Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Surprised no one mentioned Las Vegas.

It's skyline reaches close to seven miles in length and is starting to spread further east and west. So when you look at it, it's almost overwhelming. Yet the city only has about 610,000 (metro two million). It's just that so much of our city is dedicated to visitors that it's core shows far more than what the city actually has as residents. With 151,000 rooms, the hotels dominate the skyline.
You are?

I know some people out there mistakenly thing skylines determine how large a city is, but I'm sure most people realize that Vegas isn't really that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:45 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Atlanta = bigger

Sacramento = city looks and feels just right of population size

Phoenix = smaller

Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 PM

616 posts, read 645,246 times
Jersey City kicks major butt over most of the top 20 cities in the US
notice I said MOST--not all

Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Jersey City kicks major butt over most of the top 20 cities in the US
notice I said MOST--not all
In what way?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM

346 posts, read 388,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
Why is there a problem?
The problem is that the population of the metro area drives the feeling of the bigness of a city. Just using the number of people who happen to live inside the city limits is not much of a barometer for anything. The reason Boston and Atlanta feel bigger than Jacksonville is obvious if you look at the metro populations.

Last edited by chuckshere; 06-01-2015 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 09:46 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You're talking about the strip which is largely in unincorporated Paradise no? It is pretty impressive but to me it looks more like an amusement park. The actual downtown Vegas skyline left something to be desired last I was there. Almost all residential in nature (condos/hotels) almost no office.
We still all use Las Vegas postal addresses. The Strip addresses are Las Vegas... But there are a bunch of areas in there including Enterprise, Winchester, Paradise, etc.

I realize the skyline isn't the only thing to consider... But it is simply massive. Seven miles full of 42 towers at least 400 feet high. Architecturally, it has calmed down quite a bit. The entire city center area (about a dozen towers) are simply modern glass. A lot of the neon has gave way to more simple exterior illuminations.

I think the location of McCarran also plays a role in this... Most cities have an airport that is a bit remote... At least somewhat removed from the chaos. In Vegas, you fly right into the hub and you're surrounded by 5-600 footers... But as I said, so much of that is just to accommodate outsiders. The hotel to residential tower ratio here has to be the highest in the country.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
What about Bellevue, Hartford, and Des Moines? Those cities look ALOT bigger than it is. All 3 cities are under 200k and are the urban centers of a major metropolitan areas. Actually I take that back. Bellevue is a city outside its major urban center, Seattle. Hartford has roughly 120,000 residents and looks like it has at least 300,000 while Des Moines is just under 200k yet it looks like it's at least 300,000 as well. Why didn't you mentioned medium sized cities as well instead of large major cities. San Francisco only looks bigger than it is because it's similar to NYC. You can't build outwards anymore. It's a city surrounded by water. That's why it's one of the most densely populated cities in the country.
It may be nitpicking, but Des Moines is officially over 200K (~203K as of the 2010 census, ~209K as of 2014 estimate). While in some ways it feels like a larger city (nice skyline, good-but-not-great selection of retailers and eateries), in other ways it feels exactly like a 600K metro (traffic is rarely a huge issue, doesn't have all the major retail/restaurant chains that even some peer cities might have)

Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 PM

372 posts, read 450,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Feels larger than their population suggests:

Louisville
Baltimore
Seattle
New Orleans feels significantly larger, really surprised how small it is.
Nashville
Providence
Pittsburgh feels significantly larger
Kansas City
Des Moines
Asheville

Feels smaller than their population suggests:

Tampa feels significantly smaller
Cincinnati
Charlotte
St. Louis feels significantly smaller
Austin
San Antonio
Phoenix
Indianapolis
Virginia Beach, another surprise lol
I think New Orleans was poised to be like Houston is now. But Houston won out due to a lot of factors. I think if there was no Houston then all those people would be in New Orleans. Maybe that's just my thinking. New Orleans does feel way bigger than it actually is though and it was one of the top largest cities in the U.S. A rank that Houston now interestingly holds.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:19 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I think New Orleans was poised to be like Houston is now. But Houston won out due to a lot of factors. I think if there was no Houston then all those people would be in New Orleans. Maybe that's just my thinking. New Orleans does feel way bigger than it actually is though and it was one of the top largest cities in the U.S. A rank that Houston now interestingly holds.
But don't forget about Galveston...

Old 06-03-2015, 04:44 AM

103 posts, read 168,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
One word and one name.
Spoiler
Hurricane Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City