Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American
New York City 36 16.07%
Miami 1 0.45%
Chicago 111 49.55%
Los Angeles 7 3.13%
Dallas 16 7.14%
Washington D.C. 12 5.36%
Atlanta 9 4.02%
Phoenix 6 2.68%
Seattle 1 0.45%
Philadelphia 25 11.16%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What does that even mean
Namely The Breakfast Club, Ferris Buelers Day Off and Home Alone (Hughes wrote screenplay). If you watch those three films, you'll see what I mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Namely The Breakfast Club, Ferris Buelers Day Off and Home Alone (Hughes wrote screenplay). If you watch those three films, you'll see what I mean
I have and I still don't understand. Those movies could have taken place anywhere and nobody would have noticed. It is not like there was distinctively Chicago about them.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:51 AM

431 posts, read 521,318 times
Why is Miami an option but not Boston?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:53 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Why on Earth is Miami on there?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Why is Miami an option but not Boston?
Good question, Miami is probably the least american city. Why isn't Indianapolis on this is my question. It is very American. A boring, soulless place like most of the country.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
I have and I still don't understand. Those movies could have taken place anywhere and nobody would have noticed. It is not like there was distinctively Chicago about them.
Well, tomato tomaato I guess

Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Wow-Chicago seems to be the popular choice here-73 out of 138 voters. It was my first thought too.

I do agree with Eddie on Philly-but it doesn't seem to be widely known or accepted by most people.

Chicago, NYC, Philly and even LA would all be great answers in their own ways.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Chicago. It's midwestern big city vibe encompasses the overall US makeup.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Chicago has unique architecture like Boston which does add an element of pure American-ness to it.

However, Chicago's cuisine is heavily European influenced. Polish sausage, unique styles of pizza not found anywhere else (New York's style is considered the standard for American pizza), Italian beef, and the fact that Chicago was late af in the chili game and when chili did arrive in Chicago from Lindy (she was a Texan) nobody knew what the hell it was. Chicago's hot dog while it shares similarities with many hot dogs across the nation is a very odd non standard frank that is based on a kosher Vienna sausage with mustard and onions. Again, European.

As is its dialect. Ever hear a native Chicago person speak? It is like an odd bastardization of American English in which they don't know how to pronounce vowels properly. It has a heavy European tinge and inflection to it. Why do I say this?

It basically sounds like a Bostonian and a Minnesotan had a baby who was then raised by a Polish nanny who lived in Ireland and then came to the US via Germany. ...
Chicago's climate is also too cold to be representative of the country as a whole. The winters are too cold for most Americans, even those that are from the North (except the Upper Midwest).

I stand by my Philly vote. And everyone knows I am not from Philly.
Totally respect your choice. But MOST would use the 20th century INFLUENCE on America and what it gave us.... Truly Philly and Boston get our EARLY HISTORY INFLUENCE. Both Philly and Chicago had their greatest growth in the 20th century.

But you TRUELY gave me a Chuckle with your HIGHLIGHTED PARTS ABOVE ..... But apparently it is to somehow claim a Philly Cheesesteak is TOTALLY AMERICAN and the HOT DOG IS NOT? OR A ITALIAN BEEF in Chicago is less.... AMERICAN with Italian in its name?

Maybe Chez whiz on a Cheesesteak MAKES IT... totally American since the whiz is a perverted cheese product..... but I will also say a Chicago Italian Beef. Had no tomato sauce on it. Most in the East gets some sauce on it if called Italian Cheesesteak. Then no longer Philly-style of course.

I also do not think a hot dog (Kosher or not) is common in Europe unless linked to being AMERICAN. Or in Italy a Italian Beef is common at all or a soooo called deep-dish pizza.

Just I'm not sure what you claim as totally American in a food labeled Philly-style IS American? But Chicago-style is EUROPEAN? Maybe a Philly Cheesesteak when it has cheez whiz on it? Chicago also has its Italian Beef and it is known for Deep-Dish pizza. Though thin-crispy pizza is most common in its neighborhoods.... NOT WHIMPY KINDS as we get back east. The Midwest also cuts this pizza into square party-style over triangular slices.....

BUT OMG.... YOU FLOORED ME WITH YOUR TAKE ON A VERY RARE TO HEAR TODAY.... DA CHICAGO ACCENT.
Some could say the same for a NYC Brooklyn accent. Much more common. Then what is left of a TRUE Chicago accent today. in some Southside areas that remained White older neighborhoods you might get it yet.

