Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I gotta ask what are people looking for when they visit cities? Are they seeing the sites? The hotel bar sucks? Or just going to a city to go bar hopping?
For me, not necessarily in any particular order:

1) An active pedestrian environment beyond downtown and beyond business hours. Active streets.
2) Visually stimulating. Mostly this refers to architecture, but also topography (e.g. San Francisco Bay and hills).
3) Good/varied dining options. I don't want to feel forced to eat in the hotel or at a national chain.
4) Good bar scene. Preferably a variety of options clustered together. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bar/club district- a nice neighborhood center with a few different places is fine. I don't need a 4am last call, but I like to be able to easily find a place to get a drink (and maybe some light food) after 9/10pm.
5) Interesting cultural institutions. Specifically, museums and galleries.
6) Neat, active public spaces (parks, plazas, harbor/river walks, etc) with good programming (well designed- bonus for live music, beer gardens, art displays, etc).
7) Landmarks or major points of interest. I don't need a major tourist attraction, but it's nice to have a unique landmark or point of interest that says, "you are here!" This isn't as important as the others on this list.
8) A major festival or series of public events is always a plus (but not necessary as timing also plays a big role in this)
9) Something culturally unique about the city. This could be combined with almost any other part of the list. Live music, a festival, or great restaurants of a certain type of cuisine, etc. But definitely something that's unique to the city.
10) Interesting local people. This is definitely wide open. I like visiting places where the people, or at least aspects of their lifestyle, are unlike anywhere else.

That's what I look for when I travel. I left off "diversity" on purpose. Yes, it's great to walk through the Boston Common, Millenium Park, Times Square or Fisherman's Wharf and hear dozens of languages and seeing all types of different people. However, some cities that aren't as diverse do still have a unique local (albeit homogeneous) culture. Tokyo is an excellent example of this for a major city.

Last edited by lrfox; 06-24-2015 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
^^^
That pretty well covers and defines it for me.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 PM

636 posts, read 611,750 times
Don't know if I could give a single answer for most fun so I'd say LA, NY, SF, New Orleans, Miami, and Chi for most fun and KC or the Nati for most boring. Predictably lopsided.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Fun: Baltimore
Boring: I am never bored

Old 06-27-2015, 06:43 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Indianapolis is easily the most boring major city I've ever seen. Only been there once, and trust me, that was enough. The airport is beautiful, though, go figure...

I've had the most fun of my life in DC and Syracuse. I wouldn't put Syracuse on a level with DC, but I love that city. Baltimore wasn't boring, but definitely is underwhelming considering its size and reputation. Same thing with Norfolk, I've never been bored there, but it is a little overrated. Same thing with Atlanta. Coming from Metro DC, I saw nothing extraordinarily impressive about Atlanta, although I do get its appeal....

Memphis....I've had a lot of fun there, and yet it just really isn't an impressive city. Nashville is, though. I had tons of fun in Charlotte. Raleigh and Durham as well, but they aren't special. Kansas City was kinda whack. LA was awesome. I really was not impressed with Dallas at all...

Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 PM

289 posts, read 776,267 times
Most Fun: New York

Most Boring: Oklahoma City

Old 06-29-2015, 03:52 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
I had a lot of fun in Amsterdam, Hamburg, and Berlin. San Francisco is always a blast.

Frankfurt was pretty boring, like Fresno or Louisville.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:33 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Most Fun:
New York
New Orleans
Chicago
DC

Not Quite As Fun: Any city is going to have something to do and if you are bored it is most likely your own fault. That being said, in some places you have to look harder to find the fun:
Raleigh
St. Louis
Kansas City

Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM

99 posts, read 116,991 times
There is no dearth of boring places so I will just list the places where I had a lot of fun:-

1. NYC
2. Atlanta
3. LA
4. Miami
5. SF

Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 PM

78 posts, read 131,705 times
From my experiences..

NYC and Atlanta are the most fun places..

LA and Houston are the most boring places..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City