Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Minneapolis
Pittsburgh 81 42.19%
Mineeapolis 95 49.48%
Both pretty much the same 16 8.33%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:06 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My daughter lives in Minneapolis, and she tells me people really do hibernate in the winter. And it makes sense. Most places, if you go ice skating, cross-country skiing, etc once or twice, you've probably done more than most of your neighbors.
THIS has to be silliest comments I've read on this thread. I will play along though... how would your daughter know about what people do during the winter months if she doesn't go out? It's freakin cold mid-December to February. I and many friends are very active during those months, whether it skiing, cross-country skiing, going to bars, going to sporting events (Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves, Gopher (hockey and basketball), concerts, etc... Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:42 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
For the winter activity argument, nobody is saying winter is more active than summer, or super active outside in comparison to the rest of the year, just that it's far more active than just about any other cold-weather city in the country.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:45 PM

Let me add that there is nothing wrong with Pittsburgh (or Minneapolis), and both cities are actually very much equal in many regards, if not most importantly that both are severely underrated and under-appreciated, but some cities have their strengths that are somewhat undeniable. If city A is very strong in one regard, that does not necessarily make city B a slouch. I think people are getting confused about this.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Let me add that there is nothing wrong with Pittsburgh (or Minneapolis), and both cities are actually very much equal in many regards, if not most importantly that both are severely underrated and under-appreciated, but some cities have their strengths that are somewhat undeniable. If city A is very strong in one regard, that does not necessarily make city B a slouch. I think people are getting confused about this.
Yeah. I also think it's a CD thing where one has to "completely crush the other" or can do no wrong because that's their hometown/city they live in. Or people just get caught up in stats and use it as undeniable proof of how great a place is for everybody.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 PM

214 posts, read 300,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
THIS has to be silliest comments I've read on this thread. I will play along though... how would your daughter know about what people do during the winter months if she doesn't go out? It's freakin cold mid-December to February. I and many friends are very active during those months, whether it skiing, cross-country skiing, going to bars, going to sporting events (Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves, Gopher (hockey and basketball), concerts, etc... Nice try though.
She offered some good laughs though.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My daughter lives in Minneapolis, and she tells me people really do hibernate in the winter. And it makes sense. Most places, if you go ice skating, cross-country skiing, etc once or twice, you've probably done more than most of your neighbors.
Yup and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise, its the truth...

People are by far indoors way more than they are compared to the warmer months... yes there is skiing which is actually really popular, people where i live will literally go multiple times a week... but that is about it... vs summer i can go outside tanning, going for walks, camping, at the beach, grilling and just going out more in general.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
For the winter activity argument, nobody is saying winter is more active than summer, or super active outside in comparison to the rest of the year, just that it's far more active than just about any other cold-weather city in the country.
I don't think Minneapolis is any more or less active in winter than Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I don't think Minneapolis is any more or less active in winter than Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit.
Well I do. Nobody in those cities skates outside, for instance, because it's not easily possible and not nearly as widespread and accessible in those places. Skiing is also not as embraced in those places -- cross-country or alpine. People in general are not as connected with outdoor activities and sports because snow and ice, while prevalent, is not guaranteed like it can be in the Twin Cities, so it's harder to organize and plan recreational activities around them. Having lived in Chicago and Cleveland, with relatives in Detroit and Madison, I can tell a major difference between those cities and the Twin Cities. It's significant enough in my eyes to make me yearn to be back in the Twin Cities to be able to participate in outdoor recreation in the winter time. Winter without recreation is a lot worse!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I would disagree. When it comes to Nordic skiing specifically, the Milwaukee metro area has 150.4 kilometers of ski trails (and that's being generous, as I included a large number of trails outside the metro). I could not get any data for Detroit, and the limited information that I got for Chicago listed only 26.5 kilometers of ski trails. However, Des Moines has 15 kilometers (also being generous), and Madison (being generous again) has 88.6 kilometers. Minneapolis-St. Paul, on the other hand, has 559.7 kilometers when being restrictive and only using the urban area, and has 776.5 kilometers when being generous, yet still only including the metro, unlike with the others.

That's quite the difference, and the MSP area wouldn't be able to keep those numbers if it didn't have a population to support it.

Recap:

Minneapolis - St. Paul: 776.5 kilometers (metro only)

Milwaukee: 150.4 kilometers (beyond metro)

Madison: 88.6 kilometers (beyond metro)

Chicago: 26.5 kilometers (limited/incomplete data)

Des Moines: 15 kilometers (beyond metro)

Detroit: No data

Source: Skinnyski.com: Trails - Ski Trails

Edit: If I were to be generous and go beyond metro boundaries for the Twin Cities, the total would be about 915.9 kilometers.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Well I do. Nobody in those cities skates outside, for instance, because it's not easily possible and not nearly as widespread and accessible in those places. Skiing is also not as embraced in those places -- cross-country or alpine. People in general are not as connected with outdoor activities and sports because snow and ice, while prevalent, is not guaranteed like it can be in the Twin Cities, so it's harder to organize and plan recreational activities around them. Having lived in Chicago and Cleveland, with relatives in Detroit and Madison, I can tell a major difference between those cities and the Twin Cities. It's significant enough in my eyes to make me yearn to be back in the Twin Cities to be able to participate in outdoor recreation in the winter time. Winter without recreation is a lot worse!
I think you're right that in Chicago you have to try more to be active during the winter since there are so many more people and buildings and more density everywhere and less directly adjacent nature, but there are definitely options for skating and skiing and running and biking during the winter in Chicago. I even saw people ice skating on the beach last year! And the city does a great job keeping the running trails free during the winter, which is my favorite time of year for running.

I disagree about Madison, though. There are tons of options for winter recreation there, and people are very active there during the winter.

I any event, my vote was for Mpls, but I can see how someone would choose Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 07-02-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City