Any hot dog has roots in a German brats I believe? But it evolved CLEARLY into a AMERICAN VARIETY OF SAUSAGE. What makes a Chicago-style dog using the brand Vienna-Frank. Does not mean it is a Vienna ethnic kind of dog or sausage and yes it is A ALL BEEF DOG. Kosher is not merely European either....

What makes a CHICAGO-DOG is this on it.....
Both these I ate in June from DIFFERENT EATERIES there.
Sport peppers I LUV... they really put the Celery salt on the first one too.

Hid on 1st below...seen on 2nd..DA Italian Beef Chicago-style.. My personal Deep-Dish and brew.
Attached Thumbnails
Most "Quintessentially" American City-chicago-dog-june-2016.jpg   Most "Quintessentially" American City-chicago-dog-2016.jpg   Most "Quintessentially" American City-chicago-italian-beef_edited.jpg   Most "Quintessentially" American City-my-personal-deep-dish-2016.jpg  

Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Totally respect your choice. But MOST would use the 20th century INFLUENCE on America and what it gave us.... Truly Philly and Boston get our EARLY HISTORY INFLUENCE. Both Philly and Chicago had their greatest growth in the 20th century.

But you TRUELY gave me a Chuckle with your HIGHLIGHTED PARTS ABOVE ..... But apparently it is to somehow claim a Philly Cheesesteak is TOTALLY AMERICAN and the HOT DOG IS NOT? OR A ITALIAN BEEF in Chicago is less.... AMERICAN with Italian in its name?

Maybe Chez whiz on a Cheesesteak MAKES IT... totally American since the whiz is a perverted cheese product..... but I will also say a Chicago Italian Beef. Had no tomato sauce on it. Most in the East gets some sauce on it if called Italian Cheesesteak. Then no longer Philly-style of course.

I also do not think a hot dog (Kosher or not) is common in Europe unless linked to being AMERICAN. Or in Italy a Italian Beef is common at all or a soooo called deep-dish pizza.

Just I'm not sure what you claim as totally American in a food labeled Philly-style IS American? But Chicago-style is EUROPEAN? Maybe a Philly Cheesesteak when it has cheez whiz on it? Chicago also has its Italian Beef and it is known for Deep-Dish pizza. Though thin-crispy pizza is most common in its neighborhoods.... NOT WHIMPY KINDS as we get back east. The Midwest also cuts this pizza into square party-style over triangular slices.....

BUT OMG.... YOU FLOORED ME WITH YOUR TAKE ON A VERY RARE TO HEAR TODAY.... DA CHICAGO ACCENT.
Some could say the same for a NYC Brooklyn accent. Much more common. Then what is left of a TRUE Chicago accent today. in some Southside areas that remained White older neighborhoods you might get it yet.

Any hot dog has roots in a German brats I believe? But it evolved CLEARLY into a AMERICAN VARIETY OF SAUSAGE. What makes a Chicago-style dog using the brand Vienna-Frank. Does not mean it is a Vienna ethnic kind of dog or sausage and yes it is A ALL BEEF DOG. Kosher is not merely European either....

What makes a CHICAGO-DOG is this on it.....
Both these I ate in June from DIFFERENT EATERIES there.
Sport peppers I LUV... they really put the Celery salt on the first one too.

Hid on 1st below...seen on 2nd..DA Italian Beef Chicago-style.. My personal Deep-Dish and brew.
You could argue the same about Brooklyn but that's why I didn't list New York. The non American influence there is super strong. Chinese anyone?

A hot dog is American but based on Vienna sausage (wiener as in Wien for Vienna). Philly's cheesesteak isn't really based on any European counterpart that I know of.

Now as far as the other foods I listed, I agree that they are not European. But Polish sausage? Kielbasa is absolutely not American and Chicago has entire food stands dedicated to selling kielbasa. It is one of Chicago's well known foods.

Is Chicago pizza not eaten in Europe? Of course it isn't. But, it certainly isn't an American standard. New York pizza is. Chicago pizza by definition can't lay claim to being the most American in the same fashion New Haven style can't.

Now you may think the Chicago accent is rare but that sounds like something a Northerner would say. Even young people have it. What nobody in Chicago has is that WISCONSIN bastardized accent used in the Superfan skit. That has never existed in Chicago so no wonder people say the Chicago accent is rare. It isn't rare, most people just don't know how to properly imitate us. Either way, it is kind of a non-American sounding accent due to the heavy Polish, Irish, and German influence. Philly while it had a distinct accent has less "foreign" influence and also is closer to General American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City