Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Minneapolis
Pittsburgh 81 42.19%
Mineeapolis 95 49.48%
Both pretty much the same 16 8.33%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Well I guess we didn't cross paths (or maybe we did) but I just spent eight days vacationing in MSP.
Glad to hear it! I hope you had a wonderful time, but you are still in a very tiny minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Glad to hear it! I hope you had a wonderful time, but you are still in a very tiny minority.
I did! Great impressions of the city…I wouldn't mind spending more summers there in the future

Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I doubt that you really found all of that randomly, but much of it is bombed-out ghetto. And yes, there's plenty of bombed-out ghetto in Pittsburgh. But it's in better shape, overall, than most old American cities.
Look, I don't understand what all of the defensiveness is about here. I have no problem admitting that Boston, NYC, DC, San Francisco, and pretty much every city in Europe trump Pittsburgh when it comes to urban architecture and classic "city" feel. And Pittsburgh trumps Minneapolis in this regard. Most Americans don't want to live in cities anyway, so I don't know why you're worried about it.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I see street views from Allentown, Fineview, Hazelwood, Lincoln-Lemington and Arlington, and two street views from the Hill District. With the exception of Fineview, you "randomly" picked five ghetto neighborhoods. Not only that, but the street views from Fineview, Hazelwood and Arlington were located on or adjacent to steep hills, which continue to depopulate because they're a complete pain in the ass to get to or from, and also because they present a landslide hazard. Development was never practical on them in the first place because they're actually escarpments, which are geologically unstable.

Whatever blight there is in the East End of Pittsburgh is quickly being erased. The lower Hill District is being redeveloped, and Garfield and Larimer are on the bleeding edge of gentrification. And there are huge plans to redevelop an old brownfield in Hazelwood. It's possible that the only blighted areas in the East End 10 years from now will be Lincoln-Lemington and Homewood, plus a small slice of the upper Hill District that's not easily accessible by car or transit. And gentrification has sped up on the North Side as well, spreading out from the Central North Side to Deutschtown, Manchester and Allegheny West.

Even a couple of the South Hills neighborhoods like Brookline, Beechview and Carrick seem to have some interesting things going on, though the change there is more gradual and doesn't involve developers throwing lots of money around. The only quadrant of the city that seems to be declining across the board with no end in sight is the West End.
Just out of curiosity, I'll try and do ten random streetviews of Pittsburgh. Since I know the city too well, I'll use MapCrunch to find them.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

Few of my favorite areas showed up, but only a few pics are of actual blight.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:35 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Just out of curiosity, I'll try and do ten random streetviews of Pittsburgh. Since I know the city too well, I'll use MapCrunch to find them.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

Few of my favorite areas showed up, but only a few pics are of actual blight.
It did come up with some weird areas, though. That last one from Stinkin looks like flat-out wilderness. I haven't been in that area for a long time, it's reaaalllly bottomed out.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:07 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Zoomed in a little closer to Downtown. The former zoom was far enough out I kept getting a lot of locations in suburban municipalities I needed to filter out. Here's ten more.

One
Two
Three (ironically, almost identical to a streetview upthread)
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

Old 06-22-2015, 04:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Two advantages that neighborhoods in Minneapolis have over neighborhoods in Pittsburgh:

1. Not as much uglification by power lines.
2. Not as much tacky "remuddling" of houses.

Pittsburgh needs to start burying or hiding power lines, because they make otherwise decent neighborhoods look kind of ugly, and they also disrupt what would otherwise be nice views. A lot of houses are also covered with either insulbrick or aluminum siding, and have windows that don't fit the way they're supposed to. Bonus points if the windows have permanent aluminum awnings over them. Mid-20th-Century remodeling efforts have not aged gracefully at all, so I'd like to see more houses restored to their original state.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 4,956 times
Based on the criteria - Minneapolis

Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Two advantages that neighborhoods in Minneapolis have over neighborhoods in Pittsburgh:

1. Not as much uglification by power lines.
2. Not as much tacky "remuddling" of houses.

Pittsburgh needs to start burying or hiding power lines, because they make otherwise decent neighborhoods look kind of ugly, and they also disrupt what would otherwise be nice views. A lot of houses are also covered with either insulbrick or aluminum siding, and have windows that don't fit the way they're supposed to. Bonus points if the windows have permanent aluminum awnings over them. Mid-20th-Century remodeling efforts have not aged gracefully at all, so I'd like to see more houses restored to their original state.
1. Part of the burgh's charm.
2. Probably not going to happen without a huge influx of cash. Seems a lot of the pro-Pittsburgh yuppie types trying to call the city utopia are looking to get downtown or upscale already.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 PM

591 posts, read 781,729 times
it seems like you will find more historic buildings in Pittsburgh. both have great urban pockets but Pittsburgh seems to have a more dense and bustling downtown. Pittsburgh will also have more interesting terrain. houses on the hills and such. i would go with Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City