Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 10:03 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
National Harbor is whackkkkkk. Just terrible. I’d rather just go to MGM which I like just for the food and architecture/patio spaces.

The wharf is cool-ish but I haven’t been in like a year and a half.

I wouldn’t say 7/8 is as sepearate as JC from Manhattan. I was a Suitlander who was there and in the other wards often. It felts pretty cohesive. Most of ward 7/8 is closer to downtown DC than NE Philly is to center city or Hyde Park is to Downtown Boston. The river isn’t much of a barrier IMO, the highways over the anacostia are more than adequate and are the least stressful part of a DC commute . Only the bridge into SW by the ballpark was ever really bottle back.
I don’t mean a barrier like hard to get to. I mean a barrier like people feel disconnected to the urban core so they don’t consider it an option when looking for housing options. Mainly middle class African American’s look to Ward 7 and Ward 8 as housing options similar to Prince George’s County. It’s what will make gentrification different for that part of the city. Other races would rather move to far NE and upper NW than cross the river into Ward 7 and 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 PM

21,649 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don’t mean a barrier like hard to get to. I mean a barrier like people feel disconnected to the urban core so they don’t consider it an option when looking for housing options. Mainly middle class African American’s look to Ward 7 and Ward 8 as housing options similar to Prince George’s County. It’s what will make gentrification different for that part of the city. Other races would rather move to far NE and upper NW than cross the river into Ward 7 and 8.

You think so? Folks seem excited about Anacostia in particular. I think the spaciousness and yards are gems. Especially deep in SE off Pennsylvania or Branch Ave. https://goo.gl/maps/YU6RuQyCio9xdwtV6 and https://goo.gl/maps/HJY6ujfmB6Yc7t7r9 it’s really attractive. Much more so than neighboring areas of PG

Old 01-02-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
You think so? Folks seem excited about Anacostia in particular. I think the spaciousness and yards are gems. Especially deep in SE off Pennsylvania or Branch Ave. https://goo.gl/maps/YU6RuQyCio9xdwtV6 and https://goo.gl/maps/HJY6ujfmB6Yc7t7r9 it’s really attractive. Much more so than neighboring areas of PG

Your first link is Hill Crest and your second link is Fairfax Village and both are almost 100% African American neighborhoods on the outskirts of Ward 7 and Ward 8 on the Maryland line.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I think African American families see Ward 7 and Ward 8 as an option and don't mind the river. Actually, I think many African American families see the river as a protective barrier to preserve black culture. It creates a safe space with people that look like you in a walkable neighborhood.

If you think about neighborhoods with neighborhood amenities that are important to certain cultures, Anacostia becomes an option for African American families with urban amenities ran by people of color. The option to work in your community. People can live here and work within walking distance to these places in their own community.

Black IT Firm Enlighten to Anchor the MLK Gateway

MLK Gateway

DHCD DC Agency to Anchor MLK Gateway II

MLK Gateway II

Art Gallery with a Focus on Black Contemporary Artists

Honfleur Gallery
Ward 7 and Ward 8 Black Artists

"Open Crumb" Black Owned Restaurant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogOZ...ature=emb_logo

"Mahogany" Black Book Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ktDXVrPWaQ

"Nubian Hueman" Black Clothing and Goods Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJusw9BHmQ

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-02-2021 at 10:57 PM..

Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Oycrumbler what areas are you referring to that are impoverished in LA? If you're referring to Westlake/MacArthur Park, is it really impoverished to you?
Yea, it is pretty impoverished. An ex of mine used to work for a NGO in Westlake/MacArthur Park area and the number of people crammed into apartments were intense as was a lot of general issues. I think one thing to realize is that the population numbers down there might be off even though the population numbers are already very high, but might actually be higher. There's actually a large contingent of people from Guatemala or the Southern/Eastern parts of Mexico or possibly other parts of Central America that live in fairly large numbers there, but are very suspect of being counted in the census or being registered by any entity as living there as they have a massive and understandable fear of deportation.

It is quite impoverished though we're not talking about, say, streets of Manila kind of poverty and lack of food security/sanitation kind of poverty, but definitely impoverished by US standards. On top of that you also have another, and much more dire in my opinion, situation with the large numbers of homeless people who often have mental health issues and are in pretty large number in and around Central LA region. However, that's very different from the undocumented/illegal immigrants bit because the immigrants are actually very functional and hard-working and create a lot of jobs, retail, restaurants, etc.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:15 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times
The data is 20 years old, but according to the LA Times Mapping page (using 2000 census data), the median household income was $27,000. 81% of households made less than $40,000. And that's just based on the people that felt comfortable responding to the census.

It's gentrified quite a bit since then with Koreatown spilling East and Downtown pushing West. In 2000 only 1.6% of households were above $125,000. With inflation and gentrification, that's probably 10-15% now. Only 8% were above $60,000 and that's probably 30-40% now.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:31 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,424,599 times
Quote:
It's the suburbs, it's going to be that way. I agree and I never go there except to MGM. I was speaking about the demographics. It's a hub for middle class African American's. I think the areas being built in Ward 7 and Ward 8 will attract the same crowd.

On a side note, the Wharf is incredible. Have you been there?
I guess I'm in the minority but I like National Harbor for what it is lol. It offers a nice alternative to the DC waterfronts if you live in PG/Charles County. Hopefully they continue to expand it, connect it to surrounding communities and attractions, and add public transportation (maybe the Yellow Line?).

Old 01-03-2021, 11:44 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I guess I'm in the minority but I like National Harbor for what it is lol. It offers a nice alternative to the DC waterfronts if you live in PG/Charles County. Hopefully they continue to expand it, connect it to surrounding communities and attractions, and add public transportation (maybe the Yellow Line?).
Yeah, I looked at the Google street view and it looked fine to me. Maybe the complaint is that it's a faux urban oasis in the middle of suburbia? I don't know, but it looks ok to me. It looks like something to build upon, although if that were LA the very suburban area around it would be very resistant to any increases in density.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed, having a low walkscore in urban cities is a reflection of the injustices across America throughout our history. Every community should have access to grocery stores with fresh produce, meat, fish, and dry goods. It shouldn't be a small selection, it should be a large variety. That shouldn't be something reserved for wealthy communities.
Yea, and I think it's materially different for AA's compared to some immigrant communities due to the generations of familial and cultural disruption that slavery caused on top of environmental issues specific to the urban cores of US cities through much of the 1900s which might be part of why LA's burned out areas were able to recover so quickly on the backs of immigrant communities (that and the massive influx of population and general growth the LA metropolitan area had).

That being said, much of Central LA and the larger contiguous expanse of dense, urban Los Angeles is structurally denser than Ward 7 and Ward 8.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The data is 20 years old, but according to the LA Times Mapping page (using 2000 census data), the median household income was $27,000. 81% of households made less than $40,000. And that's just based on the people that felt comfortable responding to the census.

It's gentrified quite a bit since then with Koreatown spilling East and Downtown pushing West. In 2000 only 1.6% of households were above $125,000. With inflation and gentrification, that's probably 10-15% now. Only 8% were above $60,000 and that's probably 30-40% now.
Yea, Westlake/MacArthur Park area might actually be simultaneously losing population (though again, possibly not be reflected in the census since there are a lot of undocumented/illegal immigrants in the area) while greatly increasing in structural density with more units and taller buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City