Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,212 times

Advertisements

I'm turning 18 next summer and I'm trying to decide between Philly and Chicago. I'm from Southern California so I'd like to experience something totally different. So dear citydata users, can you help a girl out and talk about anything from food and culture to COL and crime. Compare everything you can think of. Thanks
• Urbaneness
• COL
• Vibe/Character
• Crime
• Public Transportation
• Walkability
• Nightlife
• Food
• Culture/Music
• Sports
• Anything else you can think of……..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 PM

403 posts, read 597,567 times
You're going to be going to college in either city, right? The college is more important, but if all things are equal I would choose Chicago.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
• Urbaneness - Draw
• COL - Chicago
• Vibe/Character - Draw
• Crime - Chicago
• Public Transportation - Chicago by a hair
• Walkability - Draw
• Nightlife - Draw
• Food - Draw
• Culture/Music -Draw
• Sports - Draw

They're two quite similar cities with their own distinct identities but given your age and vulnerabilities as a young female moving from a non-urban environment for the first time I would give Chicago the nod as it has more separation in my opinion from potential crime issues than Philly and a better cost of living.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
The cities are not terribly different - both are pretty urban, walkable, good public transit, etc. Chicago is over 1 million people larger than Philadelphia. Chicago has a better crime rate as there is a section of Chicago that's not much smaller than the entire city of Philadelphia that experiences moderately low crime rates when put together. I also would give the nod to Chicago in food and nightlife as it is more versatile in those categories than Philadelphia IMO. Culture/Music is a tough one - both good in their own rights (maybe slightly towards Chicago).

I think either city you pick is good, but personally I'd pick Chicago unless you are going to want to travel to other good cities like NYC, DC, and Boston quite often then Philadelphia is better positioned for that.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:16 AM

150 posts, read 215,013 times
• Urbaneness - Chicago. Philly is pretty urban, but I think Chicago is a half tier above in this category.

• COL - ?

• Vibe/Character - Very similar. Can't really differentiate. Both are big cities, but a little more down to Earth than people from SoCal or NYC.

• Crime - Philly used to be more dangerous, but Chicago seems to be the one that's more dangerous now. Kayne doesn't call it "Chiraq" for no reason.

• Public Transportation - Chicago has a better subway system. Not sure about busing though.

• Walkability - Philly has a denser downtown core, making it easy to navigate, but part of that has to do with it being smaller too.

• Nightlife - You're 3 years away from being able to legally drink and get into clubs, bars, etc. So no idea. Chicago has a better concert and festival scene, but Philly is close to NYC for a weekend getaway.

• Food - Both have signature foods. Lots of character when it comes to meals in both cities. Chicago has more options though.

• Culture/Music - Chicago has a superior music scene (both rock/indie and hip hop) being the hub for the Midwest and all. When a band makes it big on the East Coast, they head to Manhattan or Brooklyn, thus leaving some of the other Eastern metros a little dry on talent.

• Sports - Each city is represented in all major sports leagues, with mixed results.

All in all, they are pretty similar. Philadelphia is a little smaller, less cosmopolitan, and possibly interesting, but it has the advantage of being around NYC and other large East coast metros. Giving you some quick getaway options.

On the other hand, Chicago is a closer flight or drive back to California if and when you get homesick, lol.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
• Crime - Philly used to be more dangerous, but Chicago seems to be the one that's more dangerous now. Kayne doesn't call it "Chiraq" for no reason.
Philly is actually a little more dangerous. Although there is something to the name Chiraq (especially as it rhymes with Iraq), it was made popular in song. There's many, many safe areas of Chicago away from what you're given thru media.

