Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 PM

171 posts, read 233,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This is the truth.

To the OP, choose based on college. Both cities are excellent, and the better college (not just rankings, but affordability, internship opportunities, etc.) will potentially make the rest of your life better.
I agree-focus on the school!

However, I will say that Philly definitely feels East Coast to me and Chicago is solid Midwest. Each city has a very different vibe in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
You do realize that there was a huge debate about whether Philly or Chicago had the 2nd largest downtown and Philly one. There are about 100 articles that say that Philly has the second largest downtown. Just thought that the OP shouldn't be misinformed by a biased Chicagoan (similar to MSNBC and politics ;p)
lol, just had to reply because those threads were such a mess.

There weren't "100 articles". It was more like 100 reposts of one spot written by a person at one of Philadelphia's community magazines that pointed out if they take expanded boundries of greater downtown Philly then they count up more residents than if they compare it to some definition of downtown Chicago and how many residents are there. The article didn't actually mention Chicago much at all, it was more a boosting article to explain how downtown Philly is making a nice comeback and people should come visit.

All that fighting in the other threads based off some civic boosting op-ed piece from a variety magazine that floats around Philadelphia letting you know what's going on around town and what to do that weekend.

I was curious and looked at their definition of the new downtown Philly and it included areas like this

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9670.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9348.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

There weren't "100 articles". It was more like 100 reposts of one spot written by a person at one of Philadelphia's community magazines that pointed out if they take expanded boundries of greater downtown Philly then they count up more residents than if they compare it to some definition of downtown Chicago and how many residents are there. The article didn't actually mention Chicago much at all, it was more a boosting article to explain how downtown Philly is making a nice comeback and people should come visit.

All that fighting in the other threads based off some civic boosting op-ed piece from a variety magazine that floats around Philadelphia letting you know what's going on around town and what to do that weekend.

I was curious and looked at their definition of the new downtown Philly and it included areas like this

Yes exactly. Philly has Colonial and Row home neighborhoods as part of Center City. Why I believe it is time Chicago technically include the High-rise living and Gold Coast.... to Lincoln Park. As part of downtown too. Also the near South where new Skyscraper living near Solider Field has evolved and Townhouse developments. Some in Philly want their University City section. Also declared Downtown, seeing more action then its center?

Who would object to the lower half of this picture.
Being part on the continuous downtown too. It currently is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I move to Philly or Chicago???????-chicago-gold-coast-downtown__.jpg  

Old 05-26-2015, 11:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Move to Chicago. Philly is a downgrade from Chicago IMHO especially because you are a woman it will be intolerable for you

Philly is a nasty city IMO. The folks there smell, have yellow pit stains under their arm, the men grow ugly beards that have lays chips crumbs in it, everybody farts all the time, and folks look like they got off a shift in the ole factory IMO. No fashion sense IMO. The food sucks unless you like garlic bread or cream cheese, etc. No offense but Philly folks aint the best looking just like their city IMO
Cmon, guys, thats funny. I dont care who you are.

As for the OP...

• Urbaneness - Chicago
• COL - Chicago
• Vibe/Character - Tie
• Crime - Tie
• Public Transportation - Chicago
• Walkability - Tie
• Nightlife - Chicago
• Food - Chicago
• Culture/Music - Chicago
• Sports - Tie

Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:

That definition is BS and most Philadelphians would agree. A more realistic definition of Philadelphia's downtown would be this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9503...U.kygLBzfP-a0s

Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Philly is actually a little more dangerous. Although there is something to the name Chiraq (especially as it rhymes with Iraq), it was made popular in song. There's many, many safe areas of Chicago away from what you're given thru media.

Here are the FBI's 2013 numbers:
FBI — Table 6

Homicide
Philadelphia: 15.9 per 100k
Chicago: 15.2 per 100k

Robbery
Philadelphia: 486.9 per 100k
Chicago: 434.3 per 100k

Burglary
Philadelphia: 670.1 per 100k
Chicago: 653.4 per 100k

Larceny-Theft
Chicago: 2407.5 per 100k
Philadelphia: 2398.5 per 100k

Motor Vehicle Theft
Chicago: 464.5 per 100k
Philadelphia: 372.9

Philadelphia has slightly higher crime rates for 2013 in every category except for Larceny-Theft and Motor Vehicle Theft.

Chicago has the 2nd largest downtown in the US after NYC and it's pretty dense and extremely walkable. I'd give this nod to Chicago if you were talking about downtowns. Philadelphia's downtown is not small at all, but it's not as big as Chicago's which is also pretty dense (for non-NYC US standards).
I think Philadelphia actually had a lower homicide rate than Chicago last year and has a lower one so far this year as well.

Agree on the Downtown point. Chicago is #2. Philadelphia would likely be four after San Francisco as well.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 PM

233 posts, read 333,900 times
Quote:

that is the Tasker to Girard definition I mentioned earlier, and yeah it's insane. Also fwiw the buildings in the first link are the redeveloped Richard Allan projects, which are sort of weirdly low density due to how the PHA went about replacing them and are atypical of the development near center city.

Last edited by thwanko; 05-27-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I think Philadelphia actually had a lower homicide rate than Chicago last year and has a lower one so far this year as well.

Agree on the Downtown point. Chicago is #2. Philadelphia would likely be four after San Francisco as well.
I don't think Philly had a lower homicide rate last year (although I can't immediately find the data), and as of last week, Chicago's rate was still lower, but they are really close.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...up-date-2.html

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 05-27-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 PM

233 posts, read 333,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Chicago had slightly fewer murders in 2014 than 2013 and Philly had 1 more, so it would still have a marginally higher rate unless it is gaining population much faster. http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...r-capital.html

That being said the difference is so small that I don't think it would have any tangible difference on a resident's life.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't think Philly had a lower homicide rate last year (although I can't immediately find the data), and as of last week, Chicago's rate was still lower, but they are really close.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...up-date-2.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
Chicago had slightly fewer murders in 2014 than 2013 and Philly had 1 more, so it would still have a marginally higher rate unless it is gaining population much faster. America

That being said the difference is so small that I don't think it would have any tangible difference on a resident's life.
Agreed. The difference is so marginal it doesn't really matter.

I just looked up the murder rates. For 2014:

Chicago
407 homicides
2,718,782 population
15 per 100,000

Philadelphia
248 homicides
1,560,297 population
15.9 per 100,000

So far for 2015:

Chicago
156 homicides
2,718,782 population
5.7 per 100,000

Philadelphia
94 homicides
1,560,296 population
6 per 100,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City