Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:04 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

^In Mississppi, the Memphis suburbs, selct parts of Jackson and its suburbs, parts of the college towns and some of the other cities(Meridian, Greenwood, Tupelo, Columbus, the Gulf cities, etc) is where you'll find some degree of a black middle class concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 03:52 PM

313 posts, read 159,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^In Mississppi, the Memphis suburbs, selct parts of Jackson and its suburbs, parts of the college towns and some of the other cities(Meridian, Greenwood, Tupelo, Columbus, the Gulf cities, etc) is where you'll find some degree of a black middle class concentration.
Facts

Old 02-08-2022, 07:05 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
these totals below are for 2019

10 most African-American cities (above 250,000 people)
1) Detroit (78%)
2) Memphis (64%)
3) Baltimore (62%)
4) New Orleans (59%)
5) Atlanta (51%)
6) Cleveland (49%)
7) Newark (48%)
8) St. Louis (47%)
9) DC (46%)
10) Cincinnati (42%)

13 other cities between 1-10 were not over 250k, most notably Jackson MS, Birmingham, Richmond, and Baton Rouge.

10 least African-American cities (above 250,000 people)
1) Laredo (0.3%)
2) Santa Ana, CA (1%)
3) Scottsdale, AZ (2%)
4) Irvine (2%)
5) Honolulu (2%)
6) Anaheim (2%)
7) Reno (2.5%)
8) Albuquerque (2.8%)
9) San Jose (2.8%)
10) El Paso (3.3%)

Notable cities that were in the width of this list include Oxnard, Ventura, Spokane, Eugene, Vancouver WA, Provo, and numerous LA area suburbs.
Is there an updated list?

Old 02-08-2022, 07:10 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Couple things...

1. DC proper has gained thousands of black people since 2010. The city is not losing black people.

2. Moving to Maryland is a step down from DC. Nobody brags about moving to Maryland because you can’t brag about that. How do you brag about not being able to afford the city so you have to live in the suburbs? People are trying to get into DC, not move out of it. DC is expensive so some people can’t afford DC so they have to move into Maryland and Virginia.
I disagree with the second. Cities have a poor reputation. Why live in the city when you can live in a blue chip auburb with a large house, yard for the dog etc? I dont like suburbs at all.. but most Americans flex suburbs over cities. Anyday.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
This site has the 100 biggest cities listed and it shows percentages. Check it out

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...ion-percentage
That's an interesting webpage...EXCEPT when i clicked the drop down 'White Alone' and found Hialeah at 90% + (totally False...WAY OFF).

Quote:
"The 5 largest ethnic groups in Hialeah, FL are White (Hispanic) (89.5%),"
I didn't need a data-page to prove this is wrong... when driving to Dade County, you'll need a translator to communicate with anyone. (no speake English)

https://datausa.io/profile/geo/hialeah-fl/

Old 02-08-2022, 07:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I disagree with the second. Cities have a poor reputation. Why live in the city when you can live in a blue chip auburb with a large house, yard for the dog etc? I dont like suburbs at all.. but most Americans flex suburbs over cities. Anyday.
That may be true in other cities, but most people give a disclaimer in DC during discussions about where they live if it’s in the suburbs. I’ll give you an example.

City Resident: Hello, nice to meet you. Do you live in the city?

Suburb Resident: No, I live in Maryland, but I’m close to the city.
Suburb Resident: No, I live in Virginia, but I’m right across the river.

City Resident: Oh……

I think this conversation happens whether in DC, Manhattan, San Francisco, and many other cities. People living in cities don’t give disclaimers for where they live. You’re either in the city or your out.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:38 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Couple things...

1. DC proper has gained thousands of black people since 2010. The city is not losing black people.

2. Moving to Maryland is a step down from DC. Nobody brags about moving to Maryland because you can’t brag about that. How do you brag about not being able to afford the city so you have to live in the suburbs? People are trying to get into DC, not move out of it. DC is expensive so some people can’t afford DC so they have to move into Maryland and Virginia.
Depends where in Maryland. Bethesda? $165k median household income. 85% college educated adults. Million dollar homes. A metro stop or two beyond the city line. Kind of different from taking the MARC in from Laurel.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
That may be true in other cities, but most people give a disclaimer in DC during discussions about where they live if it’s in the suburbs. I’ll give you an example.

City Resident: Hello, nice to meet you. Do you live in the city?

Suburb Resident: No, I live in Maryland, but I’m close to the city.
Suburb Resident: No, I live in Virginia, but I’m right across the river.

City Resident: Oh……

I think this conversation happens whether in DC, Manhattan, San Francisco, and many other cities. People living in cities don’t give disclaimers for where they live. You’re either in the city or your out.
Hypothesis: this happens roughly in cities where the median home price in the city > in the MSA/suburbs

Old 02-13-2022, 01:01 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times
Philadelphia is like 89% black...I don't know how it didn't even make the list;

Old 02-13-2022, 02:54 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Philadelphia is like 89% black...I don't know how it didn't even make the list;
The 2020 census found that Philadelphia was a little under 40% Black. No major US city is anywhere close to 89% Black, or 89% of any race/ethnicity for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City