Here are the FBI's 2013 numbers:
FBI — Table 6

Homicide
Philadelphia: 15.9 per 100k
Chicago: 15.2 per 100k

Robbery
Philadelphia: 486.9 per 100k
Chicago: 434.3 per 100k

Burglary
Philadelphia: 670.1 per 100k
Chicago: 653.4 per 100k

Larceny-Theft
Chicago: 2407.5 per 100k
Philadelphia: 2398.5 per 100k

Motor Vehicle Theft
Chicago: 464.5 per 100k
Philadelphia: 372.9

Philadelphia has slightly higher crime rates for 2013 in every category except for Larceny-Theft and Motor Vehicle Theft.

Quote:
• Walkability - Philly has a denser downtown core, making it easy to navigate, but part of that has to do with it being smaller too.
Chicago has the 2nd largest downtown in the US after NYC and it's pretty dense and extremely walkable. I'd give this nod to Chicago if you were talking about downtowns. Philadelphia's downtown is not small at all, but it's not as big as Chicago's which is also pretty dense (for non-NYC US standards).

Old 05-23-2015, 11:08 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Since you are from California and looking for something completely different, I'd pick Philly-it is a great city and will also allow you to explore up and down the East Coast.

I love Chicago as well, so tough choice..

Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
You really can't go wrong with either cities, and these cities are actually very similar to one another in their fabric; other than one being a traditional east coast city and the other mid-western. They both have strong neighborhoods that stand on their own, in addition to their downtowns. If you are moving for college, your choice of the right college should dictate your choice more so than the city. Since you're from the west coast, living in Philly would allow you a better opportunity to experience the northeast/ mid-Atlantic region and its cities since they are less spread out than cities in the Midwest. Both are amazing cities, and you can't really go wrong with either, as long as they fit your needs.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The cities are not terribly different - both are pretty urban, walkable, good public transit, etc. Chicago is over 1 million people larger than Philadelphia. Chicago has a better crime rate as there is a section of Chicago that's not much smaller than the entire city of Philadelphia that experiences moderately low crime rates when put together. I also would give the nod to Chicago in food and nightlife as it is more versatile in those categories than Philadelphia IMO. Culture/Music is a tough one - both good in their own rights (maybe slightly towards Chicago).

I think either city you pick is good, but personally I'd pick Chicago unless you are going to want to travel to other good cities like NYC, DC, and Boston quite often then Philadelphia is better positioned for that.
It might not be a matter of terribly different? But in HOUSING. Chicago and Philly are greatly different. Philly is the Row Home Capital of the nation. Philadelphia has more than 300,000 row homes in almost every possible shape and size, more than any other city in the United States. http://phillygreenhome.com/ Many are on a Chicago alleyway size street. Walls of Row homes in every direction. Many having no green frontage to the sidewalk and street as EVERY Chicago neighborhood has, and Chicago has very Low % of Row homes. Some new townhouses around Downtown now. But I mean old stock varieties.

Philly surely has many Tree-lined streets. Especially more outlier parts of the city proper. Its Colonial high-end Areas are green. But vast areas of the city have lower amounts.

Chicago seems to have trees in every neighborhood. Many huge as a they can tower above all the houses. Of course I know YOU Know that. Just when I SAW.... NOT terribly different? For me... the housing varieties and styles really are, and street grid. Chicago also has a fully alleyway system and its Bungalow belt.

.......Chicago...... ....Philadelphia ......Chicago again..
Attached Thumbnails
Should I move to Philly or Chicago???????-chicago-neighborhood-wrigley-field_..jpg   Should I move to Philly or Chicago???????-phila-rowhouse-city__-.jpg   Should I move to Philly or Chicago???????-chicago-overhead-lots-trees___.jpg  

Last edited by steeps; 05-23-2015 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 10:29 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Move to Chicago. Philly is a downgrade from Chicago IMHO especially because you are a woman it will be intolerable for you

Philly is a nasty city IMO. The folks there smell, have yellow pit stains under their arm, the men grow ugly beards that have lays chips crumbs in it, everybody farts all the time, and folks look like they got off a shift in the ole factory IMO. No fashion sense IMO. The food sucks unless you like garlic bread or cream cheese, etc. No offense but Philly folks aint the best looking just like their city IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City