Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Carolina, more similar to Virginia or Georgia?
Virginia 74 66.67%
Georgia 37 33.33%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

I know there have been similar threads, but for this one, I'm just narrowing it down to these two states. Although there are certainly similarities with South Carolina and Tennessee, it seems like most would agree North Carolina is more similar to Virginia and Georgia. So, speaking in terms of history, culture, migration patterns, etc. What would you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Don't you have like ten of these threads already? cough <caulkslobber> cough.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:05 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Because of the Chesapeake Virginia doesn't actually have that much shore. In terms of culture I would say NC is more similar to GA, because VA has really morphed into a mid Atlantic state. In terms of cities I would say GA & NC have more in common because Charlotte, Atlanta, & Raleigh are very similar in my opinion. In terms of economy, I guess you could say VA & NC are more similar. The Triangle & NOVA are both tech focused areas, & both states have major military bases. Geographically NC & Georgia both have amazing mountains, but NC has beaches whereas VA has the Chesapeake which create very different cultures on the water. Virginia & GA have their populations in just a few small areas of the state, but NC has statewide suburban sprawl, so it isn't similar to either in that regard. Overall I would say NC is more similar to Georgia at the moment, but is moving to be more like VA

Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
In terms of culture I would say NC is more similar to GA, because VA has really morphed into a mid Atlantic state.
Mid-Atlantic in a Maryland/DC kind of way, not in a NY/NJ kind of way.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Because of the Chesapeake Virginia doesn't actually have that much shore. In terms of culture I would say NC is more similar to GA, because VA has really morphed into a mid Atlantic state. In terms of cities I would say GA & NC have more in common because Charlotte, Atlanta, & Raleigh are very similar in my opinion. In terms of economy, I guess you could say VA & NC are more similar. The Triangle & NOVA are both tech focused areas, & both states have major military bases. Geographically NC & Georgia both have amazing mountains, but NC has beaches whereas VA has the Chesapeake which create very different cultures on the water. Virginia & GA have their populations in just a few small areas of the state, but NC has statewide suburban sprawl, so it isn't similar to either in that regard. Overall I would say NC is more similar to Georgia at the moment, but is moving to be more like VA
GA and NC are similar, but VA and NC are more similar and a big part of this is because they don't have a metro that completely dominates the state like Atlanta does GA. A more even distribution of metro areas and all that comes with it (amenities, infrastructure, educational institutions, corporate headquarters, etc.) makes for a more similar vibe and feel. And although NC took a sharp turn to the right politically recently, state politics have historically been more similar in NC and VA with both being purple states now. Both NC's and VA's major universities are ACC schools with no SEC representation, including their flagship universities which are of similar caliber. When it comes to HBCUs, there's the CIAA connection. Geographically, they are practically mirror images of each other, each having higher mountains and longer coastlines than GA. The largest metro in both states crosses state lines (NOVA and Charlotte), and both have one metro centered around one dominant city (Charlotte, Richmond) and two multinodal regions (NOVA [although DC is the primary city of the region, within NOVA itself there is no one dominant city], Hampton Roads; Triangle, Triad). The capitals of both NC and VA are fall line cities with similarly sized MSAs. The tobacco industry is big in both states and Winston-Salem is like a mini-Richmond and is where the tobacco industry is most prominent in their respective states. The furniture industry was also historically big in both states (Martinsville in VA; High Point and Hickory in NC). The Tidewater culture extends from Hampton Roads into northeast NC. Both states have a notable and well-defined tech district (RTP, Dulles Tech Corridor). And so on and so forth.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Definitely Virginia. I lived in Virginia and almost everything I see out of North Carolina is reminiscent of Virginia. Doesn't at all remind me of Georgia.

Virginia is a balanced state, no big cities but is balanced with multiple medium sized places in Virginia Beach and Richmond. North Carolina is the same way, a little bit ahead of VA in this category, as it has larger cities and more of them (NC has three between 1.6 million - 2.5 million).

The topography and climate is probably more akin to each other than North Carolina to Georgia. North Carolina is an extraordinarily beautiful state, just as Virginia is. The same coastline that Virginia has, the same orientation in mountain ranges on the western parts of each state. Probably more akin to each other politically than either are to GA. I would guess that demographics in NC and VA are probably a bit closer to each other than NC to GA.

I don't know. You can technically go pages with similarities between NC and VA, they are the same sort of South, cut from the same cloth. I don't know, I don't think GA is that way, it doesn't come across that sort of way at all. I think Charlotte may be more similar to Atlanta than anything in VA but that is just semantics at this point, almost the rest of NC seems more in line with VA than GA.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Mid-Atlantic in a Maryland/DC kind of way, not in a NY/NJ kind of way.
What was the point of this comment? Useless.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
What was the point of this comment? Useless.
I think it's because there's no consensus on what mid-Atlantic means. The Census definition limits the region to the lower Northeast, mainly NY, NJ, and PA while it's often used colloquially to refer to the DC, MD, and VA region.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it's because there's no consensus on what mid-Atlantic means. The Census definition limits the region to the lower Northeast, mainly NY, NJ, and PA while it's often used colloquially to refer to the DC, MD, and VA region.
Still useless.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Regional divisions used by the United States Census Bureau:List of regions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City