Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times

Advertisements

I think it comes down to this. Heavily auto-centric cities are going to be perceived as the most boring. If you are a tourist, you aren't going to know where the fun places are and in an auto-centric environment, they are difficult to just happen upon. It's difficult to just leave your hotel and go exploring if you don't know where you are going. In a compact, walkable enivironment, most if not everything you could want is easy to find and is very accessible, making it a lot easier to have an enjoyable time in that city. You can leave your hotel and go exploring and will certainly discover cool and interesting things.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
On another thread Los Angeles was mentioned as a disappointing place for tourists. Of course, LA has a reputation as being auto-centric.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
I've never had a boring moment in Baltimore. Honestly one of the realist cities in the U.S. and not afraid to show its real side. There's a little bit of everything here in Baltimore
A little bit of everything that sums of Baltimore pretty well lol

Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM

NYC is a def a really fun city to visit same with New Orleans, Chicago, LA, SF, Vegas, Boston I love visiting those cities they have a little bit of everything lol Most boring city I ever been to is Wichita KS sorry people from Wichita lol

Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
Wichita (i just came from there last week..4 of the most miserable days of my life)
You and UKWildcat (just now) I think are the only other two to mention Wichita as most boring, which leads me to believe that either 1. People don't consider it a "city" or 2. No one else has been there. The worst. Haven't seen another city (that I've been to) listed so far that comes close to out-boring Wichita. And I've been around...generally I agree that "there are only boring people," but...I'm not sure what fun can be had there for a week that couldn't be had out in a field.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You and UKWildcat (just now) I think are the only other two to mention Wichita as most boring, which leads me to believe that either 1. People don't consider it a "city" or 2. No one else has been there. The worst. Haven't seen another city (that I've been to) listed so far that comes close to out-boring Wichita. And I've been around...generally I agree that "there are only boring people," but...I'm not sure what fun can be had there for a week that couldn't be had out in a field.
Just had some bad experiences in that city and it can be boring, not a fan doesn't mean it is not a fine city lol

Old 06-19-2015, 12:31 PM

309 posts, read 307,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The two people that said it's boring likely said so because it is LOL. I live two and a half hours away, and every time I'm there, that's one constant that I hear from several locals. If I don't hear it then, then it's often when they drive up I-35 to escape to my location, which is, ironically, was brought up in the "most boring" category...

Seems like a great place to lay down and plant roots at a REALLY cheap price, but not much else outside of that seems to appealing. However, I'm actually kinda jealous of the artwork etched into the Kellogg Expressway retaining walls and the shiny new airport terminal.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
I've never been to Wichita but I've heard the Old Town area is nice. You have to remember there are only a little over a half million people in the Wichita metro area so the town has to be evaluated with that in mind. It can't possibly compare to a major city in terms of entertainment options.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:26 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
The two people that said it's boring likely said so because it is LOL. I live two and a half hours away, and every time I'm there, that's one constant that I hear from several locals. If I don't hear it then, then it's often when they drive up I-35 to escape to my location, which is, ironically, was brought up in the "most boring" category...

Seems like a great place to lay down and plant roots at a REALLY cheap price, but not much else outside of that seems to appealing. However, I'm actually kinda jealous of the artwork etched into the Kellogg Expressway retaining walls and the shiny new airport terminal.
I think you missed my point - I listed it as my "boring" city near the beginning, and was surprised that no one else hit on it until now. So yeah, I'm in agreement!

I realize it's a bit small, but compare it to comparable cities and you'll come to the same conclusion. Old Town seemed like a fairly typical "old town" area of a lot of cities, and was more of a whitewashed pub area than anything historical or cultural or whatever. I mean, every city has bars...though it's been some years now, hopefully Wichita is more fun now.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 AM

625 posts, read 623,996 times
Most fun:
New York City
San Francisco
every city I've been to in Europe
DC Metro area

Most boring:
anywhere in "middle" American (Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska -- yikes! Any/all of it!) … large cities in Texas (Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) are exceptions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City