Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 12:32 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Can we not have another DC vs Boston urbanity argument. It always ends with Boston being more urban at the end of a multipage, multithread argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 12:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
^^^ I don't think that's happening here, maybe the wrong thread.

Boston is top 5 in urbanity in the US. DC is 6th. Then comes the debate after that.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:40 PM

90 posts, read 55,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Boston has over 900k in its inner 57 square miles. . . if that's your sole criterion.
Not my sole reason, It's just Los Angeles is so big that most people wouldn't realize how urban it's city core is unless they actually visit the place instead of judging it by what they show on t.v.

Urban research needs to be performed using urban densities. That can be at the metropolitan area level or even the state level.

It may be surprising that California, which largely defined the suburbanized urban form that developed after World War II has the highest urban population density in the nation. California’s urban areas have an average density of 4300 per square mile.

California has the three most densely populated large urban areas in the country: Los Angeles at approximately 7000 residents per square mile,

San Francisco at approximately 6300 residents per square mile and San Jose with approximately 5800 residents per square mile.

New York (5300 residents per square mile).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gov...ies.html%3fAMP

Old 12-27-2020, 12:50 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg77 View Post
Not my sole reason, It's just Los Angeles is so big that most people wouldn't realize how urban it's city core is unless they actually visit the place instead of judging it by what they show on t.v.

Urban research needs to be performed using urban densities. That can be at the metropolitan area level or even the state level.

It may be surprising that California, which largely defined the suburbanized urban form that developed after World War II has the highest urban population density in the nation. California’s urban areas have an average density of 4300 per square mile.

California has the three most densely populated large urban areas in the country: Los Angeles at approximately 7000 residents per square mile,

San Francisco at approximately 6300 residents per square mile and San Jose with approximately 5800 residents per square mile.

New York (5300 residents per square mile).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gov...ies.html%3fAMP
No one is discrediting LA's population density (they are that dense in part because of geography limiting their sprawl).

The debate here is about the physical/structural urbanity of the city, not population density.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:56 PM

90 posts, read 55,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
No one is discrediting LA's population density (they are that dense in part because of geography limiting their sprawl).

The debate here is about the physical/structural urbanity of the city, not population density.
I agree with that, I was just pointing out that Los Angeles is so big that you won't see it. But if we took Central LA by itself, we're talking about an area of physical urbanization with 873k in under 57 sq miles.If I cut off 10 sq miles of the surrounding mountains,than it'll be higher.

I think we even can argue Seattle as a top 6 urban structure. It's just a great debate that can go either way because D.C and Boston are kinda neck and neck.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:39 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
I agree with that, I was just pointing out that Los Angeles is so big that you won't see it. But if we took Central LA by itself, we're talking about an area of physical urbanization with 873k in under 57 sq miles.If I cut off 10 sq miles of the surrounding mountains,than it'll be higher.

I think we even can argue Seattle as a top 6 urban structure. It's just a great debate that can go either way because D.C and Boston are kinda neck and neck.
Seattle's urban structure is certainly more walkable than LA's. Not discounting LA's density but it needs to work on pedestrian activity and its car culture.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Central LA has 873k in 57sqmiles.
The entirety of Cambridge, Somerville, Boston (58sqmile) have close to 1.5 million (1.15 Million Boston, 210k in Cambridge, 108k in Soerville) people by daytime population.
Im sure DC+Arlington is in that ballpark, ableit, a much bigger space.

I forgot about Seattle though, a lot more urban han it is given credit for:

NYC

CHICAGO SF

PHILLY BOS

SEATTLE DC LA MIAMI

ATLANTA BALTIMORE

Old 12-27-2020, 02:52 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Central LA has 873k in 57sqmiles.
The entirety of Cambridge, Somerville, Boston (58sqmile) have close to 1.5 million (1.15 Million Boston, 210k in Cambridge, 108k in Soerville) people by daytime population.
Im sure DC+Arlington is in that ballpark, ableit, a much bigger space.

I forgot about Seattle though, a lot more urban han it is given credit for:

NYC

CHICAGO SF

PHILLY BOS

SEATTLE DC LA MIAMI

ATLANTA BALTIMORE
San Francisco isn't above Philly let alone another tier

Old 12-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
San Francisco isn't above Philly let alone another tier
Yes it is.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

The original question didn't specifically say structural. It simply said which is more urban.
Urban to me includes convenience to stores, restaurants, markets etc. Public transportation, walkability is all part of an area being urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City