Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times

Advertisements

For those who've lived in both Dallas and Houston, how would you compare the two cities?

I'm planning on semi-retiring in Houston soon, but although I thought I was ready, I'm feeling a little weepy about leaving Dallas. Surprise, surprise...I grew to love it over the years.

I get varying info on the cost of living in Houston vs Dallas (2 sites say it's a bit cheaper, and 2 say it's a bit more expensive). All those Exxon people moving in, causing a housing crisis and adding to what I understand to be a huge traffic problem in Houston. No snow (it has snowed in Dallas every year I've been here, I think). Things like that concern me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:00 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,277,047 times
Well before you get ripped on here for starting the 1 millionth Dallas VS Houston thread on here, I will this say in a nutshell....

1) Dallas is a little bit cleaner and more organized looking
2) Houston is more chaotic and feels more international
3) Dallas has better light rail service
4) Houston has an extensive park and ride and bus system
5) Dallas has the Galleria and Northpark Mall
6) Houston has the original Galleria (biggest mall in Texas) and Memorial City
7) Dallas's nicer side is to the north
8) Houston's nicer side is to the west
9) Dallas is mostly open prairie
10) Houston has prairie to the west, forested to the north, and the gulf coast/waterfront to the south
11) Both are doing extensive work to areas in and around their downtown vicinities. Dallas was more aggressive in the 2000s (pre-economy crash). Houston is definitely the more aggressive in development this day in time.
12) Dallas industry is a little more white collar, while Houston's is traditionally more blue collar (although that has been slowly changing)
13) Both are extremely hot in the summertime. Houston's temperature is actually lower than Dallas's but the humidity makes the heat index in Houston makes them feel just as hot.
14) Dallas looks better as far as infrastructure but Houston looks better naturally (more trees and greenery)
15) Traditionally, Dallas is more of a city that keeps up with the Jone's. Houston has a little bit of that too, just not as extensive.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,449,953 times
North Dallas suburbs (Flower Mound, Frisco, McKinney, etc) and Northwest Harris county suburbs (Cypress, Klein, and Tomball) are where the white people live.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 04-30-2015 at 12:49 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Well before you get ripped on here for starting the 1 millionth Dallas VS Houston thread on here, I will this say in a nutshell....

1) Dallas is a little bit cleaner and more organized looking
2) Houston is more chaotic and feels more international
3) Dallas has better light rail service
4) Houston has an extensive park and ride and bus system
5) Dallas has the Galleria and Northpark Mall
6) Houston has the original Galleria (biggest mall in Texas) and Memorial City
7) Dallas's nicer side is to the north
8) Houston's nicer side is to the west
9) Dallas is mostly open prairie
10) Houston has prairie to the west, forested to the north, and the gulf coast/waterfront to the south
11) Both are doing extensive work to areas in and around their downtown vicinities. Dallas was more aggressive in the 2000s (pre-economy crash). Houston is definitely the more aggressive in development this day in time.
12) Dallas industry is a little more white collar, while Houston's is traditionally more blue collar (although that has been slowly changing)
13) Both are extremely hot in the summertime. Houston's temperature is actually lower than Dallas's but the humidity makes the heat index in Houston makes them feel just as hot.
14) Dallas looks better as far as infrastructure but Houston looks better naturally (more trees and greenery)
15) Traditionally, Dallas is more of a city that keeps up with the Jone's. Houston has a little bit of that too, just not as extensive.
Oops. I forgot to do a search. I just did and see threads on this. Not sure if they're quite the same (I'm not asking about comparing winters or falls or schools, etc.), but lots to read.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
North Dallas suburbs (Flower Mound, Frisco, McKinney, etc) and Northwest Harris county suburbs (Cypress, Klein, and Tomball) are where the white people live.
In Dallas, there are many "white" areas. Preston Hollow, where former Prez Bush lives, is I believe 99.99999% white. So is Highland Park. Those are not far north like the ones you named. Plano is pretty much white, I think (a huge suburb). And Addison. Those two are far north, but south of the ones you named.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 AM

766 posts, read 1,255,687 times
I think both cities are fantastic places for a family or for someone who's career driven. Houston has a much nicer, albeit spread out, skyline. While Dallas is clean and flashy, things like the Perot museum really make it stand out. As far as weather, I think Houston has the edge because it rains a ton here and it makes the city green and beautiful. I am jealous of the snow in dallas though. Honestly both cities are pretty similar, huge spread out corporate hubs. The only city that really stands out for being different in Texas is Austin.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,270,937 times
I have lived in both, and the only real discernible difference to me was the weather.

Otherwise, the cities are alike....Dallas has the M-Streets, Houston has Montrose & the Heights.
Dallas has Highland Park, Houston has river Oaks
Dallas has Preston Hollow, Houston has Memorial.
Airports are the same
Cost of the living the same
roads all suck in both
You need a car in both
Both have similar flooding issues
Both have similar weather though, Dallas has more distinct 4 seasons
Houston has Hurricanes, Dallas has a few tornadoes
Houston is more international
Houston is more go along to get along, Dallas is a little more pretentious

I think you are really comparing to very similar places.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM

509 posts, read 737,075 times
Why would you retire to either place? These are cities that you move to for work. Houston and Dallas exist for making money. Otherwise, go someplace scenic without the traffic.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,652,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Why would you retire to either place? These are cities that you move to for work. Houston and Dallas exist for making money. Otherwise, go someplace scenic without the traffic.
I choose to live in Houston for the wonderful lifestyle it provides me.

Bored people are boring people.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM

986 posts, read 1,274,387 times
The biggest difference to me is the size. Plano to downtown Dallas is 20 miles while Woodlands to downtown Houston is 30 miles. I think that's a good measuring stick -- everything seems about 1.5 times further away Houston, and therefore usually takes 1.5 times as long to get there. I lived here for 5 years before we moved to Dallas for 4, and now that we are back, I had to readjust to how BIG this city is.

BPollen -- from what I've read, you are moving from in-town Dallas to Houston suburbia. I think that (in-town to suburbs) is going to be the biggest change for you. You won't really be comparing apples to apples. If you were coming from Mesquite or McKinney, you probably wouldn't notice a difference at all. Oh, except the damn Eatzi's here closed years ago and for some reason they haven't opened a new location, even though Dallas has 4. What is up with that???

People in Houston think people in Dallas are snobby. People in Dallas are snobby . . . if you hang out with snobby people. People in Dallas think people in Houston are hillbillies -- true, if you hang out with hillbillies.

I've lived in Houston, Dallas, and Austin, and you know what? They are all liberal-leaning, large urban areas in a very large and conservative state full of small cities and towns. If you can be happy in one, you can be happy in the other.

Why ARE you moving to Houston to retire? Do you have family here? I much prefer Houston to Dallas, but only because we have family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City