Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times

Advertisements

I never trust visitor stats. International visitor stats seem to be the most reliable, but total visitor stats are always wayyyy over the map. San Francisco only gets ~16 million total visitors a year according to its equivalent of a CVB or Chamber of Commerce, yet somehow cities like San Antonio get 2-3x as many (anyone who has been to both would undoubtedly expect SF to have many times more tourists based on how many tourists are covering its sidewalks all over the city at any given time of the year). Anecdotally, from visiting lots of cities, there is nothing, *nothing*, that will convince me that Baltimore, a city that most people I know have never been to and have no reason go and frankly have nothing positive to say about, receives more tourism than our nation's capital, which is also a *MUCH* larger city with *FAR MORE* things to do and places to see. Not trying to knock Baltimore, but please people, be careful when throwing out big numbers you don't know much about...measuring tourism is not as cut and dry as taking a Census, and it's actually easier to track the internationals than it is to track someone driving in for a day or weekend leisure trip from somewhere relatively nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:05 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
I mean, the Inner Harbor has the National Aquarium and some other notable places, but the Mall has the Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pool, WWII Memorial, MLK Memorial, Cherry Blossom Festival, the Smithsonian, Washington Monument, Capitol, etc. It's hard to believe the Inner Harbor would be anywhere close in visitor numbers.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:20 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I mean, the Inner Harbor has the National Aquarium and some other notable places, but the Mall has the Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pool, WWII Memorial, MLK Memorial, Cherry Blossom Festival, the Smithsonian, Washington Monument, Capitol, etc. It's hard to believe the Inner Harbor would be anywhere close in visitor numbers.
Looks like there's a bunch to *see* at the National Mall vs more to *do* at the inner harbor.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I never trust visitor stats. International visitor stats seem to be the most reliable, but total visitor stats are always wayyyy over the map. San Francisco only gets ~16 million total visitors a year according to its equivalent of a CVB or Chamber of Commerce, yet somehow cities like San Antonio get 2-3x as many (anyone who has been to both would undoubtedly expect SF to have many times more tourists based on how many tourists are covering its sidewalks all over the city at any given time of the year). Anecdotally, from visiting lots of cities, there is nothing, *nothing*, that will convince me that Baltimore, a city that most people I know have never been to and have no reason go and frankly have nothing positive to say about, receives more tourism than our nation's capital, which is also a *MUCH* larger city with *FAR MORE* things to do and places to see. Not trying to knock Baltimore, but please people, be careful when throwing out big numbers you don't know much about...measuring tourism is not as cut and dry as taking a Census, and it's actually easier to track the internationals than it is to track someone driving in for a day or weekend leisure trip from somewhere relatively nearby.
There's probably more people living within driving distance of San Antonio. I think that is what keeps SF numbers a little low; not many people within driving distance to visit.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
When did DC become a much larger city than Baltimore? Metro, yes, but City....No. I'm almost certain that Baltimore is the most underrated city in the country. Even people from Baltimore are unaware of what goes in here...very sad. Baltimore is still more urban than Seattle tho, the structural density didn't drop off since Baltimore's population peak of just under a million. Seattle has yet to hit those numbers, and yet to hit Baltimore's urbanity.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-23-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When did DC become a much larger city than Baltimore? Metro, yes, but City....No. I'm almost certain that Baltimore is the most underrated city in the country. Even people from Baltimore are unaware of what goes in here...very sad.
DC's city population only recently passed Baltimore's (shortly after the 2010 census) and the growth rate for DC continues to be greater than Baltimore's. Not much larger right now, but just a smidge. Moreover, DC is doing it in a smaller physical area, so has higher density overall. If you wanted a more apples to apples comparison, you can look at the census tracts and make a glob of contiguous tracts to compare.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS35 View Post
I can understand that perspective for sure. In terms of the raw numbers, Seattle and Baltimore are very similar (per wikipedia, Seattle data is 2014, Balitmore is 2013):

Seattle Population: 668, 342
Balitmore Population: 622,104

Seattle Density: 7,969 PPSM
Baltimore Density: 7,671 PPSM
Seattle population change since 1990: +152,000
Baltimore population change since 1990: -114,000

run the population density numbers in a few years, and the gap will be even greater

This whole debate is ridiculous. Baltimore isn't even in the top 15 for household density per sq mile, and has less office space than edge cities like Stamford and Tyson's Corner. At best, it's comparable to Cleveland, but it's nowhere near the top 10 urban locations in the country.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
That's crap

Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:

Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When did DC become a much larger city than Baltimore? Metro, yes, but City....No. I'm almost certain that Baltimore is the most underrated city in the country. Even people from Baltimore are unaware of what goes in here...very sad. Baltimore is still more urban than Seattle tho, the structural density didn't drop off since Baltimore's population peak of just under a million. Seattle has yet to hit those numbers, and yet to hit Baltimore's urbanity.
Yes city too. Apparently you've missed the boat on that one.

DC: 658,893 as of 2014 (growing at a more significant rate than Bmore) and pop density of 10,528 ppsm.

Bmore: 622,104 as of 2013 (sluggish growth rate) and pop density of 7,671.5 ppsm.

So yes, I'd say DC is not only the larger metro area but also the larger CITY and it will only continue to experience steady leaps in population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City