Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 06:17 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would agree, but this seems like an apples to oranges comparison. You are showing a wide street area in "Korea Town/Central LA" compared to wide street in "downtown DC." If you look at wide streets in "downtown LA" to make the comparison even, I'm not sure that they are that different in terms of urbanity:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0532...7i16384!8i8192
That looks like Bethesda, Arlington, just bigger. Not DC.

The difference with not just LA, but a number of other cities when comparing the urban core to DC, is that they drop off to this level in multiple directions. That last link of LA I posted was in an entirely different direction to the West, this is 1 mile to the East of central DTLA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0399...7i16384!8i8192

DC stays more urban and "tall" for longer, and it's not just compared to LA, heck we go through this with Philly and Boston vs DC all the time. DC's urban core is 12+ story for much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 06:35 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That looks like Bethesda, Arlington, just bigger. Not DC.

The difference with not just LA, but a number of other cities when comparing the urban core to DC, is that they drop off to this level in multiple directions. That last link of LA I posted was in an entirely different direction to the West, this is 1 mile to the East of central DTLA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0399...7i16384!8i8192

DC stays more urban and "tall" for longer, and it's not just compared to LA, heck we go through this with Philly and Boston vs DC all the time. DC's urban core is 12+ story for much longer.
DTLA isn't really the center of LA's urban like downtown is for DC. It's far to the East of LA's city limits. The middle of downtown LA is already about 4 miles from the core of LA's urban area, so your link above is 5 miles from the core.

Compare the image of LA five miles from the core to one of DC five miles from the core.

https://goo.gl/maps/5tBfVmpSL9kuJA7S8

I'm sure that there are better examples, but I don't think that this is that far off from average.

I made a list of selected views for LA in post 8 of this thread. https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ttle-most.html

Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 PM

2,816 posts, read 2,283,271 times
My take is that DC is more conventionally urban than LA. It has a big central office district that is exceeded only by NYC and Chicago in office space then it has maybe a 20 sq mile traditional urban residential core consisting of rowhouses and low/mid-rise apartments then that gives way to single family homes and some garden apartments in the outter city neighborhoods and inner-suburbs and finally more traditional low density suburbia with disconnected cul-de-sacs, strip malls.

LA has a huge dense basin that consists of an endless grid of tightly packed single family homes and tons of garden apartments. It's not traditionally urban like DC and doesn't "function" like a traditional downtown- centric urban city, but it holds its density over a much larger expanse.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
My take is that DC is more conventionally urban than LA. It has a big central office district that is exceeded only by NYC and Chicago in office space then it has maybe a 20 sq mile traditional urban residential core consisting of rowhouses and low/mid-rise apartments then that gives way to single family homes and some garden apartments in the outter city neighborhoods and inner-suburbs and finally more traditional low density suburbia with disconnected cul-de-sacs, strip malls.

LA has a huge dense basin that consists of an endless grid of tightly packed single family homes and tons of garden apartments. It's not traditionally urban like DC and doesn't "function" like a traditional downtown- centric urban city, but it holds its density over a much larger expanse.
This sums it all up.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

I don't think that the bolded is accurate. LA has a very dense 50 square miles or so that has relatively few single family homes and very few garden apartment style developments, if you mean what I think that you mean by that term. It's primarily apartment buildings (one building per property) that are tightly packed, with some single family homes and neighborhoods mixed in.

This area of LA is both residential/employment intense. More residential intense than DC, but not nearly the job intensity that DC has.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:56 PM

This is what I think of when I hear "garden apartment". A complex with multiple buildings 2-3 stories tall. Is that what's meant? Because that's more characteristic of suburban LA than the core. The one below is in Inglewood.

https://goo.gl/maps/eDyHfxdBnEF8EUadA

Old 12-30-2020, 08:05 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
This is what I think of when I hear "garden apartment". A complex with multiple buildings 2-3 stories tall. Is that what's meant? Because that's more characteristic of suburban LA than the core. The one below is in Inglewood.

Sunbelt full of these too.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Sunbelt full of these too.
Yup. I think that they must have been super popular in the 50's through the 80's. Not saying that LA doesn't have a ton, but they aren't typical of the core as most of the core is older than that.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

Yes that's exactly what it is.
Garden apartments are typical of suburban areas. Low-rise building loosely connected with courtyards. The backs of the buildings are usually wrapped in surface parking

Old 12-30-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yes that's exactly what it is.
Garden apartments are typical of suburban areas. Low-rise building loosely connected with courtyards. The backs of the buildings are usually wrapped in surface parking
Yeah, thank you. I've lived in more than one in the Southeast and also two other ones in LA. The ones in LA are much more tightly packed, but still suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City