Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 11:15 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
then why are so many speeding cameras in NE and SE DC poor black neighborhoods? Never mind the endless, outdated, elevated speed bumps throughout PG and DC that damage the undercarriage of your car...

And obviously residents spend more time driving in DC than non-residents...seeing as they're there 24/7.

I hear this argument in Baltimore too from City Councilor Ryan Dorsey and I don't buy it for a minute. Its a tax on the lower/middle class and working class not just commuters.

Why one earth am I subject to a speed camera on I-295 at 2 am in the morning as the only car around? And the amounts are just absolutely draconian. Economic violence.
This is triggering lol. I had to pay $400 for a speeding violation on 295 last year. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 11:23 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This is triggering lol. I had to pay $400 for a speeding violation on 295 last year. Ridiculous.
Yea but DC Isn’t punitive with fines because it has Black people in power. *eyeroll*

‘Not punitive‘ in a city Chock full of bureaucratic clerks, police, military personnel, cameras, exit fares and tow trucks ...

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-15-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2020, 11:38 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC lacks a traditional property tax base like other cities which is why it has so many speeding and red light cameras to compensate for that shortfall in revenue. It sucks as a driver in the city but that's why Waze exists.

DC gets the bulk of their taxes through commercial taxes from the miles upon miles of office, residential, and retail buildings all over the city along with hotels. That is why our property taxes are only 0.85 which is lower than every jurisdiction in the entire DMV region including the Baltimore region.

It also gets a lot of taxes from income taxes for those living in the city. DC pays more taxes to the Federal government than many states. City is basically rich.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:39 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but DC Isn’t punitive with fines because it has Black people in power. *eyeroll*

‘Not punitive‘ in a city Chock full of bureaucratic clerks, police, military personnel, cameras, exit fares and tow trucks ...
You choose to come into DC. You live in Maryland.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 PM

An article published today in the Boston Globe about a black man growing up in New Hampshire (he didn’t say where in NH).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/...hitest-states/

Old 07-15-2020, 02:35 PM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Lower class? Most people in DC proper don't even have cars. This is especially true for the lower class. Who are you referring to?
but most traffic cams are overwhelmingly located in black neighborhoods
https://www.washingtoninformer.com/t...neighborhoods/

so you're ok with this?

i'm not totally against speed cameras, as i think some located in school zones are appropriate, but having them on major roads like 295, nah. i know where most of them are so i just slow down when approaching and hit the gas when i pass them.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
but most traffic cams are overwhelmingly located in black neighborhoods
https://www.washingtoninformer.com/t...neighborhoods/

so you're ok with this?

i'm not totally against speed cameras, as i think some located in school zones are appropriate, but having them on major roads like 295, nah. i know where most of them are so i just slow down when approaching and hit the gas when i pass them.
Say it louder for the people in the back.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:38 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
On wikipedia DC is not on on the top ten. What is the minimum population being used for the ranking?

Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qolspony View Post
I'm not surprised by California cities making the top list. It has become extremely expensive to live in the state of California. And with the cost of living, you can't make a living, which many Black Americans occupied.

And being from New York City and now living in North Carolina, I can tell you from my honest opinion, the most "liberal" places are the worse places for Black Americans (at least from my experience). Expense is just one. "Liberal" policies bring more restrictions to how you can live. And punishment is usually handed down into fines and some jail time. Because someone has to pay for all these things.

By the way, San Francisco was once a place for many Black Americans. But seeing San Antonio there is shocking, but Houston, which was majority Black at one time (1980s/1990s) is increasingly Mexican. The white population has again surpassed the Black population, although Houston has had a Black mayor several times. And Portland has never really been a Black town.

I disagree 100%. Liberal cities are typically where most of the union jobs are located and the union jobs in these citites have played a part in helping develop a black middle class. Its a known fact that racism is part of the reason why southeners take pride in being against them.

As far as black success goes I cant think of one city or place thats conservative with a thriving black population from a city level. Mississippi and South Carolina are the two blackest states percent wise and arguably two of the worst places a black man can live even today.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Have you ever lived in DC? The above couldn't be farther from the truth in regards to DC. I could see how you would feel that way coming from NYC though. Black people are not in power there.
Black people are not in power in DC either or pretty much anywhere in this country. If Black people were in power in DC they would not be getting pushed out of their communties and boasting about living in Maryland and driving into the city for work.

What do you defind power as?

Here in NYC, Jewish people are literally gentrification proof. Williamsburg one of the most gentrified places in the world still has a jewish section that 99% Jewish. Now thats a good example of what real power looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City