Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 07:54 PM

955 posts, read 610,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I think Atlanta is gonna end up somewhere between a mix of DC and LA when it's all said and done. Midtown is really starting to build a pedestrian culture and construction shows no signs of slowing even during COVID. List of urbanizing neighborhoods outside Downtown and Midtown. I'll also post some Midtown for posters who aren't familiar with Atlanta. Once SONO is filled in Atlanta will truly transcend. Won't ever be top 10 though and it isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as urban nodes exist.

Midtown
Tech Square
Plaza Midtown
Colony Square
These are some great projects. I follow Atlanta closely because of how well-done a lot of urban infill is there compared to its peers. I think Atlanta has a LONG way to go but it will start surpassing others soon on the urbanity scale.

My only gripe with these streetviews is - where are the people? Besides the last one, most of these are ghost towns. Hope the new developments improve this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 08:46 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
Maybe I'm a bit too much of a homer, and obviously the NOLA hype-person, but feel NOLA is pretty urban for its size; and maybe isn't top 5, but certainly tops in the south.
No question on NOLA's urbanity. Its core is high quality urbanism in a way that few other cities are. Extra points in my view, also, for being incredibly unique and interesting in its urban flair. That counts for a lot.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
LOL spent plenty of time in both, especially Harm City.

No one goes to Baltimore to walk around, unless they're documenting the decay.

You can walk all over Seattle, from the baseball stadium out to Capitol Hill and up Queen Anne hill. In Philly, you have to stay around Center City.

Sorry the truth is so hard to take. But no one in their right mind thinks Baltimore is a walker's paradise.
One can cover a ton of ground in Baltimore on foot without seeing extensive decay. Downtown, Pigtown, Federal Hill, Inner Harbor/Harbor East, Mt. Vernon, Little Italy, Fells Point, Canton, Charles Village, Hampden, Midtown, Seton Hill, Bolton Hill, Reservoir Hill, Charles Village, etc. constitutes a contiguous, expansive, and very walkable area of Baltimore's urban core so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Philadelphia has MUCH more to offer that is walkable beyond Center City. There's also University City, West Philly, Graduate Hospital, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, South Philly, Bella Vista, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk, etc.

This is all factual information.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:33 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
One can cover a ton of ground in Baltimore on foot without seeing extensive decay. Downtown, Pigtown, Federal Hill, Inner Harbor/Harbor East, Mt. Vernon, Little Italy, Fells Point, Canton, Charles Village, Hampden, Midtown, Seton Hill, Bolton Hill, Reservoir Hill, Charles Village, etc. constitutes a contiguous, expansive, and very walkable area of Baltimore's urban core so I really have no idea what you're talking about.
Add to this list Patterson Park, Highlandtown, Morrell Park, Butchers Hill, Barclay, Waverly, Station Arts, Locust Point and others.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Add to this list Patterson Park, Highlandtown, Morrell Park, Butchers Hill, Barclay, Waverly, Station Arts, Locust Point and others.
Yep. Like what the hell is he talking about?

Old 12-21-2020, 10:18 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In Center City, sure. No one's refuted anything I've said re: DC and Boston being far more walkable than Philly outside of their core downtowns.
I mean way north, south and west. For example I walked north to Temple University Medical Center and back. There were barriers (a walled college, railroads) but it was otherwise a grid with good sidewalks and decent density though pock-marked in places.

PS, Seattle fares well vs. Philly in the 2019 ACS commute stats too. It's unfair to Philly since it's a larger area (it would beat us in a parallel comparison) but still, here goes:
--Philadelphia: 25.5% transit, 8.5% walk, 2.1% bike, 48.8% drive alone.
--Seattle: 25.1% transit, 10.7% walk, 3.7% bike, 44.5% drove alone.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:03 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
These are some great projects. I follow Atlanta closely because of how well-done a lot of urban infill is there compared to its peers. I think Atlanta has a LONG way to go but it will start surpassing others soon on the urbanity scale.

My only gripe with these streetviews is - where are the people? Besides the last one, most of these are ghost towns. Hope the new developments improve this.
Atlanta's infrastructure deters pedestrian activity. Midtown's sidewalks are very narrow for its population and cars regularly speed through W. Peachtree and Spring because they were designed as feeders to get suburbanites in and out of Downtown quickly (before Midtown was a dense neighborhood). There are complete street projects planned to correct this. There are areas in Atlanta being built completely around pedestrians like these developments along the beltline.(Beltline@Edgewood
727 Ponce)

Old 12-21-2020, 11:37 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Atlanta's infrastructure deters pedestrian activity. Midtown's sidewalks are very narrow for its population and cars regularly speed through W. Peachtree and Spring because they were designed as feeders to get suburbanites in and out of Downtown quickly (before Midtown was a dense neighborhood). There are complete street projects planned to correct this. There are areas in Atlanta being built completely around pedestrians like these developments along the beltline.(Beltline@Edgewood
727 Ponce)
An Atlanta foumer brought Atlanta into a conversation where Atlanta doesn't belong per usual and/or as always. Moving on back to the topic.......

Old 12-22-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
An Atlanta foumer brought Atlanta into a conversation where Atlanta doesn't belong per usual and/or as always. Moving on back to the topic.......
Good Lord...this thread is over five years old and Atlanta was first mentioned way back on the second page by a non-Atlantan that seems to no longer be a member here. Other cities like Minneapolis and Detroit, which also "don't belong," were mentioned when this thread was resurrected a few days ago but they obviously don't trigger you like Atlanta does.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:09 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good Lord...this thread is over five years old and Atlanta was first mentioned way back on the second page by a non-Atlantan that seems to no longer be a member here. Other cities like Minneapolis and Detroit, which also "don't belong," were mentioned when this thread was resurrected a few days ago but they obviously don't trigger you like Atlanta does.
Yup... I've never hidden my bias. Atlanta isn't the gem people try to make it out to be in my opinion and its forumers are my least favorite as a collective on CD. Just like Atlanta being one of your darling cities, your bias is showing as well by trying to highlight little 4-5 block sections of street retail surrounded by single family homes scattered throughout the city that aren't even connected to each other, and require a car to get to for the most part. This isnt unique or special as basically every other major city has this especially in the older burbs. It's like giving a t-shirt credit for having sleeves...

And Minneapolis/Detroit were brought in by other forumers and not locals from what I can see.... you see the difference?

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-22-2020 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City