be doing pretty well at the moment as well.

I also didn't consider the state of oil...that's absolutely crushing Russia.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 AM

19 posts, read 23,092 times
Amount of property tax paid by the $100M penthouse in One57....$17k

With so many new buildings on the way, NYC should really get a handle on this problem soon.

How NYC does not tax the super-rich | New York Post

Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:

With so many new buildings on the way, NYC should really get a handle on this problem soon.

How NYC does not tax the super-rich | New York Post
That article is idiotic. Even dumber, the authors of that article are the ones responsible for that specific issue. One57 is the only high-end building in NYC with tax breaks, because of a stupid carve-out of that tax lot back 20 years ago. When the previous mayor tried to end this specific carve-out, the authors were trying to protect the carve-out.

Every other high-end building in NYC pays full property taxes, which are sky-high.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
No matter how nice they are or how big they are, I couldn't see myself plopping down all that money for an apt. I would take Holmby Hills Los Angeles over the NY apts. Give me a beautiful house with privacy yet you can step out into your yard with a pool, green grass and flowers year around. Private, yet in the heart of the city close to great restaurants, shopping and all.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:19 AM

591 posts, read 781,729 times
Suprise surprise, 95% of them are in NYC or Cali

Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
...Clickbait uninformed article for people who have no idea about NYC property tax laws.

My parents pay 340 dollars a year in property taxes for their $570k condo in Brooklyn... what now?

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
What do all these houses have in common? They're all a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City