Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Have you spent a good amount of time lately in both?

I'm not really disputing anything that you're saying, though it's worth mentioning that I spend plenty of time in Seattle, and have for years. I'm practically down there every weekend. I chose Bellingham for a different reason. Regarding Seattle, it has a very nice bar scene, and more diverse than Denver at that. I personally prefer it to Denver. I just think that Denver has a younger feel in general. Or, maybe the young people just have a different feel to them. Not better or worse, but more extroverted and raucous, to be sure. Seattle feels more reserved to me. Denver people are far more outgoing and loud, in general.
That's because Seattle is quite a magnet for DINKS who are living here just to make $$$. In general, you'll see folks in their late 20's to early 30's out and about. Only in the club district of Cap Hill do you see the young college-aged kids (who obviously don't make bank) drive out from the burbs to party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
That's because Seattle is quite a magnet for DINKS who are living here just to make $$$. In general, you'll see folks in their late 20's to early 30's out and about. Only in the club district of Cap Hill do you see the young college-aged kids (who obviously don't make bank) drive out from the burbs to party.
That's a good point, and it actually goes along with what I'm saying. Colorado has a lot more young people willing to pack themselves into a house and scrape together funds for an Epic Ski Pass, while Seattle has a lot more people that want to make bank and excel at their jobs. CO has a lot more people on a vacation mentality- it's culturally acceptable-even in the corporate setting- to take Fridays off for Bluebird Powder Days.

Overall, CO has a lot more people coming out for the partying, outdoors lifestyle than Seattle. There are a LOT of people with very similar mindsets. That's good if you like the vibe of that community, not so much if you don't. Again, I love both states- we were just ready for something new (and it's smarter career-wise for me to be within striking range of Seattle). We love it here, WA has much more variation, both geographically and interest-wise. But given the OP's criteria, I feel pretty strongly that he would enjoy starting his career in Denver.

It's changing (and getting rapidly more expensive, or at least recovering to and surpassing pre-08 pricing) but I think of Denver as a much more manageable. lower-commitment starter city, whereas it's a little better to know who you are- and have skills to back it up- in Seattle.

Last edited by bartonizer; 04-01-2015 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City