Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 07:01 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Lets settle this once and for all.. How in the world is Baltimore City "significantly larger" than both Miami and Atlanta? Not only are both Miami and Atlanta larger in all aspects (both physically and by population) but they are also more dense than Baltimore, there is no question about this, please see link below as a reference, I see Miami listed multiple times, I do not see Baltimore anywhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...er_square_mile

End of story.
You are posting suburbs again, not Miami itself. We are talking about the actual cities, not the entire metropolitan areas. Yes Miami is denser. But it's still an auto centric city and not a very pedestrian friendly city either. Also, Atlanta is nowhere near as dense as Baltimore. Or walkable for that matter throughout the city. The city of Baltimore has a larger population than both Atlanta and Miami. Atlanta physical city limits are larger than both and Miami is denser. But Baltimore is structurally denser than both Atlanta and Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
Quote:
Lets settle this once and for all.. How in the world is Baltimore City "significantly larger" than both Miami and Atlanta? Not only are both Miami and Atlanta larger in all aspects (both physically and by population) but they are also more dense than Baltimore, there is no question about this, please see link below as a reference, I see Miami listed multiple times, I do not see Baltimore anywhere.

End of story.
Baltimore is way more dense than Atlanta and Miami.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Baltimore is way more dense than Atlanta and Miami.
Well no the city of Miami is denser than Baltimore. Both are way more dense than Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:

Not only do both Miami and Atlanta blow Baltimore out of the park in terms of overall population counts, but in terms of core downtown areas (hence areas that would be considered "urban" as discussed in this thread) both Downtown Miami and Atlanta are at least TRIPLE the size of Downtown Baltimore.
None of that has a thing to do with relative urbanity.

Venice, Italy has like 60k people and Houston has like 2.5 million people, and Houston's downtown is bigger than the whole city of Venice, yet Venice is about 1000 times more urban.

Miami and Atlanta have no neigborhoods comparable to the most urban Baltimore neighborhoods. The one possible exception is if you count South Beach for Miami. Then there's a limited area that matches Baltimore. Atlanta, just no, completely silly to compare. The most urban residential area in Atlanta would be considered suburban in the Northeast Corridor.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:18 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,032 times
Quote:

End of story.
I love it when people don't know what they are talking about

First and foremost you were wrong comparing Metro population numbers as a means of urbanity

Yes Miami and Atlanta has a higher metro population than Baltimore but what you failed to realize is size.

Lets start with population count by MSA: Yes Lets

Miami Metro - 6,375,434 size: 6,137 sq miles density: 966/sq mi
Atlanta Metro - 6,092,295 size: 8,376 sq miles density: 630/sq mi
Baltimore Metro - 2,753,149 size: 2,601.48 sq miles density: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Maryland land area 12,407 sq mi yeah enough said Miami and Atlanta Metro is nearly as big as the whole state of Maryland and 2x-4x bigger than the Baltimore Metro. So for there to be almost 3 million people in the Baltimore Metro a smaller area that can only fit so many people packed in a like sardines speaks density levels on a scale larger than Atlanta or Miami. So that was fail #1

Fail #2 to be continued let me gather my sources

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:50 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 07:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
If you're going to calculate density, don't use MSA use urban area, they go by county lines and included lightly inhabited areas. Most of the Miami MSA is the Everglades.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:49 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Dude, what does office space have to do with being urban.
All large U.S. downtowns have significant office space, and it's very closely correlated to the number of jobs in the downtown requiring a college degree. In turn, this is a good measure of economic importance.

It's also an important measure of the city's tax base, with municipalities relying so heavily on property tax.

Baltimore has just 13 million square feet of Class A office space, less than Pittsburgh and Stamford, CT. Moreover, it rents for an average of just $21/year per sq ft.

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/File...14Q2_FINAL.PDF

Old 06-21-2015, 08:47 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
All large U.S. downtowns have significant office space, and it's very closely correlated to the number of jobs in the downtown requiring a college degree. In turn, this is a good measure of economic importance.

It's also an important measure of the city's tax base, with municipalities relying so heavily on property tax.

Baltimore has just 13 million square feet of Class A office space, less than Pittsburgh and Stamford, CT. Moreover, it rents for an average of just $21/year per sq ft.

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/File...14Q2_FINAL.PDF
KodeBlue is right comparing an edge city to a real city. Even though Tysons have more office space Baltimore is the 12 largest employment center in the nation in a one mile radius of its downtown core among the top 25 largest metro cities. It is a vital economic engine for the region. While Tysons and Baltimore employ around 100+thousand people only difference is Tysons is a place, where most people come to work or shop and then leave immediately while downtown Baltimore is actually a place where people live and is the fastest growing residential neighborhood in the entire city oh and the city actually has increased its population to those who did not know back in 2013.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 06-21-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Yes, I firmly stand behind my statement and I will explain why. Lets start with population count by MSA:

Miami Metro - 6,375,434
Atlanta Metro - 6,092,295
Baltimore Metro - 2,753,149

Not only do both Miami and Atlanta blow Baltimore out of the park in terms of overall population counts, but in terms of core downtown areas (hence areas that would be considered "urban" as discussed in this thread) both Downtown Miami and Atlanta are at least TRIPLE the size of Downtown Baltimore. I have personally visited all three cities; it is undeniable that Miami and Atlanta feel and look significantly more urban than Baltimore. Just because Baltimore is an old established city, has ethnic enclaves, and *used* to be a major industrial powerhouse does not mean that the city is more "urban" than other cities in any way or form. Not to mention population counts in Baltimore are DECLINING due to economic issues and poor leadership from local government entities. I recently spent a weekend in Baltimore's Inner Harbor area and it looked like a ghost town.
Wow really shaking things up among the "East Coast = height of urban" crowd. Bravo.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,433,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I love it when people don't know what they are talking about

First and foremost you were wrong comparing Metro population numbers as a means of urbanity

Yes Miami and Atlanta has a higher metro population than Baltimore but what you failed to realize is size.

Lets start with population count by MSA: Yes Lets

Miami Metro - 6,375,434 size: 6,137 sq miles density: 966/sq mi
Atlanta Metro - 6,092,295 size: 8,376 sq miles density: 630/sq mi
Baltimore Metro - 2,753,149 size: 2,601.48 sq miles density: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Maryland land area 12,407 sq mi yeah enough said Miami and Atlanta Metro is nearly as big as the whole state of Maryland and 2x-4x bigger than the Baltimore Metro. So for there to be almost 3 million people in the Baltimore Metro a smaller area that can only fit so many people packed in a like sardines speaks density levels on a scale larger than Atlanta or Miami. So that was fail #1

Fail #2 to be continued let me gather my sources
Where are you getting this information from? If you are going to go as far as typing everything in red then at least try to pull actual facts. Please click the link below and review the actual data, as seen in this chart, once again, BOTH Miami and Atlanta are ranked higher than Baltimore on the urban density chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...10_Urban_Areas

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City