Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

The other funny thing is that she said that SF isn't as well known in China as people in the US think. She said that the only cities that Chinese really care about in the US, at least for visiting, are NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, and Honolulu. Apparently she didn't even know much of anything about SF until she came to the US a few years ago.
SF has much bigger visitor counts from China than basically all those cities excepting LA and NYC, so that makes no sense.

And I suspect Chicago and Miami are not really on the radar for Chinese visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 PM

150 posts, read 215,152 times
I wouldn't stress about the "outlook" projections. I've never seen one that came anywhere close to being true. I remember reading back in the late 90's how Stockholm, Milwaukee, Perth, etc would be the greatest cities by 2010! The tech bubble would dethrone Silicon Valley! China would take over the world! Japan will eat us alive! Argentina will be the strongest country in the world by 1950!

It's just speculative garbage meant to be taken as a talking point than an actual projection. The only well educated projections seem to come from the UN concerning countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Toronto being so low on the outlook took me by surprise. What's that about?
I don't think even AT Kearney could tell you.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
SF has much bigger visitor counts from China than basically all those cities excepting LA and NYC, so that makes no sense.

And I suspect Chicago and Miami are not really on the radar for Chinese visitors.
These aren't my observations. It's merely what my girlfriend who's from China and moved to NYC 2 years ago told me. She's said some very interesting things that surprised me about this type of stuff for various areas of the US. The thing about San Francisco was that it is not as well known to Chinese as people in the US think. She also has stated things like "Many Chinese do not really give a **** about visiting Washington DC."

Old 05-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Here are the actual numbers for Chinese visitors to U.S. cities, and they are basically what you expect- NYC, DC and all the major West Coast destinations.

In order, top destinations for Chinese visitors to U.S. are-

1. NYC
2. LA
3. SF
4. Washington
5. Las Vegas

IHG predicts huge jump in Chinese visitors to U.S. coastal cities: Travel Weekly

I'm a little surprised that DC is in the Top 5, (I would have thought Honolulu or Seattle because of their West Coast location) but besides that, it's exactly as expected.

NYC, LA and SF are obviously the Big 3 when it comes to Chinese visitors, and that will probably always be the case, since they have the largest Chinese populations and business connections, are major tourist centers, and fairly strong business and cultural ties.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Here are the actual numbers for Chinese visitors to U.S. cities, and they are basically what you expect- NYC, DC and all the major West Coast destinations.

In order, top destinations for Chinese visitors to U.S. are-

1. NYC
2. LA
3. SF
4. Washington
5. Las Vegas

IHG predicts huge jump in Chinese visitors to U.S. coastal cities: Travel Weekly

I'm a little surprised that DC is in the Top 5, (I would have thought Honolulu or Seattle because of their West Coast location) but besides that, it's exactly as expected.

NYC, LA and SF are obviously the Big 3 when it comes to Chinese visitors, and that will probably always be the case, since they have the largest Chinese populations and business connections, are major tourist centers, and fairly strong business and cultural ties.
DC is the center of power in the US.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
DC is the center of power in the US.
It's the center of political power, yes, obviously. But I still find it surprising.

I would not expect Ottawa to be a huge destination for Chinese in Canada, or Brasilia a huge destination for Chinese in Brazil. And DC tends to be more of a domestic tourist center than an international one, because its appeal for leisure visitors is almost entirely related to its status as national capitol.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
It's the center of political power, yes, obviously. But I still find it surprising.

I would not expect Ottawa to be a huge destination for Chinese in Canada, or Brasilia a huge destination for Chinese in Brazil. And DC tends to be more of a domestic tourist center than an international one, because its appeal for leisure visitors is almost entirely related to its status as national capitol.
I didn't think tourism was the criteria. And DC is a power center far above Ottowa or Brasilia.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I didn't think tourism was the criteria. And DC is a power center far above Ottowa or Brasilia.
Tourism wasn't a criteria for ranking visitors? Why else are Chinese people visiting for leisure?

I don't see how DC is more important to the U.S. than Ottawa or Brasilia are to Canada or Brazil. In all these cases, the national capitols are among the most important cities, but not at the top of most important cities (at best top 5, say). Ottawa is the fourth most populous Canadian metro and Brasilia is the fourth most populous Brazilian metro.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
This was my girlfriend's sentiment. It's important to people from the US and other international people who are interested in US history, but overall you can't expect many people to be interested in the government and its buildings of a country that is not theirs to warrant a very long trip there. DC has some awesome cultural institutions though, but does it warrant a 3+ day vacation to the city? For some I guess it might, but not necessarily of the weight that a NYC, Miami, Vegas, etc might pull where international tourists know from the start they're going on a fun vacation.

US tourism is a weird one in my opinion that in reality doesn't offer as much as some other countries around the world. Just my own opinion though.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Tourism wasn't a criteria for ranking visitors? Why else are Chinese people visiting for leisure?

I don't see how DC is more important to the U.S. than Ottawa or Brasilia are to Canada or Brazil. In all these cases, the national capitols are among the most important cities, but not at the top of most important cities (at best top 5, say). Ottawa is the fourth most populous Canadian metro and Brasilia is the fourth most populous Brazilian metro.
Canada is a part of the G-8, but Brazil is not. I mean really, is DC not one of the political power centers of the world? And this is supposed to be a global list, not just nation by nation. Heck, if you were looking at tourism, Denver should be on the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City