Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Minneapolis
Pittsburgh 81 42.19%
Mineeapolis 95 49.48%
Both pretty much the same 16 8.33%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So what? Winter sucks. Unless you're a little kid, maybe. When we were kids we used to ride sleds down hills like this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4805...Wve5w3clIw!2e0
Where can kids sled ride in some flat place?
that park looks real nice for the kiddies to go sledding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:57 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
First of all, if you're going to mock people for making unenlightened "arguements," you should at least learn how to spell the word. Second of all, yes, that is miserable, and I would not want to live in a place that is that cold, I don't care what else goes on there.
An unenlightened argument is pointing out a typo as your first point.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:57 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
So then you feel a thread, Pittsburgh vs. MSP only needs to be decided by which one is colder in January? Lets start a thread comparing your town of Pittsburgh to Jackson MS. Clearly based on your logic Jackson ought to win hands down.

No I"m pretty sure all of this is in response to a few Minneapolis homers stating that their winter is no worse, or is even better. that is what kicked this argument off, which is why it has been so concentrated on winter weather. From most people's perspective, it's an absurd statement.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
So what? Winter sucks. Unless you're a little kid, maybe. When we were kids we used to ride sleds down hills like this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4805...Wve5w3clIw!2e0
Where can kids sled ride in some flat place?
My point exactly. Perhaps you aren't aware that adults can enjoy winter because you live in Pittsburgh.

And, unless you were sledding down hills taller than 10 story buildings, there is no difference between sledding in Pittsburgh and the Twin Cities. I somehow managed to go sledding where I grew up, just not on streets toward four way intersections.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
I'm sure that many southerners would say that they could never live in Pittsburgh because it's too cold. And I see their point. I can't stand Pittsburgh winters. But I like old-school city neighborhoods, which don't exist in many warm-weather places in the U.S. Minneapolis not only has even worse winters than Pittsburgh does, but it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of old-school city neighborhoods, either. So I wouldn't want to live there. And that's that.
I don't live in Pittsburgh but I know the town pretty well, having played bar band gigs in some of the local clubs. And fat lou is right. The Burgh has some great old school neighborhoods. Now I've never been to Minneapolis but I have scanned a lot of the city with the street view and I haven't been able to find any neighborhoods comparable to the Southside Flats, Oakland, East Liberty, etc. I've seen lots of very attractive neighborhoods but nothing I would consider "old school" by Eastern standards. Inner ring suburb maybe. Nothing wrong with that. But this is just one strong reason why some of us would prefer the Burgh.

Last edited by r small; 06-12-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:31 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
There's nothing wrong with "preferring the Burgh", and you're likely not going to find a bunch of neighborhoods with row homes and such in the Twin Cities. You're unlikely to find them out of the North East in general. Perhaps I don't know what is defined by "Old School" by eastern standards. The Twin Cities emerged in the industrial revolution like all of the major cities of the time. If by "Old School" you mean older neighborhoods with character and unique architecture then I would say you're misinformed. The Twin Cities are full of character.

Just as the Pittsburgh contingent on here gets up in arms when people make assumptions about their city without actually experiencing it. It would seem wise they be objective and give the same courtesy to others.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I don't live in Pittsburgh but I know the town pretty well, having played bar band gigs in some of the local clubs. And fat lou is right. The Burgh has some great old school neighborhoods. Now I've never been to Minneapolis but I have scanned a lot of the city with the street view and I haven't been able to find any neighborhoods comparable to the Southside Flats, Oakland, East Liberty, etc. I've seen lots of very attractive neighborhoods but nothing I would consider "old school" by Eastern standards. Inner ring suburb maybe. Nothing wrong with that. But this is just one strong reason why some of us would prefer the Burgh.
You're definitely right. Pittsburgh is much holder than Minneapolis, bilt out during a different era, and thus it has more "old school" (if that's your definition of the term - since it differs) neighborhoods than Minneapolis. Minneapolis is not a row house city like Pittsburgh. Minneapolis has I believe one true row house: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9648...R3DzwZxZoA!2e0

However, Minneapolis and St. Paul both have some old neighborhoods that compare to parts of Pittsburgh's, just no row houses.

Stevens Square, Minneapolis:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9639...jbSB8ewkWA!2e0

Summit Hill, St. Paul:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9473...6blssVJdFg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9399...dmKbh1_3bg!2e0

Last edited by Bslette; 06-12-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
1. That sledding quote was hilarious. Considering his posts and screen name and the fact that the "hill" was a city road, I refuse to believe that this is a serious poster.

2. For the vast majority of people, 10 degrees warmer in winter, even (and often especially) if it means the snow melts a good bit more, is a vast improvement when you're talking northern weather. However, like mjlo has stated, anyone who slam-dunks Pitt over Minny due to "climate" is being ridiculous.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
1. That sledding quote was hilarious. Considering his posts and screen name and the fact that the "hill" was a city road, I refuse to believe that this is a serious poster....
I think it's obvious that Lou is a Minneapolis poster that is trying to denigrate Pitt by finding the most dumpy regions in Pitts and posting them as shining examples of "old-school" housing and neighborhoods.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:25 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think it's obvious that Lou is a Minneapolis poster that is trying to denigrate Pitt by finding the most dumpy regions in Pitts and posting them as shining examples of "old-school" housing and neighborhoods.
The neighborhood he linked to is actually rapidly gentrifying. Houses sell for $400,000 within a few blocks of there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City