Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:01 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Alabama. A good chunk of the southern half of GA is much more Deep South than anything in NC (not saying some areas like Lumberton don't have a Deep South vibe, but not on the level of places like Appling and Bacon counties in GA, which might as well be in rural Mississippi). Heck, even some of the outer suburbs of metro Atlanta are that way (I'm looking at you southern Fayette county)!

You can say the same about some of the suburbs of Raleigh and definitely Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:02 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
You can say the same about some of the suburbs of Raleigh and definitely Charlotte.
Yes, what is this NC superiority complex all of a sudden? GA has more people than NC, both states have very similar attributes. The thread makes no sense really. All three states have a lot in common combined.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but that's such a small piece of Alabama culture. In terms of the actual population of French descent, Mississippi is more "French" than Alabama, yet people still associate Mississippi more with English/Scots-Irish descended Whites. I would say Birmingham, Montgomery, Huntsville and Tuscaloosa are more representative of AL than Mobile.
Im just saying Georgia and NC have no French heritage whatsoever.The Gulf Culture is absent in Georgia also.The coastal parts of Georgia and NC are very similar in history and culture.

Mobile was brought up because Mutiny said it was similar to Savannah in size.

I grew up in Middle Georgia.Warner Robins.Its the 11th largest city in Georgia
The whole feel of Georgia is just different from Alabama.

For one thing the poverty in many of the towns in Alabama seems more evident than in Georgia.
You even see it in the roads and the upkeep of the cities public spaces.Every since Georgia started its "Mainstret" programs in the early 90's it seems that even the poorest of cites look like they have their downtowns together.

Go to a border city like Columbus and see how much nicer its downtown is and then go across the river and see Phoenix City AlabamaOnly now is that city have plans to do more along the river as Columbus has done already.

Last edited by afonega1; 03-28-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 11:37 AM

305 posts, read 416,582 times
I'm just gonna compare the biggest cities. Never been to Mobile, or Macon, so I cant give any input on that.

North Carolina.

Been to Birmingham many times. And the most hype that entire city has, is equal to just Gwinett in Atlanta, let alone the whole state. Literally nothing ever going on in Bham besides the Tide and Auburn, basically a religion down there. And theres so much more to Georgia, especially Atlanta, than JUST sports. Big sports town, sure, but much more than JUST sports. And Bham is so much older, and seems a bit behind the times imo. People are friendly there though, but that's about it.

North Carolina however, has Charlotte, AND the Triangle.
UNC, Duke, NCST etc, education is even comparable to Atlanta.
We have Emory(#21 national ranking, period), Georgia Tech(top #10 national engineering school), and UGA etc
Btw, did I mention we both actually have Pro sports teams? Panthers, Falcons. Hornets, Hawks.
Oh yeah and College basketball for NC.
Georgia and NC are BOTH ACC. Bama is not.

Our education is MUCH more comparable to NC. Bama literally has nothing nearly as academic as UNC, Duke, or Emory, or GT. Period. Not even debatable.

And Raleigh's 'hipness' as people like to say, matched with Charlotte, is muuuuuch more relateable to Atlanta, than anything in Bama. Id say Duluth, Perimeter and Buckhead could match that image of Raleigh alone.

NC population: 9.5M
GA population: 10.1M
Even our population is more similar.
;D

North Carolina, hands down, imo.

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 03-28-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
I'm just gonna compare the biggest cities. Never been to Mobile, or Macon, so I cant give any input on that.

North Carolina.

Been to Birmingham many times. And the most hype that entire city has, is equal to just Gwinett in Atlanta, let alone the whole state. Literally nothing ever going on in Bham besides the Tide and Auburn, basically a religion down there. And theres so much more to Georgia, especially Atlanta, than JUST sports. Big sports town, sure, but much more than JUST sports. And Bham is so much older, and seems a bit behind the times imo. People are friendly there though, but that's about it.

We have Emory(#21 national ranking, period), Georgia Tech(top #10 national engineering school), and UGA etc
Btw, did I mention we both actually have Pro sports teams? Panthers, Falcons. Hornets, Hawks.

Our education is MUCH more comparable to NC. Bama literally has nothing nearly as academic as UNC, Duke, or Emory, or GT. Period. Not even debatable.

And Raleigh's 'hipness' as people like to say, matched with Charlotte, is muuuuuch more relateable to Atlanta, than anything in Bama. Id say Duluth, Perimeter and Buckhead could match that image of Raleigh alone.

;D

Excellent post, but you left the Atlanta Braves, Gwinnett Gladiators, Gwinnett Braves out, and GA Tech is in the ACC, GA in the SEC.. But yes, GA is much more similar to NC.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post

North Carolina.

;D

Also does Alabama have what is a "quintessential" college town like Athens?

Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Also does Alabama have what is a "quintessential" college town like Athens?
Well I guess you could maybe argue Auburn, but definitely not Tuscaloosa, you couldn't pay me to live in that tornado infested rat hole.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Well I guess you could maybe argue Auburn, but definitely not Tuscaloosa, you couldn't pay me to live in that tornado infested rat hole.
Yeh I thought about Auburn but its not ever mentioned on list of college towns.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:51 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Is Auburn similar to Athens or Chapel Hill? I haven't been.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So taking away 30 something counties in a state with 159 would somehow be the same comparison to a state that has all its counties and major cities?
Makes no sense at all.All of North Carolina largest cities would still be around Atlanta's metro so what would that make North Carolina?Georgia?
I don't fully understand this but I will elaborate.

Atlanta is a Mega-city. It's like Chicago, LA, Houston etc. Alabama has no Mega-cities. Birmingham is a regional hub, not a Mega-city.

Remove the influence of the mega-city from the state of Georgia and it is very very similar to Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City