Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:25 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, had no idea. The most poppin' actress originally from my neck of the woods these days is Viola Davis, originally from St. Matthews which is immediately north of Orangeburg.
Mike Colter (the guy who plays Luke Evans on Netflix's Jessica Jones) is also from St. Matthews. Chadwick Boseman (the guy who played James Brown and Jackie Robinson) is from the Upstate.

And of course, the one and only Vanna White is a product of North Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:39 AM

Hey Mutiny, I've got a throwback for you, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S9eaNKU5Jk

I feel bad for the one token Black kid on the show. The state was 1/3rd Black and they could only put on one Black kid. SMDH.

Then again, he says it's a group from a presbyterian church, so I'm surprised there are any Black kids there at all.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Mike Colter (the guy who plays Luke Evans on Netflix's Jessica Jones) is also from St. Matthews. Chadwick Boseman (the guy who played James Brown and Jackie Robinson) is from the Upstate.

And of course, the one and only Vanna White is a product of North Myrtle Beach.
Yep! We've produced our fair share of celebs.

Quote:
Hey Mutiny, I've got a throwback for you, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S9eaNKU5Jk

I feel bad for the one token Black kid on the show. The state was 1/3rd Black and they could only put on one Black kid. SMDH.

Then again, he says it's a group from a presbyterian church, so I'm surprised there are any Black kids there at all.
Yeah you took it waaayyyy back lol.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Counties where Obama registered the least White support in 2012.

Georgia

Pike - 5.0%
Walton - 5.0%
Glascock - 6.0%
Schley - 6.0%
Bacon - 7.0%
Bleckley - 8.0%
Butts - 8.0%
Charlton - 8.0%
Laurens - 8.0%
Wilcox - 8.0%

South Carolina

Edgefield - 13.0%
Aiken - 15%
Florence - 16.0%
Greenwood - 17.0%
Lexington - 17%
Saluda - 17%
Anderson - 18.0%
Pickens - 18.0%
Barnwell - 19.0%
Cherokee - 19.0%

http://www.whitdem.org/2012WhiteVote.html

Georgia's rural counties actually voted more Republican than Alabama's rural counties. The difference obviously is that Atlanta offsets a lot of the rural vote. Obama, for example, won 55% of the White vote in Dekalb County.

The map for South Carolina looks a lot different from Georgia. It looks a lot like North Carolina minus the liberal enclaves such as Buncombe and Durham Counties. Obama ended up winning 35% of the White vote in Orangeburg County, which is largely rural. I'll let Mutiny77 explain that one.
The comparison between the counties is all over the place.. The counties in South Carolina are MUCH LARGER compared to the one's in Georgia.

Aiken and Edgefield counties are both suburbs of Augusta. Aiken County has almost 200,000 people.

Lexington county is over 200,000 and it's a suburb of Columbia, SC.

Anderson county has a population close to 200,000 and it's a suburb of Greenville, SC. Florence County in South Carolina has around 140,000 people....

The data is comparing large counties in South Carolina versus tiny counties in Georgia. Glascock county in Georgia has 3,000 people and Scheley County has 5,000 for example.

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-12-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
You comparing large counties in South Carolina versus tiny counties in Georgia.
That actually works to Georgia's advantage. For example, 60% of White voters in Richmond voted for Obama. But Richmond is only 60 sq. miles or so. If it were part of a larger surrounding county the same way many cities are, then the White vote share would decrease substantially. So having smaller counties here works to Georgia's advantage, not disadvantage. If you could break some of SC's counties down into smaller segments, you could probably get higher vote shares.

You could also take a number of counties in Georgia that are contiguous. We can use Appling, Montgomery, Wayne, Laurens, Bacon, Pierce, Toombs, Tatnall, Ware and Jeff Davis counties, which together are much larger than any one county in SC.

Jeff Davis - 11%
Ware - 11%
Tatnall - 9%
Wayne - 9%
Appling - 8%
Laurens - 8%
Montgomery - 8%
Toombs - 8%
Bacon - 7%
Pierce - 6%

All of those counties have lower Obama support than the weakest Obama county in South Carolina. So you have no argument here. Many of the higher to mid-range rural counties in Georgia would be on the lower end in South Carolina. That says a lot. At the end of the day, you simply can't find a part of South Carolina that votes that Republican.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Hancock gave the most support to Obama of GA's rural counties with 31% of White voters casting their vote for the Democratic candidate. Here are SC's rural counties.

Orangeburg - 35%
McCormick - 32%
Hancock - 31%
Hampton - 29%
Bamberg - 27%
Allendale - 26%
Chesterfield - 26%
Dillon - 24%
Lee - 24%
Abbeville - 23%
Georgetown - 23%
Colleton - 22%
Marion - 22%
Oconee - 22%
Chattooga - 20%
Talbot - 20%
Barnwell - 19%
Cherokee - 19%
Marlboro - 19%
Newberry - 18%
Oglethorpe - 17%

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-12-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 02:30 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
So that means you've had chicken bog?
Sorry to say, I haven't. I need to get back down there some time soon though.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:32 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah I have to agree. For instance, during the Civil Rights era, while SC wasn't anything close to an example of progress or tolerance--it did raise the Confederate flag over the Statehouse and produced staunch segregationist Strom Thurmond after all--it wasn't really known for high-profile incidents like violent protests or assassinations. I think the most publicized incident during that time was the Orangeburg Massacre, which not many people know about.

Yep. Back in my hometown, my parents live on land that was bequeathed to us by my great-grandmother; we are surrounded by relatives (my grandmother, great-aunts, cousins, etc.) who all live/lived on that land.
People don't realize that this is more common than they think. Even if people leave, they may come back to build a house and retire. That is what that aunt did........

Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People don't realize that this is more common than they think. Even if people leave, they may come back to build a house and retire. That is what that aunt did........
Absolutely; that happens all the time.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:03 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Both Georgia and North Carolina, have thriving cosmopolitan urban areas, famous, prestigious universities. Not to say that Alabama doesn't have any of this, but the Piedmont region with its major cities, and the Blue Ridge which has attracted outdoor enthusiasts creating places like Asheville are things that Alabama has no comparison. Alabama, through and through, I think of being one of THE most red blooded southern state with the least "new south".
I think Georgia has more in common with North Carolina, moreso than Georgia has with Alabama. Each state has it's different attractions when it pertains to outdoor enthusiasts; With Blue Ridge in GA/NC, there's also the Gulf Beaches in AL/FL, which North Carolina doesn't have in comparison. Also, while NC is definitely thriving more than Alabama is several areas, I don't think it has that urban, edgy, or cultured feel that Georgia has with Atlanta/Savannah, and Alabama with Birmingham/Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City