Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
One economic point is that while the population increase dropped to 10,000, almost 80,000 jobs were created last year. It's quite rare I believe for the number of jobs to grow more than the actual population...
The Pittsburgh metropolitan area has more jobs now than ever before despite having about 500,000 fewer people (using 2010 boundaries) than it did in 1970. Of course, that could be an extreme case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The Pittsburgh metropolitan area has more jobs now than ever before despite having about 500,000 fewer people (using 2010 boundaries) than it did in 1970. Of course, that could be an extreme case.
Given the aging of our country - and I know the Pittsburgh area is aging quite a bit as well, I think that says a lot.

I believe Chicago peaked for jobs back in 2007 with 4,700,000 jobs and is now finally right at about that peak here in 2015 with just over 4,610,000 after getting down to 4,230,000 back in 2010.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Population percentage change by county for 2010-2014 is now updated on the quickfacts census website as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Population percentage change by county for 2010-2014 is now updated on the quickfacts census website as well.
I was wondering when that was going to happen. Thanks for the update. +1

Old 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I was wondering when that was going to happen. Thanks for the update. +1
Yes, I checked each county individually last night on the site, discerned some good trends, and took notes. I have a GIS and Economics background. The biggest takeaway I could make from the data is the clustering effect becoming more evident with time (like attracts like). Rural US counties outside of the energy patch regions are declining at faster rates than before and larger numbers of people are still moving to the Sunbelt (no big surprise there).

Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Yes, I checked each county individually last night on the site, discerned some good trends, and took notes. I have a GIS and Economics background. The biggest takeaway I could make from the data is the clustering effect becoming more evident with time (like attracts like). Rural US counties outside of the energy patch regions are declining at faster rates than before and larger numbers of people are still moving to the Sunbelt (no big surprise there).
It's quite something to see and it's particularly pronounced in the South. Over the last few years, I have taken several long roads trips to NYC, NOLA, Texas, Miami, Ohio, DC, and many points in between.

Leaving from Atlanta to these destinations allows you to see a good chunk of the rural South...and it's widespread abandonment. The most shocking are the empty mill towns all through the backwoods of North Carolina, and the eerily empty towns along I-75 in South Georgia. The same pattern is repeated all through out the South.

A lot of hay has been made about the reverse Great Black Migration from the Northern cities to the New South cities, but not a lot has been made of the huge population movement going on right now from the rural South to urban areas. At least not what I've seen. I wonder if it is due in part to the huge car manufacturing centers that have popped up all over the rural South the last 20 years or so.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's quite something to see and it's particularly pronounced in the South. Over the last few years, I have taken several long roads trips to NYC, NOLA, Texas, Miami, Ohio, DC, and many points in between.

Leaving from Atlanta to these destinations allows you to see a good chunk of the rural South...and it's widespread abandonment. The most shocking are the empty mill towns all through the backwoods of North Carolina, and the eerily empty towns along I-75 in South Georgia. The same pattern is repeated all through out the South.

A lot of hay has been made about the reverse Great Black Migration from the Northern cities to the New South cities, but not a lot has been made of the huge population movement going on right now from the rural South to urban areas. At least not what I've seen. I wonder if it is due in part to the huge car manufacturing centers that have popped up all over the rural South the last 20 years or so.
Yes, you address a point regarding the out-migration of people out of completely rural counties of the South that are not included within a metropolitan or micropolitan area. The most intense out-migration currently is in the Mississippi Delta region of Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana. After that, the second most intense out-migration is occurring in the "Black Belt" rural counties of Alabama (southwestern), rural counties of Georgia- especially south and southwest, and the mill towns of the Carolinas.

The second point is that most of the automakers have tended to locate closer in where population already resides like the case of BMW (Greenville region SC), Nissan (Madison county-just north of Jackson), Toyota (Blue Springs- northwest of Tupelo, MS), Kia (just southwest of LaGrange, GA), Mercedes-Benz (east of Tuscaloosa, AL), and Hyundai (Montgomery, AL). Rural counties will not benefit directly from these due to economies of scale, therefore those that are able migrate away for those opportunities.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
The second point is that most of the automakers have tended to locate closer in where population already resides like the case of BMW (Greenville region SC), Nissan (Madison county-just north of Jackson), Toyota (Blue Springs- northwest of Tupelo, MS), Kia (just southwest of LaGrange, GA), Mercedes-Benz (east of Tuscaloosa, AL), and Hyundai (Montgomery, AL). Rural counties will not benefit directly from these due to economies of scale, therefore those that are able migrate away for those opportunities.
Yeah, maybe "rural" isn't the best term to use for those areas for the most part since they are located near (albeit small) metropolitan areas. What's interesting though is that those plants were put in those places not because the most sense, but the because State leaders are trying to spur economic development in areas of those States that usually don't see any, at least in industrial.

Like that Kia plant near Lagrange, forty years ago that would have been built in one of the industrial areas of Atlanta. Instead, we've had the last two auto plants close in the last 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City