Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city/metro would you rather live in?
MSP 60 59.41%
PDX 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Ha. Thought you were linking some external facts.

$.02 added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
I absolutely love both cities, but Portland definitely feels more urban. That's not to say MSP isn't, though.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,652 times
Portland...because it's warmer.

It doesn't get down to -20F like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74ohwrFAUs

Old 05-01-2015, 07:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I absolutely love both cities, but Portland definitely feels more urban. That's not to say MSP isn't, though.
Interesting, I would have always thought MSP would seem more urban.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Interesting, I would have always thought MSP would seem more urban.
I wonder how PDF is defining urban. Going by population density, it's not even close:

Minneapolis:7,287 people per square mile
Portland: 4,375 people per square mile.

To be fair, Portland does have Forest Park, which is massive (5,170 acres). So, I crunched some numbers, and even if you were remove Forest Park from Portland, the city's density would only tic up to 4,451 people per square mile.

However, there are other factors that might give a city with less density a more urban feel. I'm not sure what those are.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 05-01-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
I definitely prefer Minneapolis.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:02 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Portland...because it's warmer.

It doesn't get down to -20F like this...
If it were below freezing throughout the year, I wouldn't live in Minneapolis nor would the majority of the 3 million plus that live in the area. The cold sucks - just like extreme heat does. It gets cold in Minneapolis; it gets very dreary in Portland - one can go DAYS without seeing the sun. It's all about what you are willing to deal with.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 14,469 times
Minneapolis. Too many white people in Portland, it's dangerous... or maybe just weird.

"No one expects the naked bike ride!"

Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I wonder how PDF is defining urban. Going by population density, it's not even close:

Minneapolis:7,287 people per square mile
Portland: 4,375 people per square mile.

To be fair, Portland does have Forest Park, which is massive (5,170 acres). So, I crunched some numbers, and even if you were remove Forest Park from Portland, the city's density would only tic up to 4,451 people per square mile.

However, there are other factors that might give a city with less density a more urban feel. I'm not sure what those are.
For Minneapolis you should split the density in half since at any given time about half of those people are on the street and the rest are in the skyways.

Outside of Nicollet Mall and maybe Loring Park you don't really get a sense of the higher density in most of the downtown. At least until you head over the river to the campus area.

Portland feels like its density is spread more evenly in most areas. Plus it's more compact so the Pearl, Oldtown Chinatown, downtown, and other end all blend together.

Whereas in Minneapolis you have to go over bridges to reach the other sections, which creates a feeling of separate sections.

That's my best guess on what PDF meant by more urban. Because when you're downtown Minneapolis you certainly know you're in a city with the skyscrapers.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:35 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
One thing about Minneapolis is that you have St. Paul right down the river too(which is an interesting older city in it's own right)--Portland doesn't have a second city in the area, it's all sort of average suburbs and a few nicer small towns. The second biggest city in the Portland metro is Vancouver across the border in Washington, but the downtown is nice in a small-town sort of way but still underutilized.

As far as downtown areas between Minneapolis and Portland though, I think I prefer Portland--there's a lot going on in Portland between the downtown and adjacent neighborhoods north of Burnside and across 405. Seems livelier than downtown Minneapolis when I've been there, though I don't know, some US downtowns can seem different depending on what time you're there and things change so quickly in terms of development(and Minneapolis has all the pro sports downtown as well). But I like how Portland's downtown and the neighborhoods around it feel like a compact yet pretty vibrant and well-connected area these days, there's a lot going on if you walk from the river all the way to NW 23rd and likewise there's a lot of stuff just across the bridges on the other side of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City