Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 01:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Philly is great, don't be a hater
there is nothing great about Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 01:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
there is nothing great about Philly
Yes there is

I say this as someone who's lived in New York my entire life

Old 07-31-2016, 01:36 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So, I decided to look at this from an actual factual basis versus the way most of you have been looking at this. Based on the zoning regulations, DC can actually build at a higher FAR than LA over a longer distance. Also, DC's front yard setback is zero almost everywhere and side yard setback is also zero almost everywhere which is not the case in LA. This explains why LA is built the way it is. Here are the zoning summary specifications for you guys to review.

DC Interactive Zoning Summary and Map (Click Definition)

DCOZ

LA Zoning Summary

http://www.planning.lacity.org/Housi...EAppendixE.pdf

LA Zoning Map

ZIMAS

Just a side note, DC has eliminated parking minimums in the downtown core zones and reduced them everywhere else. That puts DC in another league when it comes to urban lifestyle.

**Floor area ratio (FAR) is the ratio of a building's total floor area (gross floor area) to the size of the piece of land upon which it is built.**
LA kinda tries to follow DC's lead when it comes to "urban". I don't know what that means when discussing which city is currently more urban but because DC had a 20 year head start on rail so we're still probably 10-20 years behind when it comes to TOD and zoning. But you have to understand that the entire state of California is handicapped by a 1970's understanding of best environmental practices called CEQA. For LA that means parking minimums, setbacks, lower FAR, etc. As baby boomers become a smaller percentage and Millenials increase we'll see that change but we're not there yet. Give us another decade.

Edit to add that I'm gen x so neither boomer nor Millenial but we're a smaller generation and have to live in their worlds.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes there is

I say this as someone who's lived in New York my entire life
Don't worry he/her is a delusional and habitual Philly hater and troll. Nothing to see here.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Don't worry he/her is a delusional and habitual Philly hater and troll. Nothing to see here.
Speaking of troll, why aren't you responding with your other account early90sbaby? ah you only use that account to troll DC boosters because your a habitual DC hater

look whose talking troll

Old 07-31-2016, 01:51 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA kinda tries to follow DC's lead when it comes to "urban". I don't know what that means when discussing which city is currently more urban but because DC had a 20 year head start on rail so we're still probably 10-20 years behind when it comes to TOD and zoning. But you have to understand that the entire state of California is handicapped by a 1970's understanding of best environmental practices called CEQA. For LA that means parking minimums, setbacks, lower FAR, etc. As baby boomers become a smaller percentage and Millenials increase we'll see that change but we're not there yet. Give us another decade.

Edit to add that I'm gen x so neither boomer nor Millenial but we're a smaller generation and have to live in their worlds.
I've listened to planners, developers, environmentalists and informed citizens about various schemes and have come to recognize how everyone exploits CEQA for their own purposes, to either block or push a development (or non-development) plan. Because it's self-implemented there are "interpretations" to dispute, and that makes the years of jockeying sometimes pretty amusing.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:59 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

Yes, I'm aware. I was just trying to give people the data needed for such a debate and analysis. This really isn't subjective. A ranking of urban form for cities is actually quantifiable. It's amazing this thread has gone this far without discussing the very thing that makes any city urban which is the zoning code. It dictates the built environment and the lifestyle for every city.

The strides LA is making are incredible, but without a rewrite of the zoning code to allow a more intense urban form across the core, it will never catch DC's built environment. This is especially true as DC's urban core expands outward because of height limits. LA can't do that because their zoning doesn't allow it. DC can build up to 130 feet far from the city center with minimal parking only. DC has a goal to have a 75% share of commuters in the city commuting by means other than the automobile in 15 years from now when the city is projected to near 1 million people in 61 sq. miles.

This alone will allow a completely different lifestyle.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-31-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM

72 posts, read 63,725 times
Lol? Never catch up?
LA has far more potential than DC ever will.
What do you think is going to happen when space really runs out in it's denser neighborhoods? South Park is already adding a dozen or so 40-50 story rresidential highrises, with more to come. And there's still plenty of space there.
Koreatown, Hollywood, Century City are going to addmore 30-40 story highrises.
It's really just getting started infllling, and hasnt even come close to what it's going to be.
Do you have any idea what LA' housing shortage is?

LA already has the large commercial areas/blvds all over the city. DC doesn't. It is what it is.
LA just needs to add tons of housing to it's commerical streets. Which it will/is.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyK1 View Post
Lol? Never catch up?
LA has far more potential than DC ever will.
What do you think is going to happen when space really runs out in it's denser neighborhoods?
It's really just getting started infllling, and hasnt even come close to what it's going to be.
Do you have any idea what LA' housing shortage is?

LA already has the large commercial areas/blvds all over the city. DC doesn't. It is what it is.
LA just needs to add tons of housing to it's commerical streets. Which it will/is.
So, when is the zoning code going to be changed to allow all this development you speak of? The current FAR across most of the city is way below what DC's neighborhoods can build. Are they updating the zoning code to allow buildings to take up a larger percentage of their lots with zero set back in the front and on the sides? Will they be able to rise over 6 stories? You keep talking about individual neighborhoods. That doesn't form an uninterrupted core like DC is building. LA needs to rezone their industrial/manufacturing zones southeast of downtown if they want to even get into the competition.

Before responding again, please check your own zoning code and educate yourself on the topic so you can actually participate in the discussion.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:25 PM

72 posts, read 63,725 times
Hollywood just changed their zoning code a couple years ago. That's why's there's a far more highriises u/c and proposed than before.

They're changing the codes around the Orange Line in the SFV to allow more dense Tods.
Same for parts of south central and west LA near the expo line.

Yes, I expect them to rewrite the codes for certain areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City