Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 03:07 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
Just depends what's meant by urban. On density alone LA wins but I think most would argue that there's a little more to it than just density. Boston is more walkable, more lively, and has a more urban built form than LA
In that "What if your city was 47 square miles thread," I believe Boston was denser than L.A. once you included surrounding areas such as Cambridge and Somerville. After 47 square miles, however, Los Angeles pulls away from Boston and from the rest of the pack for that matter (with perhaps the exception of Chicago at 200 square miles or so).

The only city that can't keep stride with L.A. on a pure density basis is DC.

That 47 square mile cutoff makes some sense to me. How many cities outside of NYC have any type of interesting urbanity outside of 47 square miles? That's basically Manhattan and a huge chunk of Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In that "What if your city was 47 square miles thread," I believe Boston was denser than L.A. once you included surrounding areas such as Cambridge and Somerville. After 47 square miles, however, Los Angeles pulls away from Boston and from the rest of the pack for that matter (with perhaps the exception of Chicago at 200 square miles or so).

The only city that can't keep stride with L.A. on a pure density basis is DC.

That 47 square mile cutoff makes some sense to me. How many cities outside of NYC have any type of interesting urbanity outside of 47 square miles? That's basically Manhattan and a huge chunk of Brooklyn.
It will be so interesting having this discussion after the new census. D.C. has developed more vacant land than any other city in this debate. It's too bad we only have access to numbers prior to D.C.'s boom. Most of D.C.'s growth has been in new neighborhoods such as Capital Riverfront, NOMA/Union Market, The Wharf/SW Waterfront, Brookland, and now there is major growth happening in Ward 7 and Ward 8.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It will be so interesting having this discussion after the new census. D.C. has developed more vacant land than any other city in this debate. It's too bad we only have access to numbers prior to D.C.'s boom. Most of D.C.'s growth has been in new neighborhoods such as Capital Riverfront, NOMA/Union Market, The Wharf/SW Waterfront, Brookland, and now there is major growth happening in Ward 7 and Ward 8.
DC needs to have a population of approximately 1.1 million people to match the human density of these other cities.

DC will never be that dense and it certainly won't get there by adding buildings with an average household size of 1.2

Old 06-24-2015, 04:01 PM

How urban is Brownsville at street level?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wwL1BVOqv8

Old 06-24-2015, 04:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
From what I remember, Boston's 47 square milesstill came out less than Los Angeles, even including Cambridge and Somerville. It was 800-900,000 in 47 square miles. Boston is just smaller.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From what I remember, Boston's 47 square milesstill came out less than Los Angeles, even including Cambridge and Somerville. It was 800-900,000 in 47 square miles. Boston is just smaller.
That's pretty much the same as Los Angeles.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Mini-site produced by LA Magazine on Los Angeles' growth and urbanization:

L.A. On The Verge - Home

Interesting read and actually pretty slick web design.
Good to see them including the Valley in the discussion.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
SoCal is not within driving distance of NorCal? 20-25 million people in LA/OC/SD and points around can't drive 5-8 hours up? Moreover, there are more people in nearby Sacramento (and other parts of NorCal) than there are people in Austin (talking adjacent metros). So I don't buy the driving argument (not to mention the world's busiest air route or at least #2 is LA-SF, particularly when you factor in all the airports in each metro area...something like 3 or 4 million people a year fly between the two cities alone).

So you wouldn't say that the:

Washington Monument observatory
National Museum of American History
National Museum of Natural History
National Gallery of Art
National Museum of the American Indian
National Air and Space Museum
Hirshorn Museum
Smithsonian Castle
Freer Gallery
Touring the US Capitol
Taking a picture in front of the White House
Newseum
US Holocaust Museum
and touring the Bureau of Printing and Engraving

aren't things to do on/along the National Mall?

DC does have higher population (in smaller area, along with more amenities, more office space, more of everything), but really I'm thinking about the 5-6 million people that surround DC and are DC-centric versus the 2 million people that surround Baltimore. That's a huge difference.

See above - Baltimore and Boston are the "same size" the way you're looking at it. And Jacksonville is larger. None of that is true. Baltimore is much larger than Jacksonville, and Boston is much larger than Baltimore.
Given the context, it seems pretty obvious that he was thinking about driving distance (which is definitely a loose term since Montreal is definitely in driving distance of Los Angeles since you can technically drive there) in terms of a day trip. Given that, it's pretty rare that someone would drive up from LA or SD to the Bay Area as a day trip. It's definitely something that gets done for a long weekend or something longer, but long weekends and longer are a much higher barrier than a day trip is. It's interesting, because in general people have pretty standard work weeks and so there's probably a pretty steep drop off for certain trips among day trips, weekend trips, and long weekend trips. For me and those I know, in terms of Los Angeles and south, long weekends were good for SF, but weekends just didn't seem worth it unless you got out early on Friday or could come in later on Monday, while Vegas weekend trips were doable though that drive was something like just an hour and a half to two hours shorter each way shorter.

I'm not looking at it that way. I'm telling the guy how to put it into perspective because physical land area of legal boundaries doesn't give anyone a particularly realistic measure of things.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-24-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's pretty much the same as Los Angeles.
I think nei had posted some really good density calculations before. Probably time to repost those. Do estimates (like the 2014 one) give census tract level resolution?

Old 06-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Aren't there 2014 census estimates? Those were for July 1st, 2014, I believe. That's about a year away, but I think DCs boom was before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City