Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 02:28 PM

72 posts, read 63,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So, when is the zoning code going to be changed to allow all this development you speak of? The current FAR across most of the city is way below what DC's neighborhoods can build. Are they updating the zoning code to allow buildings to take up a larger percentage of their lots with zero set back in the front and on the sides? Will they be able to rise over 6 stories? You keep talking about individual neighborhoods. That doesn't form an uninterrupted core like DC is building. LA needs to rezone their industrial/manufacturing zones southeast of downtown if they want to even get into the competition.

Before responding again, please check your own zoning code and educate yourself on the topic so you can actually participate in the discussion.

LA doesnt need to redeveop the SE part of downtown to get in the compteition.
How many residents live in downtown Dc right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 02:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyK1 View Post
LA doesnt need to redeveop the SE part of downtown to get in the compteition.
How many residents live in downtown Dc right now?
What do residents have to do with buildings? Residents have to do with the type of buildings. Urban building design has to do with the building specifications and the zoning. Things like FAR and setbacks. People don't live in office buildings or hotels. They only live in residential buildings which by the way aren't even urban if they don't fit the criteria mentioned themselves. I'm only going to discuss this from an industry standpoint. I'm not going to discuss this from the perspective of the other posters in this thread.

I look at building designs every day and our architects have to follow strict specifications based on the zoning for the building I'm trying to build in the city. I mainly build mixed income residential buildings and they are built with very strict urban design specifications even if it's more expensive to do so.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 PM

Using your standards, I'm sure Chicago as a whole is less urban than DC.

But for anyone who's ACTUALLY BEEN TO BOTH CITIES, it's clear what is more urban.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Speaking of troll, why aren't you responding with your other account early90sbaby? ah you only use that account to troll DC boosters because your a habitual DC hater

look whose talking troll
The only one with multiple accounts is you Durf. So you do admit that you are a Philly hater/troll?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Using your standards, I'm sure Chicago as a whole is less urban than DC.

But for anyone who's ACTUALLY BEEN TO BOTH CITIES, it's clear what is more urban.
No, Chicago's core is very large actually. I stated that already. Draw a boundary around Chicago's to see for yourself. LA's downtown is urban, however, the other neighborhoods you keep bringing up don't all make one uninterrupted urban core. That's the problem with the comparison. The street widths also don't help LA when it comes to the FAR they permit. The building should never be shorter than the width of the street if possible. That's fundamental in urban design.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, Chicago's core is very large actually. I stated that already. Draw a boundary around Chicago's to see for yourself. LA's downtown is urban, however, the other neighborhoods you keep bringing up don't all make one uninterrupted urban core. That's the problem with the comparison. The street widths also don't help LA when it comes to the FAR they permit. The building should never be shorter than the width of the street if possible. That's fundamental in urban design.
You never listen.

I said as a whole, Chicago would be less, mostly because of it's bungalow neighborhoods.
But it would still be more urban than DC's outer neighborhoods.

I lived in Chicago for ten years. I dont have to draw anything. I know way more about it than you.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
This is supposed to be "outside the top 5". I'm not sure how Seattle or even LA would be ahead of Philadelphia.
I dont think so either. At least not in regards to urban fabric.

South Philly

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mhoffm...597850/sizes/l

Queen Village
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/...42a5642c_b.jpg

Walnut Street

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/3...98e4049d_b.jpg

Last edited by rainrock; 07-31-2016 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You never listen.

I said as a whole, Chicago would be less, mostly because of it's bungalow neighborhoods.
But it would still be more urban than DC's outer neighborhoods.

I lived in Chicago for ten years. I dont have to draw anything. I know way more about it than you.
But you clearly don't know much about construction, urban design, or zoning codes. The urban core of DC is growing faster than all the other urban cities out of necessity because we can't build up. If other cities in America had the same restrictions, they too would have to build up in low density neighborhoods like DC is doing.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I wonder if LA's urban core or DC is adding more units right now (both adaptive reuse and new construction). I know DC's height limits exert a lot of pressure to build up while LA's urban core's pressures come from a lack of supply compared to overall demand as well as massive foreign direct investment. LA's certainly going to have more high rises because of those height limits in DC, but does anyone have a count on which is actually adding more total units?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
How many multi-family units are actually U/C in DC at this moment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City