Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Minneapolis
Pittsburgh 81 42.19%
Mineeapolis 95 49.48%
Both pretty much the same 16 8.33%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:06 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,167,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Front yards are pretty useless. They need to be maintained, but typically are too public for most people to socialize in. If the house is pushed closer to the street, you have a much larger rear yard, where you do all your socializing anyway.
That's highly cultural. In much of the urban midwest and west front porch and front yard culture is the de facto setting for 90% of neighborhood socialization. Backyards are mostly high-fenced areas for dogs, cars, sunbathing teenage girls, gardens and all the accumulated detritus of a life you don't have garage space for. Front yards are where people drink, sit out, read, light chimineas, where kids play and run, etc. I have lived in 4 different urban and streetcar suburban neighborhoods in KC, plus similar built environment neighborhoods in Eugene, OR and Lawrence, KS and cannot remember but maybe 10 total evenings/social events staged in a backyard. Even the "backyard BBQ" is more often then not cooked in the back and served somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:57 PM

214 posts, read 300,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I think if you are not even willing to give weather and scenery to Pittsburgh, your opinion must be taken with a pint of salt. And your reasons don't sound very convincing -- "Pittsburgh has the same seasons we do with very little difference annually." Hmm... so that means that MPLS has better weather? You are obviously extremely biased.
How am I biased? I can simply read charts and graphs.

Pittsburgh does not have better weather than Minneapolis. The Winter there runs about 10° degrees warmer... Hardly better by any means. I was surprised at how similar the climates are in these 2 cities.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Old 06-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
If you are going to make a ridiculous homer post, maybe you should do some actual research yourself if you want to be taken somewhat seriously next time.
Grow up

Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Yeah, even if Minny is denser, Pittsburgh's downtown and neighborhoods still have more of that urban look.
How so? Minneapolis has a more appealing and dense CBD.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
How am I biased? I can simply read charts and graphs.

Pittsburgh does not have better weather than Minneapolis. The Winter there runs about 10° degrees warmer... Hardly better by any means. I was surprised at how similar the climates are in these 2 cities.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States
Average 10 degree difference is pretty significant. Even if you disagree, how on earth can you give the edge on weather to MPLS? "We are only 10 degrees colder so we have better weather"?? Bizarre logic.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
35 degrees is a lot more tolerable than 25 degrees. A little above freezing vs. 7 degrees below? Big difference.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
A 10 degree average temp difference in winter is large. I don't know how someone could think 10 degrees warmer is hardly better by any means. Especially when that 10 degrees difference means one city is avg above freezing and the other is avg below freezing.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
35 degrees is a lot more tolerable than 25 degrees. A little above freezing vs. 7 degrees below? Big difference.
Hardly. It's still cold. It's not like we are comparing California here. Being slightly above freezing, for a high, is not that significantly different than having a high below it.

Further, Pittsburgh is not on the same level as Minneapolis-St. Paul. Our urban core has a population of about 700k with a metro of 3.5M compared to 2.3 for Pittsburgh who is losing net population. In the past Pittsburgh may have had more importance but that is no longer the case.

MSP is in a class with cities like Seattle, Denver, and Portland.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Hardly. It's still cold. It's not like we are comparing California here. Being slightly above freezing, for a high, is not that significantly different than having a high below it.

Further, Pittsburgh is not on the same level as Minneapolis-St. Paul. Our urban core has a population of about 700k with a metro of 3.5M compared to 2.3 for Pittsburgh who is losing net population. In the past Pittsburgh may have had more importance but that is no longer the case.

MSP is in a class with cities like Seattle, Denver, and Portland.
I live in the mid-Atlantic region (DC area) where the winters are moderately cold. I hike and bike and play Frisbee golf year round. And I can assure you that there is a significant difference in feel between mid thirties and mid twenties. Mid thirties is decent outdoors weather. Lots of people out and about. Mid twenties is bitter cold. Very few people get out. Maybe we're just soft here in the east. But I'll take Pittsburgh winters over Minneapolis hands down.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times
The biggest difference is average low. Pittsburgh is 21 F at her coldest, which is not too far from Minneapolis' average high. OTOH, Minneapolis averages 7F for average low. That's a 14F difference.

30s is still cold, but 10F makes a difference, Pittsburgh has better weather and there is no question about it. The only thing that Minneapolis has going for it is that it's relatively sunny (compared to Pittsburgh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City