Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm from Knoxville and when I visited Pittsburgh I felt very much at home. I drove across the river to the top of the hill, pulled into a random side street to park and it had the same name as my street back home! OK that last part is irrelevant, but in many ways including topographically it felt like Knoxville is a 1/3 size Pittsburgh.

Both have Appalachian culture and that's why I'm not sure Atlanta and Birmingham are good fits. Those are new south/deep south culturally.

Knoxville has a steel industry as well. And Alcoa nearby in, well, Alcoa TN.
Atlanta and Birmingham are both at the foot of the Appalachian Mountaina also(Piedmont-Appalachian foothills).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
Quote:
Atlanta and Birmingham are both at the foot of the Appalachian Mountaina
This is true, especially Birmingham, but do they feel culturally Appalachian?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:10 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,946 times
Quote:
No. Birmingham is a culturally Deep South/kinda old south city.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 33,373 times
I'd throw in Louisville for true southern city. Cincinnati isn't technically southern, but it has a similar look (hills, river, bridges, stadiums, etc) and urban feel to it and it borders Kentucky. Might be worth checking out.

I can't comprehend the Austin comparison....I'm wondering in what way? I'm rot trying to start an argument, I just don't really get it....please explain.

But really, nothing like Pittsburgh exists in the south. Its sad because I love Pittsburgh and would live there in a second if it weren't so far from my family. I wish it did exist somewhere nearer to the south.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
I'm from Knoxville and when I visited Pittsburgh I felt very much at home. I drove across the river to the top of the hill, pulled into a random side street to park and it had the same name as my street back home! OK that last part is irrelevant, but in many ways including topographically it felt like Knoxville is a 1/3 size Pittsburgh.

Both have Appalachian culture and that's why I'm not sure Atlanta and Birmingham are good fits. Those are new south/deep south culturally.

Knoxville has a steel industry as well. And Alcoa nearby in, well, Alcoa TN.
East TN has a solid Appalachian culture as well, good post.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Not at all.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that Pittsburgh and Birmingham are more similar economically than culturally. I think Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga would all be more culturally comparable to Pittsburgh than Birmingham is. Despite being located in the Appalachian Mountains, Birmingham never really had much Appalachian influence. It's always been quintessentially deep South. And as I've said elsewhere, the culture of the mid-South has some Pennsylvania in it due to settlement patterns. The culture of Kentucky and Tennessee was strongly influenced by Pennsylvania, Virginia and the Carolinas, and today has a dash of Midwestern influence as well.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that Pittsburgh and Birmingham are more similar economically than culturally. I think Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga would all be more culturally comparable to Pittsburgh than Birmingham is. Despite being located in the Appalachian Mountains, Birmingham never really had much Appalachian influence. It's always been quintessentially deep South. And as I've said elsewhere, the culture of the mid-South has some Pennsylvania in it due to settlement patterns. The culture of Kentucky and Tennessee was strongly influenced by Pennsylvania, Virginia and the Carolinas, and today has a dash of Midwestern influence as well.
This is a great post, and it made me reconsider my initial thought on Pittsburgh's Southern equivalent.

It's much smaller of course, but I'm going with Chattanooga now. There are a lot of similarities - river city's that were formerly very industrial, reinvented economies & Downtowns, a shared geography and culture, etc.

Last edited by JMatl; 01-20-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This is very true. I've always knew about the Burgh's use of Yinz but I heard some East TN natives use Yuns and that just made me think Pittsburgh influences Appalachia (maybe they used to say Yinz in Southern Appalachia but it gradually morphed into yuns).

Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
This is very true. I've always knew about the Burgh's use of Yinz but I heard some East TN natives use Yuns and that just made me think Pittsburgh influences Appalachia (maybe they used to say Yinz in Southern Appalachia but it gradually morphed into yuns).
I've heard it too, and it's definitely an Appalachian thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City