Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 07:54 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
NYC, Chicago, SF, Philly and Boston.

DC, LA, Seattle. In that order.
I’d replace Seattle with Baltimore. Seattle has the much larger downtown, but Baltimore is substantially more urban throughout its entire cityscape (both are roughly 80 sq. mi)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 08:18 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Does the city not get any credit for West Midtown/Upper Westside and the Beltline? Midtown itself has also been filling out rather nicely.
Its getting better for sure. The area definitely feels more urban then it did before and I was just naming a few areas as examples. But all of the developments here still come with parking garages and large open parking lots. This to me isn't exactly urban, it's just "suburban" style urban just like Tysons Corner. You still don't see alot of foot traffic on the sidewalks and there is no Marta stop servicing the area which further leads to less accessibility without a car. It's like a TOD development without the transit. Large chunks of Fulton County is still single family homes on single lots with driveways. The city isn't a top 10 contender here imo.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-21-2020 at 08:29 AM..

Old 12-21-2020, 08:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Its getting better for sure. The area definitely feels more urban then it did before and I was just naming a few areas as examples. But all of the developments here still come with parking garages and large open parking lots. This to me isn't exactly urban, it's just "suburban" style urban just like Tysons Corner. You still don't see alot of foot traffic on the sidewalks and there is no Marta stop servicing the area which further leads to less accessibility without a car. Large chunks of Fulton County is still single family homes on single lots with driveways. The city isn't a top 10 contender here imo.
I'm not arguing that Atlanta is a top 10 contender, but the Upper Westside/West Midtown and the Beltline in particular have most definitely generated a lot of foot traffic. Also a development can include parking and still be relatively urban as long as it properly fronts the street (zero lot lines, street wall that engages pedestrians, etc) and doesn't prioritize drivers. The Upper Westside/West Midtown and the eastside Beltline do a pretty good job at this and the nature of development in those areas isn't like Tysons Corner or Buckhead. The neighborhood commercial districts (East Atlanta Village, Inman Park, Va-Hi, L5P, etc.) deserve a mention also.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:13 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I’d replace Seattle with Baltimore. Seattle has the much larger downtown, but Baltimore is substantially more urban throughout its entire cityscape (both are roughly 80 sq. mi)
Yet Seattle is substantially denser (and has a higher transit commute share).

Some of that is Seattle's apartment districts, which bring concentrated density in a way Baltimore's townhouses don't. And some is Seattle's lack of abandonment.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Yet Seattle is substantially denser and has a higher transit commute share.
That's due to Baltimore's fall from grace. It's original bones of urbanity are still stronger than Seattle's city wide. DT Seattle now is probably ahead of Baltimore, but don't forget in it's heyday Baltimore housed almost 1 million people in 80 sq mi. It's truly like a mini Philly in that regard.

My rankings put Seattle slightly ahead overall now, but that's due to the immense infill that's happened in Seattle's core the past 15 years or so.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I edited my post to note that. But the fact remains.

As for downtowns, Baltimore's feels like a fraction of the size.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
How is that possible if Seattle has a larger population than Baltimore and actually smaller land area and more hilly terrain than Baltimore? Abandoned infrastructure shouldn’t count.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
In order
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philly
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. DC

The 6th most urban is DC.
It's really a top 6 tbh.

Even if DC is after the other 5, the grouping of most urban American cities that IMO will never be surpassed in urbanity in the US cuts off at 6. This won't change in any of our lifetimes and probably not ever.

So the conversation starts at SEA, LA, Balt, Pitt, NO, MIA, ATL, Detroit etc.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:38 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not arguing that Atlanta is a top 10 contender, but the Upper Westside/West Midtown and the Beltline in particular have most definitely generated a lot of foot traffic. Also a development can include parking and still be relatively urban as long as it properly fronts the street (zero lot lines, street wall that engages pedestrians, etc) and doesn't prioritize drivers. The Upper Westside/West Midtown and the eastside Beltline do a pretty good job at this and the nature of development in those areas isn't like Tysons Corner or Buckhead. The neighborhood commercial districts (East Atlanta Village, Inman Park, Va-Hi, L5P, etc.) deserve a mention also.
I think we just have different opinions of urban. I find Virginia Highlands to be really quaint with alot of charm however I don't find it urban at all. It has the few blocks of shops along North Highland Ave and on the south border on Ponce and these are not flanked by high density urban style housing, most of the area is single family homes.

And you can still find suburban style apartment complexes like the below as you can throughout Atlanta city limits
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7757...7i16384!8i8192

And a majority of Virginia Highlands looks like this
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7800...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-21-2020 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-21-2020, 10:05 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's really a top 6 tbh.

Even if DC is after the other 5, the grouping of most urban American cities that IMO will never be surpassed in urbanity in the US cuts off at 6. This won't change in any of our lifetimes and probably not ever.

So the conversation starts at SEA, LA, Balt, Pitt, NO, MIA, ATL, Detroit etc.
I do think it’s a too 6

BUT

ATL is not in this convo. I could think of MANY cities before ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City