Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix vs. Atlanta
Phoenix 34 38.20%
Atlanta 55 61.80%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Oh great...more drama...never-ending. Phoenix and Atlanta are different with Atlanta having been established much earlier than Phoenix. I do not believe one is "better" than the other. It's all preferences specific to an individual. Having said that, Atlanta may offer more shopping experiences, but it is also a bigger metro than Phoenix, so that goes without saying. It certainly doesn't "destroy" Phoenix as that just sounds (and is) ridiculous, and it is not true. Furthermore, while Phoenix nightlife may be unheard of to you, many people are quite aware of the nightlife in Scottsdale (and the pool parties) and Tempe (as well as Phoenix). In addition, while Atlanta may be a hot spot and capital of sorts for hip/hop, r&b, among other genres which may be reflected in those types of nightlife spots, that stuff is not my cup of tea and will likely never be, so it again comes down to preferences.

I think after having read many of your posts over time, it safe to come to the conclusion that you're just not a fan of Phoenix (and that's fine), so there's no reason in beating it into the ground. I understand that Atlanta takes a beating here too on CD, but there's no reason in trying to defend it by attempting to compare it to Phoenix (in an attempt to make Atlanta look better) when the cities are just different from each other.

Final thought for those who continuously attempt to badmouth cities based upon your belief that they lack in urban qualities and features. If the cities you live in are so urban, great, exciting, "diverse", "cultural", etc...why are you wasting away on your computers trashing others cities while you live in these urban paradises? Why aren't you out there enjoying them?

I don't even talk about Phoenix much....this is like the first time in I don't know how long so I don't know where you came to the conclusion that I'm continuously bashing Phoenix.

I'm actually neutral towards the city, but some of the posts in here are ridiculous so I felt the need to say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
What exactly is your point? I hate when people make me waste my time like this.

What I posted was the following: "In addition, while Atlanta may be a hot spot and capital of sorts for hip/hop, r&b, among other genres which may be reflected in those types of nightlife spots, that stuff is not my cup of tea and will likely never be, so it again comes down to preferences.

So again, what did I ONLY mention?
Ok dude whatever.Its not worth arguing about but its your wording,If you dont see it then fine.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I wouldn't go that far, Arizona like a lot of the west has a different version of Republican that leaves the social aspects behind. As for the bills you put up, they were nationally embarrassing to say the least, but the issue stems from a very expensive issue we face as a border state.

As for 1062, it didn't pass.

Georgia Senate Passes Sweeping Antigay 'Religious Freedom' Bill | Advocate.com

This did.
One house but no it did not.Not to mention Georgia has not ever been boycotted.
Arizona has a history dating back to the national embarrassment around the Martin Luther King Holiday.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok dude whatever.Its not worth arguing about but its your wording,If you dont see it then fine.
You're right. It's not worth arguing about which is why I do not understand why you tried going all psychic on me (attempting to "read between the lines") when what I wrote was clear as day. Later.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
You're right. It's not worth arguing about which is why I do not understand why you tried going all psychic on me (attempting to "read between the lines") when what I wrote was clear as day. Later.
If I thought it was clear then I would not have mentioned it.
You ONLY said "hip hop and R and B" but fail to mention what "other genres".If you say those two and then say" other genres" but dont mention any others then why would people not assume you mean that it mainly caters to black people?That is not stretching at all.Its taking what you say based on what you did not say even if it was indirectly.
Otherwise you would have said something like :"hip hop,Rand B and other genres like Country,EDM etc.,"
Had you said that I would have been cool with it.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Phoenix is like some science fiction civilization arising on some other planet. And on a super hot dry day in early summer, it might even feel like another planet. 113 degrees at 4% is pretty awesome in terms of such intense desert energy. In fact it kind of feels good for a short bit, going from a cold restaurant to your car.

Phoenix doesn't have as much history as Atlanta, but I actually like that about here. There isn't all that pride and deep heritage here. Just plenty of sunshine, palm trees, and one immaculate rock-landscaped strip-mall after another. And when it finally stretches so far, they just build more freeway here. See we have great public transportation, you won't find a toll road in the entire valley. The organism of Phoenix just keeps on growing.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I love the Sororan Desert scenery that surrounds the Valley of the Sun. The saguaros, ocotillos, palo verdes, date palms, just a lot of nice and unique vegetation. There are mountain ranges scattered all over the valley. The sunrises and sunsets are absolutely epic in Phoenix.

Atlanta is a fine city with a lot of attractive attributes (and one of my favorite panoramic skylines). But the endless tree canopy doesn't really do much for me. It makes the neighborhoods attractive, I get that. But I like to see the desert sky with more open horizons. The energy can't be explained, but there are just moments when you see the sky and landscapes around Phoenix, its just a kind of magic that can't be put into words. They are brief moments of induced euphoria and optimism. It really is a very beautiful area.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I love the Sororan Desert scenery that surrounds the Valley of the Sun. The saguaros, ocotillos, palo verdes, date palms, just a lot of nice and unique vegetation. There are mountain ranges scattered all over the valley. The sunrises and sunsets are absolutely epic in Phoenix.

Atlanta is a fine city with a lot of attractive attributes (and one of my favorite panoramic skylines). But the endless tree canopy doesn't really do much for me. It makes the neighborhoods attractive, I get that. But I like to see the desert sky with more open horizons. The energy can't be explained, but there are just moments when you see the sky and landscapes around Phoenix, its just a kind of magic that can't be put into words. They are brief moments of induced euphoria and optimism. It really is a very beautiful area.
I agree.but I se beauty in both places just different.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:

Spot on, with the exception of your feelings about our tree canopy.

I know what you mean, though. One of the things I love about the Southwest is the fact that you can see to the horizon in so many places. But, I feel our lush forest setting here to be cozy and intimate - if that makes sense.

Both places are great, but could not be more different. Some of the ignorance displayed here towards Phoenix is just ridiculous, though. As usual, some are spouting off that have obviously never been and are parroting old, tired clichés.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:47 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:

Wow. Every once in a while, through all the useless, defensive banter from a few posters, someone will post an enticing description of a city that really piques my interest.

I've been to Phoenix once...very briefly on my way to L.A, my 2nd home. Maybe I should give it more of a lengthy visit to see things from your perspective. Sounds quite beautiful. I'm an admitted sucker for "magic that can't be put into words".

+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City