Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Harvard University is world known by Academics in the World. That is right next to Boston. Boston would have more of a connection for intellectual world travelers. Though Philly might be a bit closer to NYC then Boston. DC would have more pull for them also. Just for that too Philly is overlooked.

The Pope's visit might showcase Philly in the World a bit more? I hear the Democratic Convention will be in Philly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC was actually modeled after the City of Versailles, which is within close driving distance from Paris. This was well before Paris' streets and architecture were reinvented by Haussmann in order to have it become the city that the world is familiar with.
DC was modeled after Versailles, & then 80 years later. it is very possible that Paris' street grid was modeled after DC's

Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
There has already been multiple debates on which city has a more loyal and passionate fan base, lets just say they both do and move on.

Boston has Fenway Park, perhaps the most well known and historic stadium, alongside Wrigley. In my travels abroad, I have always been amazed at how many people know about Fenway and have visited.
Eh, not that surprising IMO. Everyone knows about Wembley Stadium. These historic stadiums will always be well known.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:48 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Harvard University is world known by Academics in the World. That is right next to Boston. Boston would have more of a connection for intellectual world travelers. Though Philly might be a bit closer to NYC then Boston. DC would have more pull for them also. Just for that too Philly is overlooked.

The Pope's visit might showcase Philly in the World a bit more? I hear the Democratic Convention will be in Philly too.
...but Philly is a hole. Historic sites, you bet, but get out of town by dark.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
LOL!^-It must suck to go through life so easily frightened...

Good luck with that.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Go here : 20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

But the list

1)NYC
2)Miami
3)Los Angeles
4)Orlando
5)San Francisco
6)Las Vegas
7)Honolulu
8)Washington DC
9)Chicago
10)Boston
11)San Diego
12)Houston
13)Philadelphia
14)Atlanta
15)Flagstaff (Grand Canyon)
16)Anaheim - Santa Ana
17)Seattle
18)Tampa
19)Dallas
20)San Jose
LA and Santa Ana/Anaheim should be 1.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Why? Is it really hard to believe that more people visit NYC?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
For category 2), they will never get anything better so why not?

I don't see how the tourism destroys anything except maybe destroys the family friendly environment. But lucky for you, the tourism is heavily concentrated in Miami Beach, and will only seep a little bit outside to the downtown area, maybe the dolphin mall. And that's it.
Compared to heavily toured cities such as New York or Los Angeles, it seems like tourism is a central fixture to Miami's economy.

In my first week, I felt like I met more people that have third degree black belts in martial arts than a college degree.

I think the service sector economy playing such a huge role in Miami's economy has diminished from a capital class the city could have developed. Downtown Miami lags behind several office parks in suburbs of major cities in office space, and this is well reflective in the city's lack of business class.

I'm not saying that tourism is bad, it's okay to have as long as it's not your main economic driver (in Miami; it's either housing or service sector (retail, leisure, restaurant). Clearly it's worked out spectacularly for New York and Los Angeles but it's been the easy answer in Miami for job creation for way too long and that needs to change. Miami could stand to focus more on righting the ship, become a much more influential financial center, medical center, logistics center (by airport it is already though) than attracting even more tourism (this amount is good enough).

Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 PM

30 posts, read 37,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
lol.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
proof that zoos are not losing popularity amongst International Travelers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City