Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 AM

233 posts, read 334,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^True. But by Philly standards, not so dense - more leafy green.

CC still houses most of the absolute powerbrokers of the city who choose not to live and commute in from Bryn Mawr or Villanova.
Chestnut Hill is not particularly dense by Philly standards (comparable I'd say to the densest parts of the Main Line). However, I'd argue that it feels at least as if not more pedestrian friendly and walkable than some neighborhoods in the Northeast that objectively have much higher (20-30k per square mile) population densities.

Oh and to the OP, I think Oakland contains the most urban neighborhoods that I have personally been in outside of your top 5 (West Oakland and Chinatown)

Last edited by thwanko; 06-20-2015 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore has plenty of business owned by immigrants. There are ethnic enclaves in Baltimore that DC lacks.
I'm talking about low income neighborhoods like East Baltimore etc. It's really the same issue in almost all black neighborhoods across America except those with foreign born residents.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
I would say..

6. DC
7. LA
8. Miami
9. SF
10. Atlanta

I noticed Baltimore was mentioned which does not make sense to me, even though it has history I do not believe this city is anywhere near the caliber of the cities listed above from an urban standpoint.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 PM

34 posts, read 49,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I would say..

6. DC
7. LA
8. Miami
9. SF
10. Atlanta

I noticed Baltimore was mentioned which does not make sense to me, even though it has history I do not believe this city is anywhere near the caliber of the cities listed above from an urban standpoint.
SF at #9?! It's arguably 2 or 3.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:22 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I would say..

6. DC
7. LA
8. Miami
9. SF
10. Atlanta

Atlanta and Miami more urban than Baltimore? What parallel universe are you living in?

Old 06-20-2015, 09:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
Curious about what his top 5 would be..

Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm talking about low income neighborhoods like East Baltimore etc. It's really the same issue in almost all black neighborhoods across America except those with foreign born residents.
Actually, blacks don't own most of the businesses in black, low income neighborhoods. They're almost always own and operated by immigrants. Even the businesses in the part of East Baltimore that youre referring to is run by immigrants. You have to look at what kind of businesses are in low income neighborhoods, then look at the people who are most likely to run that kind of establishment.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
I would say..

6. DC
7. LA
8. Miami
9. SF
10. Atlanta

Saying that Baltimore isn't in the caliber of other cities isn't even an option. There are plenty of neighborhoods that compete with the top 5 urban cities without question.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:26 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Atlanta and Miami more urban than Baltimore? What parallel universe are you living in?
Took the exact same words out of my mouth.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:08 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
I have been thinking about the gap between Tier 6 (average cities) and Tier 5 (honorable mentions). It has certainly occurred to me that a Tier 6 city might make it only part way to Tier 5. After fixing up downtown and adding a Yuppie neighborhood or two, it is easy to see the stalling of further urbanization/urbanity. This is an auto-centric era in an auto-centric country.

I have become a pessimist.

Conceivably, a city might create a "mildly urban" area, as Tempe was described in another thread. (Wikipedia described this as a "fairly dense, urbanized pattern in the northern part of the city"). Perhaps around an old downtown and those two yuppie neighborhood. And thereby achieve a sort of 6+ rating.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-21-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City